Do i need a router if i buy an adapter?

salad82

WiiChat Member
May 18, 2007
Hello,

if i buy a compatible USB to ethernet adapter, can i simply plug the USB end into the wii and the Ethernet end DIRECTLY into the PC? or does this NEED to go through a router?

Hey!!!

Someone else with my problem!!! I'm in the proses of finding out myself!!!

From what i have been told you need to connect via a ICS connection and use a diffrent cable to the 'patch cable' supplied wif the LAN adapter.

Or

Just get a router or wirless connection or usb dongle.

Hope this helps?

ive been looking at all the options and there are so many mixed reviews...

can see where i can but an official dongle in england, yet there is no one sight that can tell me of a router, dongle (non official) that will work etc...

I need either a compatable dongle (to buy from a shop in england)

or modem or any information really.

looked on the officical nintendo sight and it said in most cases you cannot plug directly in and it must go through a router, didnt say definate though to be fair

don't even go there.... your saying i can't connect through ics!?!? :incazzato: :cryin:

I just bought a lead and every thik!?!??!?! AHHHHHHHHHH

Thought you could!!!!

im not too sure, im just passing on what it said on the nintendo site... i dont want to have to buy a router, wanted to plug straight in using the adapter.

ANYONE IN ENGLAND KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A COMPATIBLE WIFI DONGLE? OR LIST COMPATIBLE DONGLES....

thanks

guys...

there's no need to buy a wireless dongle. the Wii has wireless 802.11b/g (11Mbps/54Mbps) straight out of the box.

please read through my reply to Gizzavii which gives a hyperlink to practicallynetworked.com

you will find all the necessary information there regarding ICS.

please be aware that you will need to assign the Wii with a "manual" IP address which falls within the same IP range as the "host" PC, which will probably be 192.168.0.1
the Wii would need to be set @ 192.168.0.2

subnet mask values would be 255.255.255.0 for this IP range.
hth

have my dongle now...

the dongle is because my pc isnt wireless, not for the Wii...

do i need a router now?

or will the dongle give out a wiress signal to the Wii?

you don't need a router if you have bought a wireless dongle.

although, for the extra £20 or so i'd go for a router every time.

HI!!
FR3344LL you Helped me big time. but i have found out since that you cannot connect wii through ics!! Even my IT guy at work had a go!?!?!?

I'm going for the usb wifi nintendo job!! :scared:

gizzavii

i'm really suprised that your IT guy can't get the wii connected via ICS.....

even if you buy the wifi dongle, it is still going to need to be connected via ICS as the host pc will "be" the internet gateway!!.

it is exactly the same principal as using the LAN adaptor except it's wireless.

how far did you get with setting up ICS?

there is absolutely no reason why any internet capable console cannot be connected to an ICS enabled pc.

Well now i'm scared. I'm not brill on Pc's but i have limited knowledge??

I connected the switch cable to the back of my pc via ethernet port. I then set up connection sharing with my current internet dial up service... (i think the problem might be there.) I have broadband through tiscali which is called 'dial up'?

Any way under that is a high speed connection thingy which i never used before and it always sais a network cable is unpluged??

I set up the ics off the dial up conection and connected wii. I also turned off the fire wall to allow the wii acsess to the network i just set up.

But i got the message saying the wii could not find the internet connection.

Could it be something to do with the 'local area network' being unpluged?

Can i make this connection with my current setup??

the reason for "network cable unplugged" could be one of two things:-
1. it's the wrong cable - if you connect a pc to another pc/console directly (pc--->pc/console) you need a "crossover" cable, and you need to give the two devices "fixed" IP addresses in the same range i.e. pc1 = 192.168.1.1 pc/console2 = 192.168.1.2

2. this message also appears when a windows XP pc cannot locate a DHCP server....it will try for a few minutes, then give up and allocate itself an IP of 169.264.x.x which is known as APIPA (automatic private IP address).

you need to enable ICS on the connection which is your internet connection.

ok, so it doesn't matter about the fact that i have dial up broadband?

or

that there are 'network cables unpluged?'

I need to asign correct 'ip' address for both the wii and my pc? How do i find these address? Or will the cd rom you get with the usb dongle have this info... better yet do it for me?

And also how do i know if i have a network card?? My PC is a dell dimension and is only about a year old if that!?!?

gizzavii said:
ok, so it doesn't matter about the fact that i have dial up Or will the cd rom you get with the usb dongle have this info... better yet do it for me?
P.s i don't mean you do it for me... i mean the cd rom!?!:lol:

dial up broadband?

isn't your connection set to "always on"? in the settings for ICS it has the option to allow "other users" to control the connection...

as for your pc having a network card (NIC), it definitely has if you've been able to connect a patch or crossover cable to it.

if your internet connection has definitely been configured to allow ICS, then i'd have thought that the supplied software that comes bundled with the USB dongle would configure the pc correctly.

once that is done, go into the Wii internet settings and go through the wireless side of it.

Back