Does anyone buy games,play them, then return them?

brendo

Would you kindly?
Apr 15, 2007
NSW, Australia
Recently, in my travels to EB games I have noticed quite a few people returning games. Some of them admit that they had played it through and want their money back, but most just say "i didnt like it". Just wondering what peoples view is on this topic? personally i think that its pretty wrong. You are paying for a game, so you really shouldnt return it unless there is something wrong with it.

What do you guys/girls think?

I keep what I buy.
I did it with the Gamecube, doing the same with the Wii.

I have a simple method, buy the games you know are going to be good, read reviews about some just to make sure.
Rent ones you have never heard of before.

Easy, saves good money.

CantGetAWii said:
I keep what I buy.
I did it with the Gamecube, doing the same with the Wii.

I have a simple method, buy the games you know are going to be good, read reviews about some just to make sure.

Easy, saves good money.

I've never returned any games either. I read Ngamer, read forums, and read reviews before i buy a game. The only exception is franchises that i know are good. eg. james bond, smash bros, GH, etc. tbh it kinda bugs me that people do return them. I wonder if they have to mark returned games as "pre owned"? I guess they would otherwise they would be selling a second hand product marked as 'as new'

Pandachix said:
The only games i gave up was my old PS1 games I got money off it.

You're trading in used games and recieving money for a second hand game, which is perfectly acceptable and a good idea ( ive kept all my games from previous consoles etc). Its not like you're buying a 99 dollar game, playing it, then returning it for a full refund.

Most places will not accept game returns if the plastic seal is broken. I am sure places like EB and others will take them back, however they do so at a severely reduced price or some gimmick to coax you into spending more money.

I personally don't like dealing with GameStop/EB, or any other "pawn shop" style game business very often, as there "cash back" is almost nothing. It is simply cheaper to rent them if you don't plan on keeping them, instead of buying them only to be ripped off when you return them. To my understanding GameStop's so called "best option" to such people is some odd point system that allows them to gain trade-in points towards other games, and to me it sounds more like a hustler's shell game than anything worthwhile. No thank you.

CantGetAWii said:

Easy, saves good money.
I use the same method except I still rent them even if I think they will be good, just to be sure. I've been burnt before, and it's worth the couple dollars extra and time spent to double check, especially if you've been let down before.

Where i live. There is no where for about 3 hrs drive that you can rent games. Hence i think thats why it happens:shocked:

I can understand selling old games to buy new ones... like how my friend sold all of his ps2 games to buy a few wii games. But returning the games you bought because you didnt like them? That's just immoral. You're saying that Nintendo's products aren't worth you keeping for later. You'll hurt Ninty's feelings! YOU MONSTER!

brendo said:
Where i live. There is no where for about 3 hrs drive that you can rent games. Hence i think thats why it happens:shocked:
I know that renting in the UK (and others) is not the best experience, however here in the States you have options like GameFly.com and Blockbuster to have them simply MAILED to you. So the distance excuse only works if you live outside the U.S. :)

KrisKhaos said:
I know that renting in the UK (and others) is not the best experience, however here in the States you have options like GameFly.com and Blockbuster to have them simply MAILED to you. So the distance excuse only works if you live outside the U.S. :)

true, like i said, i think its not good. Just simply trying to put a reason to why people are doing it:shocked:

brendo said:
true, like i said, i think its not good. Just simply trying to put a reason to why people are doing it:shocked:
Well it seems that the rental experience is about as active there as it is in the UK then, really sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't stay that way, and someone will catch wind there is a possible strong rental market opportunity available out there.

Likewise I can't blame you or others in your situation for taking games back, but here they have no excuse. :smilewinkgrin:

As the kids used to say in the neighborhood, "No indian trading!" You cant buy it, play it, and then decide it sucks and bring it back. That stupid. If we could do that with everything than no one would make any money and there would be no reason for sales people period. Products would just sell themselves.

yeah i think that's wrong. it sounds nice , even though it shouldn't be, but that is just like how ppl pirate movies and u go to a threater and u'll see that preview, and u all saw that preview. just don't buy it first, rent it then think to see if u want to

KrisKhaos said:
Well it seems that the rental experience is about as active there as it is in the UK then, really sorry to hear that. Hopefully it won't stay that way, and someone will catch wind there is a possible strong rental market opportunity available out there.

Likewise I can't blame you or others in your situation for taking games back, but here they have no excuse. :smilewinkgrin:

rofl, im the op, i made the thread:lol: I dont take games back, never have, never will

I don't return games. I Read reviews to make sure that the games that i buy are good.

But i did have a friend who always did that, it really annoyed me because he said that the game was awesome but then returned it a few days later.

Back