Does Nintendo block Wii consoles from non-US IP addresses?

SoupCamera

WiiChat Member
Nov 20, 2006
Does Nintendo block Wii consoles from non-US IP addresses?

For example, if I try to use store-bought Wii points and
use it to download games from Nintendo, will their server
deny access from Wii consoles coming from a foreign IP
address? (both the console and the Wii points were
purchased from BestBuy store in the US)

Thanks!

good question. I can't imagine they would. If so, have your wireless router use an american/canadian/euro proxy server. Again though, assuming all your gear was bought in the same region I would doubt you will face restrictions. if so, just take a trip to the states or canada every few months to get your VC on, hahaha.

I have a second Wii from Amazon. I ordered it for my friend who can't get the Wii in her country yet.

Maybe I'll just hook up that Wii and download all the vintage games, before I ship it to her. :)

SoupCamera said:
I have a second Wii from Amazon. I ordered it for my friend who can't get the Wii in her country yet.

Maybe I'll just hook up that Wii and download all the vintage games, before I ship it to her. :)

Yea that would certainly make for a nice little surprise :)

Wii points cards are not locked by IP, they are Locked by console region.
Wii points from north America are a damn sight cheaper than Europe, but will not work on a UK console, and if i was to import an NTSC console, i would need to obtain points from that region too.

If you are in the UK, you can use points from SOME of mainland Europe, namely Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, & Switzerland.

Hope this answers it :)

Back