Dolby Pro Logic II but how?

have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
I think all pro logic does is turn stereo sound into 5.1.. Ive got my Wii connected to my Logitech Z-5500 and it does a pretty good job at turning it into 5.1 tennis sounds good when the mii cheers it comes out of the rear speakers sound like im really there lol....
It would of been better if nintendo could of put and optical cable slot in then we could of had full 5.1 or even DTS but from what ive read prologic is a cheaper way..

I have the same speakers how do you have yours set up? I have the Wii going into the audio input on the right side of the control panel....

Lip said:
have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
I think all pro logic does is turn stereo sound into 5.1.. Ive got my Wii connected to my Logitech Z-5500 and it does a pretty good job at turning it into 5.1 tennis sounds good when the mii cheers it comes out of the rear speakers sound like im really there lol....
It would of been better if nintendo could of put and optical cable slot in then we could of had full 5.1 or even DTS but from what ive read prologic is a cheaper way..

ya 5.1 has been around before HDMI or Coax digital audio anyway... all 5.1 is is stereo sound split up.. there is no thing as true surround sound its all just digital enhanced stereo... they dont have 5 boom mics on a set on each side to get your surround sound... its all in the decoder... so if you have surround sound with D 5.1 all you do is plug in the left and right,hdmi,coax cable into it and it will inturn decode it as surround sound breaking up the stereo into 5 channels gives you the illusion of surround sound... the only place your gonna find "real" surround sound is at an IMAX theater... no one else waste the money or time on it.. its just software...

ive got it in the back connected to the rear on the 6 channel with the switch on stereo 1-3. ive also pluged the 3 way cable what came with them in to the front and sub even tho they arent connected to anything for some reason it make it all louder...
you get the same effect from the audio input on the side i just use the back cos my mp3 player is in the side

Thanks for the details everyone put about DPL II. I sorta knew that already, I was just wondering how the Wii does it with just LEFT & RIGHT.

LIP --- I have mine plugged into the side and I don't really hear much to the rears, what "effect" setting do you use on the Logitech with the Wii??

wezeles said:
....the only place your gonna find "real" surround sound is at an IMAX theater... no one else waste the money or time on it.. its just software...

Why do you say this? How is the sound from an IMAX movie any different than that of a digital movie in a theater?

Ive just tried it in the side and i get the same sound as i do in the back
I have it on PL music.. Have you changed the sound settings to surround in the wii settings menu

Lip said:
Ive just tried it in the side and i get the same sound as i do in the back
I have it on PL music.. Have you changed the sound settings to surround in the wii settings menu

Yeah I have changed it on the Wii, I have been using the 6 Ch Direct for the Wii, I will try the PL music.

wezeles said:
ya 5.1 has been around before HDMI or Coax digital audio anyway... all 5.1 is is stereo sound split up.. there is no thing as true surround sound its all just digital enhanced stereo... they dont have 5 boom mics on a set on each side to get your surround sound... its all in the decoder... so if you have surround sound with D 5.1 all you do is plug in the left and right,hdmi,coax cable into it and it will inturn decode it as surround sound breaking up the stereo into 5 channels gives you the illusion of surround sound... the only place your gonna find "real" surround sound is at an IMAX theater... no one else waste the money or time on it.. its just software...
Ok, some information in here is correct, while the other half, well, you really haven't researched the information

5.1 surround sound means there are 6 speakers total, 5 normal speakers, center/left/right/rear right/rear left, and 1 sub only speaker, and since the sub is only like 1/3 of an average speaker (sub/mid/tweeter), it's only a .1 speaker

Older decoders, like ADCOM for example (I give this brand given my stepfather's decoder is an ADCOM), did exactly as you said, took the standard stereo connections and decoded the rear and center sounds out of the stereo sounds

Now for the thing you say about that there is only 2 booms for recording in stereo only, that is incorrect, even in the time when there was no coax, fiber optic, or HDMI audio, it depends on the subject, for example, if it's a commercial or infomercial (<spellings?)all you are recording is the subject, the person in the entertainment, which means you only care about the audio from that person, so that only uses 1 boom for recording, for specific stereo recording, there are 2 booms, but for something recorded for surround sound, there are 5 different booms recording, the 5 different channels are still on the media storage (CD, tape, DVD, etc.), but still goes through the stereo cabling and relies on the decoder to separate the center and the rear channels, the same thing happens when you have a mono television, the left and right channels are joined together and the right signal is more silent than the left, same thing goes for 7.1 surround sound, the 7.1 media is recorded with 7 different booms, or whatever microphone they use for that entertainment (and yes, there is a surround standard with 7 speakers, standard 3 in front, but 4 in rear)

