Do NOT buy the new imac with leopard "because it just works"

paintba||er said:
Most servers run a *nix OS.

Actually, according to Gartner (and other sources like Jupiter), the global OS market share breakdown is currently [as of Feb 2008]:

Windows ~67%
Linux/Open Source ~23%
Unix ~7%

[DT] said:
Actually, according to Gartner (and other sources like Jupiter), the global OS market share breakdown is currently [as of Feb 2008]:

Windows ~67%
Linux/Open Source ~23%
Unix ~7%
doesn't even add up close to 100%

a median of 4 different sources has it as
Windows 98: 0.86%
Windows 2000: 2.92%
Windows XP: 79.32%
Windows Vista: 9.03%
Mac OS X: 4.34%
Linux: 0.77%
Other: 2.76%

not that these results actually show server OS as these stats take the OS from people that visit websites, hence why a median is better.

Last edited:
Gaz said:
doesn't even add up close to 100%

a median of 4 different sources has it as
Windows 98: 0.86%
Windows 2000: 2.92%
Windows XP: 79.32%
Windows Vista: 9.03%
Mac OS X: 4.34%
Linux: 0.77%
Other: 2.76%

Obviously it doesn't :lol: I actually debated about putting a note given there was a 3% discrepancy (but figured most folks would understand) They/I excluded the non Windows/*Nix that make up the other 3%.

My post was also about *server* OS's as a response to the "Most servers" post by 'paintballer'.

If you want to debate, email Gartner group and tell them their Server OS Market breakdown is inaccurate.

[DT] said:
Obviously it doesn't :lol: I actually debated about putting a note given there was a 3% discrepancy (but figured most folks would understand) They/I excluded the non Windows/*Nix that make up the other 3%.

My post was also about *server* OS's as a response to the "Most servers" post by 'paintballer'.

If you want to debate, email Gartner group and tell them their Server OS Market breakdown is inaccurate.
got a link to this information? i've had a quick look at the gartner site and kind find a thing, i highly doubt that windows is in the lead seeing as microsoft only have 35% of the web server market share (from Gartner group)

+ seeing as how you failed to mention the fact that you were posting data about server OS and not just desktop OS (as to which it appeared from your post) which lead me to my mistake.

registerednerd said:
These two statements go hand-in-hand, you can't have one without the other. I'll be the first to admit that no OS is perfect, but I would also say that Mac is better than Windows.

I have and always will hate using mac OS.

I can see why people like it.

Personally...

I'd love to go back to DOS.

hop3less said:
I have and always will hate using mac OS.
thats like me saying, i have and always will hate using vista, and won't ever use it. pretty silly seeing as how XP is quite a good OS, just because you had one or to bad experiences with Mac OS doesn't mean that leopard is bad.

anyway back on topic. the thread starter has clearly stated that you shouldn't buy the new iMac with leopard because it just works when in his case it doesn't. but from what i gather he has another mac (a laptop) which he has no issues with, so get that instead.

Yeah, the macbook i have (black) is brilliant, no probs. with it yet.

i got a macbook in december. i put 4gb of ram in it myself for 130 bucks.

it absolutely flosses. still to this day. i run onyx on it, though some say not to. it seems to keep mine pretty crisp, although i did run into the dns issues with leopard which i fixed. it was causing my internet to be slow.

other than that, the **** is smooth and still screaming fast. no operating system is perfect, but imo, apple has, and always will, own windows. i use windows because i have to for my job...if i didnt have to, i wouldnt even touch it.

besides, even the best companies make mistakes. i just had to take my wii apart and fix it to play smash brothers thanks to nintendo. but im not mad at em...

Gaz said:
thats like me saying, i have and always will hate using vista, and won't ever use it. pretty silly seeing as how XP is quite a good OS, just because you had one or to bad experiences with Mac OS doesn't mean that leopard is bad.

anyway back on topic. the thread starter has clearly stated that you shouldn't buy the new iMac with leopard because it just works when in his case it doesn't. but from what i gather he has another mac (a laptop) which he has no issues with, so get that instead.

The reason why I'm anti Leopard and Vista is because Leopard is a brand new OS that won't be fully fixed until its patched, and Vista was rushed out to meet Leopard. I'm not touching Vista until SP2.

Back