Do i need a router if i buy an adapter?

FR3344LL said:
guys...

there's no need to buy a wireless dongle. the Wii has wireless 802.11b/g (11Mbps/54Mbps) straight out of the box.

please read through my reply to Gizzavii which gives a hyperlink to practicallynetworked.com

you will find all the necessary information there regarding ICS.

please be aware that you will need to assign the Wii with a "manual" IP address which falls within the same IP range as the "host" PC, which will probably be 192.168.0.1
the Wii would need to be set @ 192.168.0.2

subnet mask values would be 255.255.255.0 for this IP range.
hth

some people should really read the manual. i already had a wireless network setup and all i did was turn on my Wii follow the instructions, and in no time i had my Wii connected to the I-Net.....its flawless

FR3344LL said:
dial up broadband?

isn't your connection set to "always on"? in the settings for ICS it has the option to allow "other users" to control the connection...

urm... i think so? To log on to the net at home i have to double click the network icon on screen and add my username and password.... then it sais in bottom right hand corner of screen tiscali123 now connected??

as for your pc having a network card (NIC), it definitely has if you've been able to connect a patch or crossover cable to it.

i have connected a crossova cable to my pc but i never saw any message say ing that it was 'connected'... nothing on the screen to say the wii was even there??

if your internet connection has definitely been configured to allow ICS, then i'd have thought that the supplied software that comes bundled with the USB dongle would configure the pc correctly.

once that is done, go into the Wii internet settings and go through the wireless side of it.

Cheers for the help again.... i just can't seem to grasp this?!?!?

P-Rez25 said:
some people should really read the manual. i already had a wireless network setup and all i did was turn on my Wii follow the instructions, and in no time i had my Wii connected to the I-Net.....its flawless

i'd agree with you...only if you're connecting to a router.

apart from the fact that my linksys wrt54gs wouldn't play ball, i connected
to my existing wifi network first time.

but...ICS is a whole different kettle of fish. for the unitiated, it can be a bit
of a 'mare.

gizzavii...

it sounds like your tiscali b/b is "always on"...what i mean by that is that you
don't have to type your username / password each time...you just click on
connection and you're connected, right?

ok...i take no credit for the following information...it's lifted directly from
the M$ website.

On the host computer, follow these steps to share the Internet connection:

1. Log on to the host computer as Administrator or as Owner.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click Network and Internet Connections.
4. Click Network Connections.
5. Right-click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet.
For example, if you connect to the Internet by using a modem, right-click
the connection that you want under Dial-up.
6. Click Properties.
7. Click the Advanced tab.
8. Under Internet Connection Sharing, select the Allow other network users to
connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
9. If you are sharing a dial-up Internet connection, select the Establish a dial-up
connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box
if you want to permit your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.
10. Click OK. You receive the following message:
When Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, your LAN adapter will be set to use IP
address 192.168.0.1. Your computer may lose connectivity with other computers on
your network. If these other computers have static IP addresses, it is a good idea to set them
to obtain their IP addresses automatically. Are you sure you want to enable Internet
Connection Sharing?
11. Click Yes.
The connection to the Internet is shared to other computers on the local area network (LAN).
The network adapter that is connected to the LAN is configured with a static IP address of
192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I think this will work for the Wii:-

1. Go into Wii Options
2. Go into Wii Settings
3. Select "internet"
4. Choose "connection 1"
5. Select the "wired connection"
6. Next, it'll initiate a connection test...click OK
7. You should see an error message...ignore it and click ok
8. Select "change settings"
9. Highlight the "wired" connection
10. Press the > key until you see the "Auto-obtain IP" screen
11. Click "NO"
12. Click on "advanced"
13. in the IP box, key in 192.168.0.2
14. in the subnet box, key in 255.255.255.0
15 in the default router box, enter 192.168.0.1
16. click "confirm" etc.

you *might* have to enter DNS values too...this is exactly as above, scroll
across the internet options until you see "Auto-obtain DNS"..click on "NO"
then "advanced". In the promary DNS value box, type 192.168.0.1
ignore the secondary DNS..it's not required.

click "confirm etc to see if the test connects.

you might want to try the test with the crossover cable and the straight
through ethernet cable.

let me know how you get on.

Once again brilliant info thanks very much indeed. Sorry about the rude delay in answering my computer would not let me log in for some reason yesterday eve!?!?

I'll try all this tonight.... been busy watching Liverpool lose last night :sick: :mad5: :sick:

If you use the Nintendo LAN adapter, just plug it into the Wii via usb port and plug an ethernet into it and your modem--this is for a wired connection. For wireless--you can go a couple ways (1)get the Nintendo wifi dongle and hook it to your computer usb and follow installation instructions for wifi install (2) if you have a wireless router, search for the Wiis wireless capability (no adapter needed. Hope this helps you, I understand the confusion as it took me a bit to get down as well. Call Nintendo if you have error problems! This is the easiest way to combat this and is usually a simple fix.

