Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does God exist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RPGMasterTurk91, Nov 19, 2009.

1. RPGMasterTurk91

RPGMasterTurk91 Turkish RPG Master

Slightly different than my other active topic "Why atheism", this topic seeks to focus more on that idea concerning whether God exists or does not exist. It will focus more on the concept of God, so what religion one may be shouldn't have much of an affect the discussion as much as it normally would (but nonetheless still there).

If you believe in God, explain your understanding of God (for example, if you are a deist, you might believe that there is definitely a God, but he doesn't care for his creations, or that God is a man, etc.)

If you do NOT believe in God (which would be the majority of the people who are going to contribute to this thread), explain why you don't believe that God exists and maybe even what led you to believe that way.

Remember to keep the discussion calm and clean so as to make the experience as enjoyable and informative as possible.

To start off, personally, I will be posting several articles that give the Islamic perspective as to why without a doubt a single Creator with infinite power exists, and the absolute proofs that there actually IS a God, and attempt to show that those who do not recognize His blatant existence are truly blind (that is simply my message and isn't meant to offend anyone).

EDIT: January 25th, 2010: Here's a video of the answer in the Islamic perspective, very easy to follow and is worth watching and is enjoyable. Don't let the video length scare you, or don't skip around should you decide to watch the video in its entirety. Answers a lot of questions and touches on many subjects concerning if God exists. There is some terminology that will definitely be foreign to you (he uses a few Arabic words, but don't worry the video is in English), and I will try my best to aid you in what he meant when explaining something or responding to someone. The actual lecture starts at about a minute and twenty seconds in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aCbrGqhoBc&feature=PlayList&p=BA79CF90621797EC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2[/ame]

#1 RPGMasterTurk91, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. WAWlrus

WAWlrus yer dad

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    depends on your religion[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#2 WAWlrus, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. RPGMasterTurk91

heh no it doesn't (I'm pretty sure you were joking).

God existing or not is not decided by one's belief. A belief can be anything. Anyone wanna have a say in this matter? Be my guest.

4. Shadow*91

Shadow*91 Not Here

0000-0000-0000-0000
    God does not exist.

everything in the world we know can be explained in a certain matter. for example we came about through evolution and then advanced ourselves from cavemen ancesters to the highly technological beings we are today. some will argue God and i will even admit, some of the push needed to advance came from religion. does that mean God? no, but rather that these thiests gave thier help and claimed it was from god.
    when an artist gets inspired and paints the greatest masterpiece in the world, many will say the artist was inspired. around the same amount will claim the inspiration came from God.

we can find evidence to explain almost every occurance possible. the ones we can't, we're working on figuring out. many thiests will claim it was 'Gods will, until we do, and the stubbern ones will after too.

to put it simply though, it all comes down to a belief of whether there is a God or not. its currently impossible to prove him yet currently impossible to disprove him. humans today simply don't know enough. when we learn more we'll likely revise our views and that will change the worlds beliefs. like how everyone believed the world was flat. until finally proven otherwise it was defined as fact.
    God may not be defined as fact but you'll get a fair amount on either side of the arguement about his existance.

and this is just a rhetorical question: if there truly is a God, should we worship said diety? the world today is plagued with disease, tyranny, war, and hate. do those sound like something a caring and loving God would allow? i don't believe in God but if he existed, i would hate him with every fiber in my being for allowing such evils to run ranpent accross the globe.

5. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    God dose exist but hes very bus touring this time of year

6. navarre

navarre Proud Protestant

Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northe
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Perhaps if you didn't view it as irrationality it would help your perception of it. I have my own reasons for believing in God, of which I have found my own evidence. Since I have no desire to prove it to anybody else, am I so irrational?

7. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

Does a God exist? I don't know. But I've never seen any good evidence to suggest the existence of a God, therefore I don't believe that one exists.

8. DRMARIO

DRMARIO Controversial.

0000-0000-0000-0000
    Put it this way.

