Does God exist?

I think it's safe to say this argument is probably never going to go anywhere. The simple fact is, I don't accept the argument from design as valid, so no amount of quotes about the complexity the Universe is going to convince me God exists.

The funny thing is, 14 billion years of our universe combined with your scientific thinking entirely supports an incredibly complex universe anyway. The fact that giraffes have long necks supports evolution.

It is impossible for a non-existent being to master its body and acquire essential traits consciously. So, the very existence of giraffes unquestionably proves that they are created by a conscious creation, that is by God.

So what do you say about the mutated organisms whose mutations hinder them from being able to survive in the natural environment? Evolution has this covered - mutation is a completely random process: you win some, you lose some. But surely, an animal born incapable of breathing, or feeding itself, or protecting itself from predators, has not acquired its essential traits at all. There is no "intelligent design".

I do not follow a religion which has beliefs of one creator, but I believe that in historical ages, before current day technologies of such power could send us into outer space and beyond, people did not know how everything was created. In those dark ages, many would have been scared and would have tried to believe in a single creator of the Universe, therefore feeling more comfortable through life and the afterlife, as any were scared of what would happen after death. Science did not bring us miracles, in health 2000 years ago, meaning lifespans were short, people wanted to believe that if they followed the single religion there would be life after death.

I believe the Universe was created through Natural Phenomona in an even larger space which will probably never be explored by humans. I do believe in life around the Universe though, more intelligent than human life. This is because they may be invisible to the human eye or take form some way they can never be seen.

After death I believe, is like sleeping, forever darkness. It may be scary to some, but I believe in eternal nothingness after death, meaning not knowing you are dead. Like before you are born.

I do not believe in a single creator, but I respect others beliefs.

And at the end of this, who created the creator?

And that is the Universe and everything from my perspective...

Last edited:
So I've been thinking a lot since school started again. I've been asking myself what do I really believe? And I think I've found the answer. An answer that I think I've always known, just never brought up in fear of letting down family and friends. Possibly even myself.

Though that's done with and I've decided for myself; as an individual. I believe there is no God. I believe Catholicism is a religion based upon fear. A fear in the sense of high authorities in the Church creating ideas (such as hell and burning in fires for the rest of eternity) to keep the people in line.

I believe that religion was created for reassurance in the sense that it makes people content to know/think they know where they go after they die. I also think that it was created to keep people in line while they live. To keep people from doing "unethical" things. Though I think this is understood by most people.

I've learned for myself that science gives me enough explanation. It has facts and logic, which I base all my opinions around. When someone force feeds me God saying, "believe this.", "why?", "because we ****ing said so. The Bible says so." "But-", "Shut the hell up, and believe."
The above quotes is how I feel my faith has been based up on. Also with 12 years of Catholic studies, I've got a pretty good grip of this theology.

And it sickens me. I hate going to Scripture class. I hate having to spew what i was taught back at the teacher in homework assignments. Because simply, I find it's a waste of 41 minutes in my day. I only go to that school because it's one of the best in the state.

Now here's what I have to say that's good about Catholicism. It has given me a good moral basis. It's taught me many strong ethical traits I'll need in life. The Bible is an amazing book. It teaches me how to think outside the box and raises many good symbolic stories.

where does this bring me now? I'll believe that there could be something there. Though there most likely isn't. Right now I don't care. Right now, I'll follow my own path. I don't want any of God's "special path" that he's designed for me.

To me, there is no such thing as a "God" or any kind of Deity. DPrinny stated in this forum somewhere his Religion is a "404 Not Found" Kind of thing. Well that's damn representative of what I am. No religion = No way to find out how to "emotionally" hurt me.

But I SWEAR that this thread is severely against the rules. Either that or they changed them. Any thread with the topic of religion usually isn't allowed, because it's a HUGE opportunity for trolling.

EDIT: Hot dayumm I've grown up ten years mentally in just one physical year.

But I SWEAR that this thread is severely against the rules. Either that or they changed them. Any thread with the topic of religion usually isn't allowed, because it's a HUGE opportunity for trolling.
There's nothing in the rules which prohibits topics like this, but if people start flaming/trolling then me or one of the other mods can lock it.