WiiBad said:
If you use the Nintendo LAN adapter, just plug it into the Wii via usb port and plug an ethernet into it and your modem

you can't connect an ethernet cable to a USB modem...it doesn't have
the necessary ports.

FR3344LL said:
you can't connect an ethernet cable to a USB modem...it doesn't have
the necessary ports.
The LAN adapter plugs into the Wii via usb and has an ethernet slot out, connect ethernet from this to an ethernet modem. This is my current connection.

wiibad - if tiscalli modems are like virgin.net, they are rubbigh and only have a USB connection and a phone line coonection, no ethernet ports. THey are cheap and cheerful, but not great for doing anything else.

gizzavii - dont know if you have this sorted yet, hope you have, but if not...
sounds like your tiscali is exactly the same as my virgin.net connection, has a usb modem that goes into the computer and then into the wall, with no decent ethernet ports.
I couldnt be bothered with the whole wired thing, and didnt want my computer to have to be on for the Wii to be able to connect through it to the internet, so i spent 15 quid on one of these:

Wireless router

I had the lot set up in about 10 minutes, including the wii.
ALl you do is conect it to your phoneline, and then your computer to it (either wirelessly or with a cable (it has 4 ethernet ports)), tell it what your internet connection username and password is, and bingo, you have wireless internet all the time, whether your PC is on or not.

Cant recommend it enough, much less hassle than what you are trying to do with with windows internet connection sharing.

Of course, there are some service providers who reportedly do not allow internet connection sharing, so that may be a problem...

Last edited:
WiiBad said:
The LAN adapter plugs into the Wii via usb and has an ethernet slot out, connect ethernet from this to an ethernet modem. This is my current connection.

yours maybe.

but gizzavii has a USB modem. these have one lead which connects
to the ADSL (RJ11 socket) telephone line and then a USB lead to
the PC....there is NO ethernet socket on them at all so the LAN
adaptor is useless unless you can get ICS working.

Thanks for the info guys. Really helpful.

For an update, i have got a new idea? I'm going to try and connect via a usb because i thought all was lost with the LAN adapter. i hope i can do it with this because Mario Strikers charged sounds alllll good!!!

I got the offical Nintendo 1 so i'm hopeing that it will work... i rekon it will because i got all the advice i need from you very helpful people!! I'm defo going to try tonight. If it works i'm going to add all you to my mii thingy?? So

I just hope tiscali will allow to share the internet sharing after what was said before i'm worried again. :scared:

gizzavii said:
I just hope tiscali will allow to share the internet sharing after what was said before i'm worried again. :scared:

heh.

tiscali can't do kcuf lla to prevent you "sharing" your internet connection,
or indeed connecting other pc's to your modem. tiscali will only allocate
you with one IP address.

------------

so basically, you intend to connect the Wii directly to the modem?

1. i don't think it'll work...how will you load the USB modem drivers?
  2. how will your Wii authenticate to the tiscali server?
  3. you won't be presented with the "connection" screen as per the pc

tbh, gizzavii i'd have bought a cheap wireless modem/router off eBay..you'd
have been online ages ago!!

I so know that now!!!!! I agree. If i can't get the usb wifi dongle to work then i'm going to give in and buy a wirless modem/router and go from there.

i don't wanna put the dongle into my modem i'm going to put the dongle in a spear usb port on my pc and try to get it online that way. I'm going to use your advice and do these things.....

1. load the cd (which i got wif the dongle) and see what that tells me to do.
2. set up the internet connection with my current tiscali dial up set up.
3. set an ip address of 192.168.0.2 for the host pc.
4. enable the internet connection sharing box with a tick.
5. connect the dongle and that should be ready to rock and roll right?
wiiiii settings...
1. try to find the connection... if not add an ip address of 192.168.0.3 and then they should talk????????????????????
i'll keep going till i sort it!?!?!?!?!?!?

:wink:

gizzavii said:
I so know that now!!!!! I agree. If i can't get the usb wifi dongle to work then i'm going to give in and buy a wirless modem/router and go from there.

i don't wanna put the dongle into my modem i'm going to put the dongle in a spear usb port on my pc and try to get it online that way. I'm going to use your advice and do these things.....

1. load the cd (which i got wif the dongle) and see what that tells me to do.
2. set up the internet connection with my current tiscali dial up set up.
3. set an ip address of 192.168.0.2 for the host pc.
4. enable the internet connection sharing box with a tick.
5. connect the dongle and that should be ready to rock and roll right?
wiiiii settings...
1. try to find the connection... if not add an ip address of 192.168.0.3 and then they should talk????????????????????
i'll keep going till i sort it!?!?!?!?!?!?

:wink:

I mean i got the offical nintendo usb wifi thingy. I hope it fcukin works.......

MrT said:
Cant recommend it enough, much less hassle than what you are trying to do with with windows internet connection sharing.

ahmen :lol:

Back