Does the Wii have great...

thier ok, nothing too special when u consider 360/ps3 but it's capable of some good lighting compared to last gen.

yeah

obviously the wii has inferior graphics compared to 360 and pS3

however, it's capable of decent graphics. possibly around the dx10

RjPunk47 said:
Does the Wii have great physics and lighting. Lighting like in Directx 10?

Hmm, I doubt the Wii could run any of the new features in DX10 at a reasonable framerate. Look at some Crysis DX10 videos for an example of a game built on it. As far as physics and lighting though in general, the Wii does both, it just doesn't have as much of it as other PC/console titles.

That being said, the only thing I really know for sure is that DX10 requires a hefty PC to run well, and retain a decent framerate.

Budo said:
Hmm, I doubt the Wii could run any of the new features in DX10 at a reasonable framerate. Look at some Crysis DX10 videos for an example of a game built on it. As far as physics and lighting though in general, the Wii does both, it just doesn't have as much of it as other PC/console titles.

That being said, the only thing I really know for sure is that DX10 requires a hefty PC to run well, and retain a decent framerate.

Of course your comparing DX10 features for a game that the PS3 would fail to push out at a reasonable rate.

The Wii will be able to give you some pretty decent graphics, and as far as the physics go, I'm still undecided. If the speculated specs are correct, I don't know how capable the Wii will be of handling really good physics engines (it is of course possible they have a dedicated physics chipset, but I don't think I've heard of it).

I'd have to say no to all the above.

The Wii is like DX8 if its lucky. DX9 games are still much more complex then the Wii can handle. As for physics... I'd say none. People refer to Mario Galaxy for physics, but I don't know what they're talking about. Obviously they don't know what game physics mean in this day and age.

I've been playing Lord of the rings online with the new DX10 enhancements, ad it looks beautiful. If you look at this and Crysis against the consoles then there is no comparison. Some oif the difference are subtle but once you notice them they add some extra depth. The water in LOTRO is the best i've seen, and the DX10 shadows are amazing.

player911m said:
As for physics... I'd say none. People refer to Mario Galaxy for physics, but I don't know what they're talking about. Obviously they don't know what game physics mean in this day and age.

Huh? What does "physics" mean to you?
I have only played it a little bit, but I know that different worlds affect how high Mario can jump. At one point I had to smack a plant and it would come back and hit something else. I'm not sure what you mean by "none", but there are game physics involved.

Also, just play Wii Bowling. There are physics involved in the movement of the bowling pins when the ball hits them. Just one example.

Well I don't know what the hell player911m is talking about, do you know how old DX8 effects are? The specs of the gamecube GPU were capable of doing almost all of the DX9 effects (probably not HDR).

@LoganSix, I have the same thing to you, do you know what in-game physics is refering too? From all the video's of galaxy i've seen (wife won't let me play mine till christmas), there are no in game physics computations needed to play that game. In game physics are extremely complex and will often require an extremely large amount of processing power to calculate out the results. The most basic form of this would be seen in Oblivion (with rag doll physics used for bodies and a more basic engine used for all other objects). Since no one from Nintendo has stated what the processing power for the Wii actually is, or if a dedicated physics chipset is present, the answer to this question is only a guess at this point in time.

cookiemonsta11111 said:
Great physics... have you seen Super Mario Galaxy?

no but ill probably get it when i get my wii i heard it has great graphics.

largedarry said:
there are no in game physics computations needed to play that game. In game physics are extremely complex and will often require an extremely large amount of processing power to calculate out the results.

There are in game physics, you can't say there are none.
Wikipedia definition of Game physics.

You may argue about the complexity of the physics, but you can't say that there are none being handled by the Wii.

List of games using the Havok Physic engine on the Wii.

Last edited:
LoganSix said:
There are in game physics, you can't say there are none.
Wikipedia definition of Game physics.

You may argue about the complexity of the physics, but you can't say that there are none being handled by the Wii.

List of games using the Havok Physic engine on the Wii.

Thanks for the links, but I'm fully aware of what game physics are, and some of the different engines used. And the limited use of any physics in Galaxy (as far as I know) is limited to one object at a time. The amount of computations required are very minimal, if I am incorrect in my assumption please give me an example of it.

And the rag doll physics used for the death of an NPC requires more computational power than what galaxy uses.

And unfortunately for your link, the havok physics engine specifically utilizes GPU processing power, as where the more advanced engines need to use the CPU or a dedicated physics chipset to perform the physics calculations.

largedarry said:
And the limited use of any physics in Galaxy (as far as I know) is limited to one object at a time. The amount of computations required are very minimal, if I am incorrect in my assumption please give me an example of it.

So, for example, on one of the worlds as the world is rotating 6 spheres are rolling in unique directions around the world and Mario's speed is affected by the type of ground he walks through. Something like that?

Back