Do you think the FPS genre will survive?

slurba

WiiChat Member
Aug 20, 2006
Wii Online Code
3890-0148-4172-8586
I'm a huge online shooter fan, and I was wondering if you guys think the Wii will succeed in having fun games for the genre? Basically all I've seen are:

Party games,
Adventure games,
Fighting games,
and racing games

To be honest the only ones I really like in those sections are adventure and some racing games, so I don't want to end up buying a system that will have a drought of games that actually hold my interest after I play through single player (multiplayer games).

I know someone here will post a long list of shooters, cause I've seen one before.

Just keep an eye out for Metroid, Call of Duty 4 (you know there will be one!), Medal of Honor Vanguard, and some other ones.

Rayman doesn't really count though. You can walk around, you just aim at the screen and shoot, thats what I've heard. Farcry sucks ass and doesn't deserve to be on the Wii. Cod3 is good, but now online play. Same with Red Steel but some mixed reviews on that game.

After the release of Metroid, and after that game shows developers how FPS's are done on the Wii, then you will see an explosion of FPS's on Wii. But until then, don't expect much. Metroid will set the standard for FPS's of the future.

The FPS genre will eventually wear thin. It has little room for evolution apart from story and graphics. Simply shoot anything that moves while taking cover, end of story. Every developer is using Badass Humans VS Gunslinging Aliens cookie cutter formula. Multiplayer will definitely keep FPS alive. The wiimote may make it more immersive once they nail the control scheme. Analog stick aiming will be archaic by this time.

No offense, but don't get your hopes up to much.
If you noticed... this is the first year Nintendo has taken this step.. if you look back at their old systems.. its all party/kid/fun games... they are finally starting to get war games (COD3/ sports games (madden)
NINTENDO is making a come back bitches
Better watch out :)

No offense, but don't get your hopes up to much.
If you noticed... this is the first year Nintendo has taken this step.. if you look back at their old systems.. its all party/kid/fun games... they are finally starting to get war games (COD3/ sports games (madden)
NINTENDO is making a come back bitches
Better watch out
:)

The main reason I think I should stick to PC gaming.

I think I'll wait and buy if something that catches my eye comes out, like Vangaurd getting praise or multiplayer on Red Steel 2.

Last edited:
call of duty 4...no just let infinity ward to finish the 3rd for pc

i think i want to see some third-party new fps franchises.

i read somewhere that Black 2 was coming to Wii. Plus you got the eventual Red Steel 2. Hopefully an improved Far Cry. I also read a long time ago that the Megaman for wii may go the metroid prime route.

also dont forget how many wii consoles have been sold and will be sold. develepors can not ignore this. like others have said its all a mater of nailing the controles with the new wiimote. i think cod3 is the closest.

yeah we just need to wait until after metroid is released. that will make or break the fps genre on wii. Any proof as to Black 2 hitting the Wii?

Right now nothing really good for FPS fans (which I'm one). Rayman has the best shooting controls out of any game I've played.

I don't think we have to wait for Metroid, we just have to wait for someone to get the controls right. Metroid will do it, but there could be a game that does it before it's released.

Once the controls are nailed though and online actually gets going to where it rivals XBOX live, Bungie will beg Nintendo to make a Halo for Wii (I can dream can't I?).

Master Foot said:
The FPS genre will eventually wear thin. It has little room for evolution apart from story and graphics. Simply shoot anything that moves while taking cover, end of story. Every developer is using Badass Humans VS Gunslinging Aliens cookie cutter formula. Multiplayer will definitely keep FPS alive. The wiimote may make it more immersive once they nail the control scheme. Analog stick aiming will be archaic by this time.

Heh, now there's a big call, predicting the demise of arguably the most successful game genre of all time ;)
Not that I disagree with what you said, I get bored of FPS's a bit too, but c'mon, the traditional 8-18 demographic wants nothing but more fps.

Back