Do you want to get married?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very refreshing to hear a 16 year old say. I hope there are more like you. Sounds like you are a very mature 16 year old with a good head on your shoulders.

thanks very much!

haha, i suppose being an only child gives me extra time to think. it's understandable how so many teens, my friends included, buckle under the pressures of high school and make dumb choices.

i haven't really gotten into the dating game yet, primarily because of all the pointless drama that circulates with every relationship. kids my age don't take each other seriously and just aren't emotionally developed enough to uphold a real relationship. sure, i've had crushes and messed around a bit, but i'm just waiting until a time when i can find someone to fully appreciate without having to worry about schoolyard gossip.

so yeah, marriage sounds great to me. still just a sprout though.

same here man. people at my school who are in relationships are very messed up. to me, it seems a bit artificial. i just turned 18 a few days ago. i am still young.

Yes, that's the entire point, civil unions ARE EXACTLY LIKE MARRIAGES with the religion taken out.

I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to them at all.
They really are exactly the same as marriages, minus religion. Religion and gay don't really go together, anyway. Why would you want a minister standing in front of you, holding the very book that condemns your actions? It really makes no sense. As long as a civil union guarantees you the same rights and privileges as a marriage does, and said unions are legally performed in your place of residence, please put your rainbow colored protest signs in the garage and concentrate on spending time with the person you love.

Yes, I want to get married. Not for a fancy piece of paper, because that doesn't strengthen any kind of bond or hold any real significance except maybe some financial stuff that goes over my head. But for the celebration of love. The public display. The fanfare. The delicious girlyness and frillyness and...excess. The punch. The vanilla bean 3 tier cake with edible pearls and multicolored non-floral icing embellishments. The Vera Wang dress that you starve yourself for three weeks to fit into. Yeah.

This is very refreshing to hear a 16 year old say. I hope there are more like you. Sounds like you are a very mature 16 year old with a good head on your shoulders.

trust me, there arent many 16 year olds like that.

Marriage is a pretty big commitment. Leona and I just haven't thought about it yet. She jets off around the world every month, and the inconvenience of the situation would be uncanny.

We'll certainly think about it.

okkkaaaaayy....:shocked:

same here man. people at my school who are in relationships are very messed up. to me, it seems a bit artificial. i just turned 18 a few days ago. i am still young.

There was an article in the paper the other day about the rate of "casual" sex.

A study found that around 80% of people said they were currently friends with benefits, or had been at one time.

Quite a sad statistic indeed.

But no, we definitely can't blame sexual "freedom" as the reason for rising divorce rates...

A study found that around 80% of people said they were currently friends with benefits, or had been at one time.

But no, we definitely can't blame sexual "freedom" as the reason for rising divorce rates...

case in point; a close friend of mine's been pressuring me into casual sex for over a month now. she's been dating my friend for nearly a year, has had an abortion at the age of 16, and smokes every so often. i enjoy her company on a platonic level, but i can't help but feel sorry for her.

some kids make poor choices because they just don't know any better.

Last edited:
Ah, that's a very nice story, especially towards the person I just quoted above. I do think you just *know* or not, as Nick said.

But his point is "I didn't see myself with this person for my entire life..." then he met the right person. My point is, you can spend the rest of your life with someone without the contract.

Whiiiich is why they should get civily unionised. (Firefox is saying neither of those are words. Well suck it, Firefox.) If you think it's useless and meaningless and you're only out for a nice thing, what's so wrong about a civil union? The only difference is that you don't get the God bit, which you're fine with, you don't get a Priest or minister, which is fine, and you don't get to be in a church.

The only reason you want a marriage is so that you can say you're married?

I'll get to what's wrong with a civil union in a second, but as Nicky's mentioned, you can scrap the God bit now, you can scrap the Priest and you can scrap the Church.

Yes, that's the entire point, civil unions ARE EXACTLY LIKE MARRIAGES with the religion taken out.

I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to them at all.

Firstly, I'd like to direct you here:

http://lesbianlife.about.com/cs/wedding/a/unionvmarriage.htm

And I don't think anyone is "opposed" to civil unions. I just think many many more people would prefer to be married. And on the gay thing, I don't see why gay and lesbian couples are forbidden the status that everyone else has. And even if they were "EXACTLY LIKE MARRIAGES", they're still not marriages, which everyone should have the right to have.

What's so sad about it? Because sex is something "special" and can't just be about two people enjoying themselves?

What's so sad about it? Because sex is something "special" and can't just be about two people enjoying themselves?

Exactly. You say they're "enjoying themselves". When did sex become about a person by themself? It's about the other person, the we part. It should be used to express love and affection.

If you just need an orgasm that badly, get a fleshlight.

First off I'm a guy. For the longest time, I could not see myself in marriage, or having kids. I had a Girlfriend for over 7 years, but couldn't see myself spending the rest of my life with her, or starting a family, which ultimately ended the relationship. Then, at age 25, I met the woman who in 7 months would become my wife. Things changed for me overnight. I found the right person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. We now have been married for 17 years, and have two kids (10 and 5) which I can't imagine life without. You can say you will never get married, but I honestly believe there is someone out there for each of us, the challenge is finding them, and being patient enough to let the others go until you do.

Pretty much sums up my life in that paragraph .. .. .. .. spooky! The only real difference for me is that I went to school, from the age of 5 through to 16, with the woman who's asleep upstairs. I NEVER wanted to get married .. .. .. didn't see the point of it.

I remember clearly our wedding day not for the usual cake / sex / alcohol and dancing reasons but because of something her sister said to us. She stood there while the photos were being taken and said to us

"Don't think you'll still be this happy in 7 years time"

Now you might think that's a stupid and crappy thing to say to someone, and I'd usually agree, but it made a fantastic title for the DVD I made on as her 10th wedding anniversary present.. .. .. .. a DVD so good that she still cries now when she watches it.

I'm pretty sure I've found the girl I will marry, in 6 days we will have been together for 3 years. We've been talking about it for a while now and we are going to wait at least another 5 years. I'm slowly coming around to it, since originally I had wanted to be married by 24, but she convinced me that waiting until she is set in her career and I as well would be the smartest idea. So 26 or 27 years old is where I see myself getting married.

Exactly. You say they're "enjoying themselves". When did sex become about a person by themself? It's about the other person, the we part. It should be used to express love and affection.

If you just need an orgasm that badly, get a fleshlight.
Yes, sex can be a way of two people can be expressing their love for each other, but my point is that it doesn't have to be something sacred that only people in long term relationships are allowed to do. Why can't it also be about two people having some fun together?

Yes, sex can be a way of two people can be expressing their love for each other, but my point is that it doesn't have to be something sacred that only people in long term relationships are allowed to do. Why can't it also be about two people having some fun together?

Because I just don't think it can. No matter how much you try to make it feel like it, there will be emotional baggage in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back