We have more proof for the existence of extra-terrestrial UFOs, and Alien abduction, than we do for God.

9. The Storm

The Storm Legendary Super Saiyan

lol. Thats not god. Your thinkin of Santa Claus. lol

10. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

8041-7231-3447-6164
    Try again kid

LEMMY IS GOD

11. RPGMasterTurk91

So, you've found it only reasonable that God exists (maybe even irrefutable evidence found in nature that proves that he is indeed real), only he doesn't care about his creations, right? He's created the natural world and allowed it to exists as he made it, but has no place in interfering with anything on this creation of His we call our home, earth. If you were serious about your post, and what I said further is true about your beliefs, that makes you a deist. Well, are you a deist, atheist, agnostic, or neither?

Shadow I will get to your post after.

12. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

8041-7231-3447-6164
    Of coarse god exists
    And he sang thusly

13. her01771

her01771 retired competive brawler

Wii Friend Code: 3653-1119-7805-0000
    3653-1119-7805-0000
    Does god exist? for me, I'm not going to say.
    But no one will truely know until they die.
    One thing, though. Does science have a good explaination what happens after death???

14. Napalmbrain

It's difficult to say. Personally I would assume that without an active brain to support it after death, the consciousness just ceases to exist.

15. RPGMasterTurk91

When you see a butterfly surely you will be filled with admiration for such an aesthetic display, a symmetry that is without the slightest flaw, the dazzling colors and patterns. Now think of a piece of cloth. Assume that it is a very beautiful piece of cloth of good quality that has been woven with the inspiration of these butterflies' patterns. What would you think if you saw such a piece of cloth in a shop-window? Probably, the existence of an artist, who has drawn the patterns of this cloth, taking the wings of a butterfly as an inspiration while drawing them, springs into your mind, and you appreciate his artistry. In this situation, you should also appreciate this fact: the artistry you admire doesn't belong to the person who draws the cloth pattern, taking butterflies as his example, but to God, Who is the originator of the patterns and colors of butterfly wings. The colorful wings of butterflies with their wonderfully varied patterns are magnificent manifestations of God's artistry in color. Just as a pattern on a piece of cloth does not come into being by chance, so is the color and pattern symmetry in the wings so perfect that they could not have come into being coincidentally.

Moreover, the splendid wings are not the only striking features of butterflies. The body design of butterflies is also perfect in every respect. The butterflies take in nourishment by sucking up nectar from flowers. Most butterflies have a long organ called a proboscis which they use to reach a liquid that is at some depth. A proboscis is a long tongue used to drink water or to suck up nectar from flowers. The butterfly rolls up its long tongue inwards when it isn't using it. This tongue can be three times the length of a butterfly's body when unrolled.

Like other insects, the butterflies also have a skeleton that covers the outer surface of their bodies. This outer or exoskeleton is composed of hard plates connected by soft tissue, looking like some sort of armor. The hard material is called "chitin." The formation of this layer comes about through a very interesting process. As is commonly known, caterpillars pass through a rather complex process called metamorphosis. The caterpillar first becomes a pupa and then turns into a butterfly. Throughout this process of metamorphosis, slight changes occur in the wings, antennae, legs and other body parts. Also, the cells in different key areas such as the flight muscles and wings re-organize themselves through every phase of metamorphosis. Furthermore, along with these changes, almost all systems in the body -the digestive system, excretory system, respiratory system etc.- go through a process of immense change.

This diversity in design that butterflies have, as much as their wings, belongs to God, the All-Powerful. God is the One Who bestows every creature with the characteristics it needs.

16. Napalmbrain

Evolution.

And before you say anything, we've got mountains of evidence for it, from the fossil record, biogeography, genetics, comparative anatomy, embryology, antibiotic resistance, vestigial organs, and even actual experiments done on E. coli, guppies, and fruit flies.

17. Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney™

Wii Friend Code: 2731-8224-5251-0572
    2731-8224-5251-0572
    I believe he does. Everything that has ever happened, everything that was prophesied, was all mention in the Bible. However, there's a big thing I like to point out to all the 'Christians' out there. Most Christians think that when Jesus comes back, we are to be 'raptured' into the air, and God will burn the earth. I would like to throw this out here. When I've read the Bible, it says that the anti-Christ, (Satin), will be the first to come out of Heaven. (There is no 'hell'. Hell is a lake of fire. Satin is held on some section of Heaven which nobody goes.) Anyway, he will come first, before the real Christ, and he will end up somewhere in the Mt. of Olives. There, he will claim to be the real Christ, and trick everyone to believe that, and attempt to rapture them away. Everyone who stands up saying he's the anti-Christ will most likely be prosecuted, killed, etc. (Which they won't, if they have faith in God) Now, before he takes us 'Christians' away, the real Jesus will come, and lock Satin for a 1000 years. There, the real Savior will relieve the confusion for all the people who were 'fooled' by Satin. (He isn't going to burn them in hell.) After he saves his children, which would take the approxiamte 1000 years, he will leash Satin out to the lake of fire, known as Hell. (ALSO!! Satin would be coming to earth once there is a World System thing going. This is when the world does everything 'exactly' the same, such as same money system, politics, education, religion, etc.) If any Christian is reading this, and doesn't believe me, read the Bible once in a while. It took me 5 years to understand all of this. But, back on topic, I do believe he exists. He acts in many ways, too. You see people in a horrific stage of cancer, and with one little prayer, they may be healed the next day. People who live in poverty would someday live a decent life. God works in many ways, and everything is supposed to happen this way. Why, this very thread could've been planned by God for me to post in. I do believe in him, and I always will. The Bible teaches 'great' morals, prophets, etc. That's my clean, easy answer about this thread. :)

18. navarre

navarre Proud Protestant

Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northe
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    I've started wearing a crucifix necklace around church, school and general activities. I think it is great way to identify yourself as a Christian, and ones for men are trendy and cheap.

19. her01771

her01771 retired competive brawler

Wii Friend Code: 3653-1119-7805-0000
    3653-1119-7805-0000
    evolution? please.
    i've seen enough evidence to prove evoulution wrong before.
    this is wierd. i didn't know that boz. but it is good you told meh. :thumbsup:
    but, i don't really know. no one really knows. i believe in god but i don't really know in what bible to belive in.

20. RPGMasterTurk91

You can say "evolution" to anything you want. I say, it IS true that a butterfly "evolves" from a caterpillar to a winged butterfly.

So explain to me how the first creatures who "needed" very specific features in order to survive survived? They were still adapting to the planet. So how do birds evolve to grow longer beaks? How does genetics "know" that the bird needs a longer beak in order to survive? And apparently the original beaks were just fine because the species continued to live on to this day. Evolution claims that the original giraffes did not have long necks. How then did they survive without the proper features needed to survive? As anything evolves to protect itself from predators and consume food easier, so does everything else. The giraffe, according to the theory of evolution (which has definitely not in any way been proven, why do we have ape-like creatures from which we "evolved" from?), kept stretching its neck towards a tall tree where it needed to feed from. How did the original giraffes feed, and when they did, didn't the trees in which they fed on "evolve" to form some sort of defense? Anyways, over millions and millions of years the giraffes bred and bred until finally their necks got longer and longer. What were they feeding on for millions of years if they had been reaching for the top of a certain tree for all of those years?

Ask yourself, if someone has their arm chopped off, do they lose the ability to bear children who have two arms? Not at all, the arms won't even be deformed one bit, one would be a fool to think so. Evolution deals with every organism learning to "deal with their surroundings". If the water fowl developed clear vision in water over millions of years of "trying", how did they survive up to this day, and if they survived then, what would be the use of being able to see in water? Hows does genetics determine whether to give them this ability, and not something else "accidentally"?

There are many, many flaws in the argument of evolution--up next: "Survival of the Fittest" (this is more of a self-reminder for the next topic I want to talk about).