Does Wii 2007 play CD's and DVD's?

Rachey

WiiChat Member
Jan 12, 2008
I've heard that the wii 2007 would be able to play DVDs, but I also heard you need a special chip or adapter type thing. Also can we play Audio CD's.
Thanks
Rachey

Wii's can't play dvd's or cd's, sorry.

im not sure if i should be happy or pissed at that article
or at nintendo wth!

d_k said:
im not sure if i should be happy or pissed at that article
or at nintendo wth!

The article was written before the wii was released. I don't know it it will happen, but if it does. I hope Nintendo makes it so that a update cab enable to to play movie DVDs and not make a new machine.

What I want mostly is for the machine to have a USB hard drive and a voice chat and head set so I can tease my freinds when playing. :lol: :yesnod:

There are many "mod" chips on the market that give your Wii this ability, they arnt too expensive but you have to open up the Wii to install the chip killing your warranty. Also at anytime nintendo can send an update and if they know about said "mod" chip they will try to kill its functions

these chips also let you do things like homebrew, and play backup copies of your games, this isnt illegal but frown apon because its getting people one step closer to stealing games...

here is a site that sells a good variety of chips for the wii and tells you there capabilities

http://www.ps2cover.com/nintendo-wii-mod-chips.shtml

i personally wouldnt hack up my Wii just to watch DVD's or listen to CD's when you can buy a DVD player for 12 bucks at radioshack that will do both of them.. Heck for 40 bucks now you can get an HDMI 1080p upconverting DVD player why waste the time,money,warranty?

besides if your intrested in hacking the Wii

Last edited:
Rachey said:
I've heard that the wii 2007 would be able to play DVDs, but I also heard you need a special chip or adapter type thing. Also can we play Audio CD's.
Thanks
Rachey
It can play AAC music files and videos from an SD card.

Also, there was talk of a DVD compatible Wii replacing the current one, but it has not even been mentioned by Nintendo in nearly a year.

Back