Do you want to get married?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much sums up my life in that paragraph .. .. .. .. spooky! The only real difference for me is that I went to school, from the age of 5 through to 16, with the woman who's asleep upstairs. I NEVER wanted to get married .. .. .. didn't see the point of it.

I remember clearly our wedding day not for the usual cake / sex / alcohol and dancing reasons but because of something her sister said to us. She stood there while the photos were being taken and said to us

"Don't think you'll still be this happy in 7 years time"

Now you might think that's a stupid and crappy thing to say to someone, and I'd usually agree, but it made a fantastic title for the DVD I made on as her 10th wedding anniversary present.. .. .. .. a DVD so good that she still cries now when she watches it.

Well, it being 3 years in the making, it better be damn good.

Edit: ****. I always lose track of which threads I posted in 1 minute ago. This is why we need to be able to delete our own posts.

I might have to take back what I said earlier, regarding civil unions. Apparently in the United States, civil unions don't award you nearly the amount of rights marriages do.

**** that. Civil unions need to be recognized under the law as exactly the same as marriages, minus the religious aspect. All of the same rights and privileges should be awarded. Until that happens, everyone is allowed to take issue with it. It's different in Canada, that's why I was harsh earlier, I thought people were just moaning because it was called something different than "marriage".

late into this sorry,

i don't wanna get married don't think its necessary, even without the religion it is still meaningless.
you don't need a ceremony to show your love and commitment. someone said that what happens if you die and your family gets nothing, thats retarded they're are wills.
also you can put something under both your names. i am not anti marriage i just don't see a point it. i also don't like that if you are married that the wife 98% of time gets everything leaving the guy with nothing. or with debt. also money should have nothing to do with love either. people who love each other don't need recognition.

Yes, I want to get married. Not for a fancy piece of paper, because that doesn't strengthen any kind of bond or hold any real significance except maybe some financial stuff that goes over my head. But for the celebration of love. The public display. The fanfare. The delicious girlyness and frillyness and...excess. The punch. The vanilla bean 3 tier cake with edible pearls and multicolored non-floral icing embellishments. The Vera Wang dress that you starve yourself for three weeks to fit into. Yeah.

Damn right.
Personally, I don't like the religion stuff involved with marriage, but that's just me. I don't want to get married to show 'God' how much we love each other. I don't want to get married to wave about a ring and a piece of paper. I want to get married, as Celeste said, for the whole celebration. Not a big 'look at us we love each other' wedding, but just, a party. A big celebration, just one big day, to celebrate being in love.

I've kinda thought a lot of times about getting married alone, you know, just the two of us and I suppose witnesses. I think some aspects of a wedding are kind of private and personal, like the vows, I would love to just stand on a beach at sunset with as little people as possible and share vows. Makes it all seem more private, and just between the two of us then.

I might have to take back what I said earlier, regarding civil unions. Apparently in the United States, civil unions don't award you nearly the amount of rights marriages do.

**** that. Civil unions need to be recognized under the law as exactly the same as marriages, minus the religious aspect. All of the same rights and privileges should be awarded. Until that happens, everyone is allowed to take issue with it. It's different in Canada, that's why I was harsh earlier, I thought people were just moaning because it was called something different than "marriage".

Yeah, as did I.

Either way, I stand by what I say. I'd fight beside any gay for the right to civil unions being equal to marriage.

I thought we were more similar to Canada. (Considering we live so close, we actually get a lot of stuff from you guys.)

Damn right.
Personally, I don't like the religion stuff involved with marriage, but that's just me. I don't want to get married to show 'God' how much we love each other. I don't want to get married to wave about a ring and a piece of paper. I want to get married, as Celeste said, for the whole celebration. Not a big 'look at us we love each other' wedding, but just, a party. A big celebration, just one big day, to celebrate being in love.

I've kinda thought a lot of times about getting married alone, you know, just the two of us and I suppose witnesses. I think some aspects of a wedding are kind of private and personal, like the vows, I would love to just stand on a beach at sunset with as little people as possible and share vows. Makes it all seem more private, and just between the two of us then.

but that wouldn't really be marriage. i t would be an acknowledgment, which i want. i don't a marriage but i want acknowledgment just so my girlfriend can have her special day. i don't think we need it but to her she does.

There are plenty of Christians who wear garments of a cotton-poly blend too. I guess it'd go somewhere along those lines. Interpretation of the Bible is soooo subjective.

You're trivializing it. I think you know what I meant.

Yes, as soon as I finish my degree. :lol:

Seriously, I am planning on getting married at some point in the future, but not at this moment in time.

Of course I want to get married. I want my fancy ring.

I won't be getting into the issue of civil and marriage. These issues are important to me - but I haven't really thought about it in regards to myself.

Anyways - legally speaking marriage certainly holds an appeal to me. If I was going to commit myself, have children etc I would want to be married. And I'd hope I'd be married before kids... Although I wouldn't really care if I wasn't. I just wouldn't want to be one of the types that gets pregnant and a guy proposes just for the hell of it. And this is certainly not any religious side getting too me. I just have control issues.

Yeah I do, however I don't think I ever will... never had a long sticking relationship.

i haven't really gotten into the dating game yet, primarily because of all the pointless drama that circulates with every relationship. kids my age don't take each other seriously and just aren't emotionally developed enough to uphold a real relationship. sure, i've had crushes and messed around a bit, but i'm just waiting until a time when i can find someone to fully appreciate without having to worry about schoolyard gossip.

so yeah, marriage sounds great to me. still just a sprout though.

Agreed, the people I know my age who are in relationships are pretty artificial. I don't really see any love within them and like you, I'm going to wait before I get into that game as I still don't think I've met anyone who fits that space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back