Do stores just make up release dates?

Rosbaughcr

WiiChat Member
Apr 14, 2007
Wii Online Code
7466-2556-3307-9977
Today I was shopping online a bit to see if anyone had any Memorial Day (I'm in Virginia, US) sales on wii games, specifically MKA. Ebgames' website said the game has been released, but when I called my local stores they said it wouldn't be out until Wednesday. The same happened with Wal-Mart, Target, and Circuit City. Luckily, Best Buy had copies available for sale. Do individual stores choose their own release dates? Why would certain stores not be selling a product if they could? Was Best Buy in the wrong by selling this, or is it officially released in the US already?

I dont know if the stores make up release dates, but I sure do...

SSBB July 23!!!!!!

From what I've heard some stores depending a where you are (assuming North America) gets games no more than a week earlier.

If it's over a week from say 'Wikipedia's' release date than it's a fake or the store is no properly informed...

The part that really upset me was that Ebgames.com says that it has been released, but the local stores (total of 7 between EBGames and Gamestop) all told me that it wouldn't be out until Wednesday. Do they announce an earlier release date online to factor in shipping time. That doesn't seem honest at all...

Well I'm on Toronto, Canada. And some people have told me they saw the game on Saturday at BlockBuster. I don't know if I should beleive it but this is not the first time someone has told me this. I use to be friends with a VideoGame store owner (until he closed down, still friends though), he'd get games sometimes up to a week earlier then release date (and sometimes a few days late LOL). But in practice they're are not suppose to be selling the game until release day (check the game site, Midway for Mortal Kombat)...

Embarassingly enough, I never thought to check Midway's website, but I just did, and after being directed to http://mkarmageddon.com/ I found that it is "Now Available."

Release dates are always screwed up. Frustrating as hell, but that's just how it is. I'm sure theres an explanation as to why you ran into this issue, but i doubt you'll ever find it. I'm willing to bet that, for whatever reason, certain stores got the game first, and that's just the way it is. Just remember to always call ahead first, even if you're 99% sure the game will be there. Nothing is worse than getting your hopes up and then having someone tell you "Are you sure we said today? idk man, whoever you talked to was wrong, we don't get that for another 3 days!"

its all ballpark estimates. roughly when it will hit stores. they never accurately tell the right dates. i think its to avoid sellouts and whatnot or something. i personally dont know but i do know that i dont trust gamestop.com for anything

Most are placeholders. Usually it's pretty easy to tell which ones are placeholders and which ones are not.

Example:

(Placeholder dates from a random gaming site)

June 1: Super Mario Strikers Charged
June 1: Battalion Wars 2
June 1: Metroid Prime 3

(Official from Nintendo)
July 30: Super Mario Strikers Charged
Sept 24: Battalion Wars 2
Aug. 20: Metroid Prime 3

See what I mean? Its usually pretty easy to figure out the real from the fake.

Oh btw, some stores do have different release dates. Usually it is just a day or two in America, but many stores do get different dates.

Another example:

My local target and bestbuy are getting Mario Party 8 on shelves on Wed.
My local gamestop, however, is releasing it on Tues. See? not a big difference. But if you can't stand the wait. Go to the one that has it earlier

well in certain places the shipment doesnt get there as fast as other stores so a store might put the actual release day that the manufacturer(spc on that lol) is shipping it out but the store wont get it for 2 or 3 days....thats what i think it is i dunno

Back