Does the Wii stream Netflix in 480p or 480i?

parkmd

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2010
The Wii support pages say that the Wii can support 480p for some things and 480i for others but does not give specifics. Can anyone confirm that Netflix via the Wii is streamed in 480p? I'm trying to decide whether to buy component cables to take advantage.

Yes, the Nintendo can run Everything in 480p. That includes NES, SNES, N64, WiiWare, Wii Games (Most Wii Disc Games Support 480p, there are few that don't support 480p), and Netflix fully supports 480p (or Both).

Last edited:
I guess I have a better Naked Eye. I see the differences between 480i and 480p, SD and HD.

Sd & hd have obvious diffrences but i'm pretty sure 480p & 480i the only diffrence is how its read or broadcast or somthing along those lines since p stands for proggressive scan meaning the amount of frames per second. I stands for interlaced Frames or somthing. Anyways im pretty sure no one can see the diffrence unless your inches away from the tv.

480i displays in a 30fps singular image consisting of 15fps from both the left and the right side of a frame via DVD or VHS Cassette Tape. However, 480p uses a static 60fps singular image that doubles 480i speed. Since 480p is static, the frame of the picture's color is clearer and the speed allows the image to be sharper. You cannot have static color with a interlacing set of pixels.

fps= Frames Per Second

Back