- lmao! well, i still and always will believe in my Christianity. There's no way you can prove anything pretty much, even if you back it up with any facts. For those who say that God is the problem that there is wars going on and etc. etc., why must you blame him? Every good christian knows that God does not cause grief, it's the people that do it. America, good ol' America, was founded, and who did? People who were strong believers of Christianity. Back then, there was prayer in school, etc. etc. and we were blessed with God's grace. Now, America is deciding to be liberal, and take away prayer from school, the 'pledge of the alligiance to the flag' and even the 'In God We Trust' on the nations dollar! Doing this, now God's blessing is going away from us, and making life hard. :frown2:

Right... Umm... Im not too keen to agree with that, Boz... Say for instance if I believed there was a god... What your saying is kind of blaming him for your troubles anyways. You say times were good back then because the people who founded this country did prayer and worshipped him, so he gave us his grace... And nowadays, bc we dont do that... Life is hard bc he took away his blessing.

If your a true christian and you read that... It doesnt make any sense. I was fed christiaity as a child as well... And to my knowledge, God is supposed to love you unconditionally... Regardless of your belief or devotion to him. Correct me if im wrong plz, I havent payed attention to any of that for awhile.

And Im not trying to flame, im just trying to understand... Cuz it seems like you kind of contradicted yourself bc you say you hate ppl who blame God for war and famine and such... Yet you ended your post saying that the reason life is hard these days is bc of god withdrawing his blessing... Which contradicts christianity itself, if i am correct.

Right... Umm... Im not too keen to agree with that, Boz... Say for instance if I believed there was a god... What your saying is kind of blaming him for your troubles anyways. You say times were good back then because the people who founded this country did prayer and worshipped him, so he gave us his grace... And nowadays, bc we dont do that... Life is hard bc he took away his blessing.

If your a true christian and you read that... It doesnt make any sense. I was fed christiaity as a child as well... And to my knowledge, God is supposed to love you unconditionally... Regardless of your belief or devotion to him. Correct me if im wrong plz, I havent payed attention to any of that for awhile.

And Im not trying to flame, im just trying to understand... Cuz it seems like you kind of contradicted yourself bc you say you hate ppl who blame God for war and famine and such... Yet you ended your post saying that the reason life is hard these days is bc of god withdrawing his blessing... Which contradicts christianity itself, if i am correct.

Not much as hate, but i dislike it. Life is hard, and God isn't going to just magically give you a million bucks on a day you need it, but he's a forgiving God, yet, he doesn't like people worshiping other religions, idols, etc. In a way, i did contradict myself in some way, but it's hard to explain it half the times. (only 15, if i could be a master at this, it would be hard.) but, there are other Christians (most churches) saying that there's a rapture-thing that's going to happen when Jesus comes from heaven. this is not true. they believe that Jesus will come, take all the Christains, and burn the earth with everyone in it. (This is the main reason why most other people say God is nothing but trouble.) it's not true, and i believe i explained it somewhere on here. but, (and im not flaming you either) it's not my place to judge the ways of other people and their religion. if i were to judge, saying that this and that are wrong, and etc. I would be hypocritical, and going against my own religion. the main point is that it's hard proving any religion. evolution is something that gets me, and today, i do not see monkeys slowly coming into little men. (no flame, just saying) there's really nothing any could do but just to believe or not to believe.

- lmao! well, i still and always will believe in my Christianity. There's no way you can prove anything pretty much, even if you back it up with any facts. For those who say that God is the problem that there is wars going on and etc. etc., why must you blame him? Every good christian knows that God does not cause grief, it's the people that do it. America, good ol' America, was founded, and who did? People who were strong believers of Christianity. Back then, there was prayer in school, etc. etc. and we were blessed with God's grace. Now, America is deciding to be liberal, and take away prayer from school, the 'pledge of the alligiance to the flag' and even the 'In God We Trust' on the nations dollar! Doing this, now God's blessing is going away from us, and making life hard. :frown2:
Most of your country's Founding Fathers were indeed Christian (although a few of them were deists), but they explicitly founded the US on secular principles. Things like the motto on coins and the pledge of allegiance didn't come until later, and it's not unreasonable to suggest the Founding Fathers never wanted things that way.

evolution is something that gets me, and today, i do not see monkeys slowly coming into little men.
That's not how it works. Modern day monkeys are not our 'grandparents', they're more like our 'cousins'. You shouldn't expect them to evolve into humans.

Hey guys I'm still going to be extremely busy for the next 2 weeks or so, I have 5 finals coming up within 10 days time, but I will become active again once I have the time, don't assume I gave up on the threads as I have not.

Thanks for continuing a civilized discussion, by the way (no sarcasm).

Back