Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does anyone buy games,play them, then return them?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by brendo, Oct 4, 2007.

1. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

Recently, in my travels to EB games I have noticed quite a few people returning games. Some of them admit that they had played it through and want their money back, but most just say "i didnt like it". Just wondering what peoples view is on this topic? personally i think that its pretty wrong. You are paying for a game, so you really shouldnt return it unless there is something wrong with it.

What do you guys/girls think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    I keep what I buy.
    I did it with the Gamecube, doing the same with the Wii.

I have a simple method, buy the games you know are going to be good, read reviews about some just to make sure.
    Rent ones you have never heard of before.

Easy, saves good money.

3. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

I've never returned any games either. I read Ngamer, read forums, and read reviews before i buy a game. The only exception is franchises that i know are good. eg. james bond, smash bros, GH, etc. tbh it kinda bugs me that people do return them. I wonder if they have to mark returned games as "pre owned"? I guess they would otherwise they would be selling a second hand product marked as 'as new'

4. Pandachix

Pandachix WiiBabe

The only games i gave up was my old PS1 games I got money off it.

5. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

You're trading in used games and recieving money for a second hand game, which is perfectly acceptable and a good idea ( ive kept all my games from previous consoles etc). Its not like you're buying a 99 dollar game, playing it, then returning it for a full refund.

6. KrisKhaos

KrisKhaos Retro Gamer

Wii Friend Code: 2328-3260-7811-1534
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Most places will not accept game returns if the plastic seal is broken. I am sure places like EB and others will take them back, however they do so at a severely reduced price or some gimmick to coax you into spending more money.

I personally don't like dealing with GameStop/EB, or any other "pawn shop" style game business very often, as there "cash back" is almost nothing. It is simply cheaper to rent them if you don't plan on keeping them, instead of buying them only to be ripped off when you return them. To my understanding GameStop's so called "best option" to such people is some odd point system that allows them to gain trade-in points towards other games, and to me it sounds more like a hustler's shell game than anything worthwhile. No thank you.

I use the same method except I still rent them even if I think they will be good, just to be sure. I've been burnt before, and it's worth the couple dollars extra and time spent to double check, especially if you've been let down before.

7. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

Where i live. There is no where for about 3 hrs drive that you can rent games. Hence i think thats why it happens:shocked:

8. Furballer

Furballer Wiitard

Wii Friend Code: 3511-6985-5300-3751
    3511-6985-5300-3751
    I can understand selling old games to buy new ones... like how my friend sold all of his ps2 games to buy a few wii games. But returning the games you bought because you didnt like them? That's just immoral. You're saying that Nintendo's products aren't worth you keeping for later. You'll hurt Ninty's feelings! YOU MONSTER!

9. KrisKhaos

KrisKhaos Retro Gamer

2328-3260-7811-1534
    I know that renting in the UK (and others) is not the best experience, however here in the States you have options like GameFly.com and Blockbuster to have them simply MAILED to you. So the distance excuse only works if you live outside the U.S. :)

10. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

true, like i said, i think its not good. Just simply trying to put a reason to why people are doing it:shocked:

11. KrisKhaos

KrisKhaos Retro Gamer

2328-3260-7811-1534
    Well it seems that the rental experience is about as active there as it is in the UK then, really sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't stay that way, and someone will catch wind there is a possible strong rental market opportunity available out there.

Likewise I can't blame you or others in your situation for taking games back, but here they have no excuse. :smilewinkgrin:

12. d4mahern

d4mahern Detroit Lions 2-1

As the kids used to say in the neighborhood, "No indian trading!" You cant buy it, play it, and then decide it sucks and bring it back. That stupid. If we could do that with everything than no one would make any money and there would be no reason for sales people period. Products would just sell themselves.

13. chikupi

chikupi quack

Wii Friend Code: 3632-7782-7801-4679
    3632-7782-7801-4679
    yeah i think that's wrong. it sounds nice , even though it shouldn't be, but that is just like how ppl pirate movies and u go to a threater and u'll see that preview, and u all saw that preview. just don't buy it first, rent it then think to see if u want to

14. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

rofl, im the op, i made the thread:lol: I dont take games back, never have, never will

15. konomaroh

konomaroh I'm a gun

I don't return games. I Read reviews to make sure that the games that i buy are good.

But i did have a friend who always did that, it really annoyed me because he said that the game was awesome but then returned it a few days later.

16. Byuakuya

Byuakuya Bleach & Heroes fan.

I agree. I have returned some games in the past because they were not what I expected, in terms of gameplay. But other than that, I keep all of my games, even if I finish them within a week.

17. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

See, really you should keep them. After all you are paying for a certain product. If you dont like the gameplay then its not the shops fault you bought it. Imo the only reason games should be returned for full price is if they are fualty. If you wanna trade them in after playing(for a lower price) thats a different story though

18. Renz

Renz Top 5 in MOH: H2

Wii Friend Code: 6743-9556-4846-8302
    6743-9556-4846-8302
    I'm returning madden 08 for medal of honor heroes. I've read the reviews, seen the gameplay, and been a madden fan for years. Its just that I hate when theres no people to play online, + lag, + crappy motion controls which I might add that reviews had it as a 8.0/10
    anyways, with this trade i'll end up paying $25 instead of 50 but then again i wasted $50 all together. So technically, i'll pay $75/100 for 2 games. worth the save, yes, especially when you know your not gonna play the first one.

19. Byuakuya

Byuakuya Bleach & Heroes fan.

I can see where you are coming from, but I cannot continue to play a game which does not interest me. Besides, I usually return a certain game to get another game which is equal to the same price.

20. brendo

brendo Would you kindly?

I understand that, but put simply it costs the store money. Also how do we know they dont just shrink wrap it again and sell it as an 'as new' product?