Do you want to get married?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is flooding the abortion thread sooo... regardless of religious beliefs and whatnot, I just find this interesting. I don't want this to become a discussion about same sex marriage.

Do you personally want to get married? I don't know of anyone who doesn't want to get married at some point in their lives, that is, unless they have some doubt in their relationship. I just have a lot of respect for people who are married when I see a ring, and that means a lot to me. True, you don't have to be married to show that you are committed, but the cynic in me would like them to. I really don't know a reason against it! (Other than the religious things, which this will probably turn into).

I am Christian, so yeah. It's one of the sacraments, but it's not like I'm forced into marriage because of it. Just like to get the opinions of atheists, etc. Some people think it's meaningless and I don't understand why.

If you're planning on it, what age do you think you will and what age do you think it should be? Obviously now marrying young is looked down upon, and I can see why, but, hey, rights or something.

This'll probably flop seeing as this place is full of men. There must be some women around. Admit it. You'd like to be married some time.

Uh, yeah, I pretty much agree with this. I plan on getting married fairly early (at least below the average right now), and yeah, hope it all goes well.

I don't plan on getting married.

Seems pointless to me. If two people are meant to be together I don't think they need a contract to tell them to. They'll just end up always being with each other.

Good luck getting all the benefits that married people and life partners get. Cheaper university yay.

First off I'm a guy. For the longest time, I could not see myself in marriage, or having kids. I had a Girlfriend for over 7 years, but couldn't see myself spending the rest of my life with her, or starting a family, which ultimately ended the relationship. Then, at age 25, I met the woman who in 7 months would become my wife. Things changed for me overnight. I found the right person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. We now have been married for 17 years, and have two kids (10 and 5) which I can't imagine life without. You can say you will never get married, but I honestly believe there is someone out there for each of us, the challenge is finding them, and being patient enough to let the others go until you do.

Ah, that's a very nice story, especially towards the person I just quoted above. I do think you just *know* or not, as Nick said.

I want to get married, but we'll leave that one alone for now.

I have a lottttt of friends who don't want to get married, and I totally get where they come from. The importance this ceremony holds is pretty ridiculous, especially for a non-religious person such as myself. I just want to do it because it's a nice thing to do.

Sixty, I don't think that the respect you hold for married couples is rightly founded when there are Hollywood marriages that last a few months or less, and long-term relationships without marriage which are a hell of a lot more meaningful and heartfelt which aren't in wedlock.

Whiiiich is why they should get civily unionised. (Firefox is saying neither of those are words. Well suck it, Firefox.) If you think it's useless and meaningless and you're only out for a nice thing, what's so wrong about a civil union? The only difference is that you don't get the God bit, which you're fine with, you don't get a Priest or minister, which is fine, and you don't get to be in a church.

The only reason you want a marriage is so that you can say you're married?

But to me, I'll do anything my girlfriend wants on that day. Thats her day, yes its a day that we both share, but that is the day all girls dream about and plan for years.

Awh, the guy should have SOME say in it! At least for the girls that didn't plan it from the age of 8. I just see a non-helping guy as being lazy. :D

I don't really care, my fiance would like to so whenever she's ready, it's fine with me. Really though, marriage isn't necessary to me, but I'm for whatever she wants.

Again? ... oh yeah, forgot about that one time.

Oh, you didn't have a general timeline in mind when you proposed?

my boyfriend moved late last summer.. naturally don't expect it to last.

i'll have a few relationships over the next 4+ yrs.

You EXPECT to be in and out of relationships? Well that's depressing...

I wonder what girls would say if I told them, "Yeah, I'll probably end up leaving you sometime, but how was dinner?"

If you're referring to "common law marriage", no, we don't legally have that. I think we should though.

Is that the same as civil union here? Or just living together for a long time automatically gives you union rights?

Awh, the guy should have SOME say in it! At least for the girls that didn't plan it from the age of 8. I just see a non-helping guy as being lazy. :D

Never said i wouldnt help nor what things my way.
What i said was if she wants ice sculptures, she gets ice sculptures.

Never said i wouldnt help nor what things my way.
What i said was if she wants ice sculptures, she gets ice sculptures.

Well... I wouldn't say that, considering I'd like to get married while still in Uni. But yeah, I get your point.

I wouldn't argue with her over something though. Haha, and must step very carefully when given those loaded questions.

Is that the same as civil union here? Or just living together for a long time automatically gives you union rights?
Common law marriage is the second one. There's no law which allows it in England and Wales, but apparently it's available in Australia.

I'm not sure how civil unions work where you live, but in the UK they're treated exactly the same as marriage, so no, common law marriage isn't quite the same as a civil union.

I dunno anymore. After what happened between me and my ex-fiance I'm not really sure if I want to try again.

Common law marriage is the second one. There's no law which offers such rights in England and Wales, but it's apparently available in Australia.

I'm not sure how civil unions work where you live, but in the UK they're treated exactly the same as marriage, so no, common law marriage isn't quite the same as a civil union.

Yes, that's the entire point, civil unions ARE EXACTLY LIKE MARRIAGES with the religion taken out.

I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to them at all.

Yes, that's the entire point, civil unions ARE EXACTLY LIKE MARRIAGES with the religion taken out.

I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to them at all.
I have no opposition to them at all, I just think... no, this isn't supposed to turn into a gay marriage debate, so let's leave it there.

Posting this here since I've just noticed it.

Adam, the quote in your sig, is she saying what I think she is saying?

Suppose I'll add that when I do it properly, the [future] wife will also get whatever the hell she wants. And I'll do whatever it takes to get that.

Posting this here since I've just noticed it.

Adam, the quote in your sig, is she saying what I think she is saying?

Suppose I'll add that when I do it properly, the [future] wife will also get whatever the hell she wants. And I'll do whatever it takes to get that.

I really have no idea what she was actually on about. If she was saying what you think she was saying, it wouldn't be quoted. :smilewinkgrin:

i haven't really gotten into the dating game yet, primarily because of all the pointless drama that circulates with every relationship. kids my age don't take each other seriously and just aren't emotionally developed enough to uphold a real relationship. sure, i've had crushes and messed around a bit, but i'm just waiting until a time when i can find someone to fully appreciate without having to worry about schoolyard gossip.

so yeah, marriage sounds great to me. still just a sprout though.

I really have no idea what she was actually on about. If she was saying what you think she was saying, it wouldn't be quoted. :smilewinkgrin:

I'm dying to ask if there was wood to miss, not in an insulting way, just generally...but then that's not really something to ask, so I won't.

i haven't really gotten into the dating game yet, primarily because of all the pointless drama that circulates with every relationship. kids my age don't take each other seriously and just aren't emotionally developed enough to uphold a real relationship. sure, i've had crushes and messed around a bit, but i'm just waiting until a time when i can find someone to fully appreciate without having to worry about schoolyard gossip.

so yeah, marriage sounds great to me. still just a sprout though.

How old are you?

I'd say you're quite mature already if you're wise enough to say what you did.

Lewi T said:
I'm dying to ask if there was wood to miss, not in an insulting way, just generally...but then that's not really something to ask, so I won't.

If you were assed enough to get your drunk ass out of bed and into the city, we could have answered you in person.

Detailed PM sent.

Yea i wanna get married someday just not fast... Perfect age for me 2 get merried is 24-26 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back