does anyone use USB wifi dongle?

salad82

WiiChat Member
May 18, 2007
is this with or without a router?

is it possible to use the USB dongle and no router? if so can someone let me know how you would get this recognised as a wireless network...

Thanks

You don't need a router if you are going to use the dongle. Just plug it in, follow the instructions and you are good to go. I personally hate those things and prefer a wireless router though.

Byuakuya said:
I personally hate those things and prefer a wireless router though.

agreed. you can use the router for so much more.

piss on the dongle.

I have to use a Donngle as my PC is not Wifi. It was cheaper and easier to get the dongle rather than install i wireless NIC

ill try tonight without the router, provising im not too smashed after the football and le everyone know how i got on

You use a wifi dongle if you haven't got a router, it's like an alternative.

Install the dongle by inserting the disk, following the on screen instructions etc etc..

Then go to your wii, and the menu bit, click on internet, then connections or something, and set up a new connection.

Choose the wirelless option, then it will ask if it's via a router or a wifi dongle. Obviously chose the wifi dongle.

Then you'll have to make sure the wifi dongle is plugged in, then you will have to 'allow' your wii to use the dongle, you do this by 'granting permission' on the computer.

Then it will do a connection test and if that's successful then you're good to go :)

Oh and I expect rep for this :thumbsup:

salad82 said:
I have to use a Donngle as my PC is not Wifi. It was cheaper and easier to get the dongle rather than install i wireless NIC

ill try tonight without the router, provising im not too smashed after the football and le everyone know how i got on

It may not be cheaper to use the dongle. And with a wireless router, there are 4 wired ports to plug in your PC without wireless NIC. To me, I found the wireless router approach to be easier. Don't pay more than $20 for a g router. Look for deals.
With the dongle approach, don't you need to keep you computer running to get the Wii on the net?

Last edited:
billcsho said:
With the dongle approach, don't you need to keep you computer running to get the Wii on the net?

Yes thats whats so annoying about it

Plus you cant use MSN Messenger DS and other programs unless you have a router.

Back