Now for newer media and decoder units that have HDMI, coax, fiber optic, etc., the 5.1 or 7.1 channels of audio are on the media in the 5 or 7 different channels they are in, and the decoder dosen't have to decypher the audio from the stereo cables, therefore you have higher quality audio

Joshieca said:
Why do you say this? How is the sound from an IMAX movie any different than that of a digital movie in a theater?

in imax movies the hole idea is 3d effect, they spend up to 10 times as much if not more for video and audio in an imax movie then a standard film.. the acctually will setup more than a couple mics to record sound from a chase,fight,sceen... when you setup a film for i max there are acctually 5 to 10 different inputs for audio all different channels.. so its true surround..

gamechaser001 said:
Now for the thing you say about that there is only 2 booms for recording in stereo only, that is incorrect, even in the time when there was no coax, fiber optic, or HDMI audio, it depends on the subject, for example, if it's a commercial or infomercial (<spellings?)all you are recording is the subject, the person in the entertainment, which means you only care about the audio from that person, so that only uses 1 boom for recording, for specific stereo recording, there are 2 booms, but for something recorded for surround sound, there are 5 different booms recording, the 5 different channels are still on the media storage (CD, tape, DVD, etc.), but still goes through the stereo cabling and relies on the decoder to separate the center and the rear channels, the same thing happens when you have a mono television, the left and right channels are joined together and the right signal is more silent than the left, same thing goes for 7.1 surround sound, the 7.1 media is recorded with 7 different booms, or whatever microphone they use for that entertainment (and yes, there is a surround standard with 7 speakers, standard 3 in front, but 4 in rear)

Now for newer media and decoder units that have HDMI, coax, fiber optic, etc., the 5.1 or 7.1 channels of audio are on the media in the 5 or 7 different channels they are in, and the decoder dosen't have to decypher the audio from the stereo cables, therefore you have higher quality audio

now what you said is half right.. there are 9 times outta 10 only 2 forms of audio in a movie as it is filmed.. one for subject,one for background "effect" audio.... most effects you hear in a movie "gun shots,explosions" are added in later and the "surround sound" effect is added then.. all they do is run the audio across from one speaker to the other side... "car driving by" you will hear it start at the front and then it rolls to behind you.. this isnt the acctual recording its just an effect they give to make it more real its still just one audio channel comming off it.. ive worked on plenty of sets and had the pleasure of working on an imax film in my life... the only time ive seen more then 2 mics on a set was the imax... its all done in the edditing booth for everyone else.. time consuming but whenever you see DB 5.1 7.1 whatever on a box all that means is it is capable of being played in that manor.. its still just fancy digital stereo pulled around a circle...

true HDMI,fiber optic and Coax will decode it better then just the analog composite channels will.. but its the same thing just not as crisp and clear... the more channels the better for everything audio and visual.. analog you only have a couple channels to decode it where the others have multiple channels....but unless its imax.. or some very high end film its still just an effect added after the fact to make it more real... not the "real" sound...

wezeles said:
in imax movies the hole idea is 3d effect, they spend up to 10 times as much if not more for video and audio in an imax movie then a standard film.. the acctually will setup more than a couple mics to record sound from a chase,fight,sceen... when you setup a film for i max there are acctually 5 to 10 different inputs for audio all different channels.. so its true surround..

now what you said is half right.. there are 9 times outta 10 only 2 forms of audio in a movie as it is filmed.. one for subject,one for background "effect" audio.... most effects you hear in a movie "gun shots,explosions" are added in later and the "surround sound" effect is added then.. all they do is run the audio across from one speaker to the other side... "car driving by" you will hear it start at the front and then it rolls to behind you.. this isnt the acctual recording its just an effect they give to make it more real its still just one audio channel comming off it.. ive worked on plenty of sets and had the pleasure of working on an imax film in my life... the only time ive seen more then 2 mics on a set was the imax... its all done in the edditing booth for everyone else.. time consuming but whenever you see DB 5.1 7.1 whatever on a box all that means is it is capable of being played in that manor.. its still just fancy digital stereo pulled around a circle...

true HDMI,fiber optic and Coax will decode it better then just the analog composite channels will.. but its the same thing just not as crisp and clear... the more channels the better for everything audio and visual.. analog you only have a couple channels to decode it where the others have multiple channels....but unless its imax.. or some very high end film its still just an effect added after the fact to make it more real... not the "real" sound...
Ok, yes, the sounds you hear in some movies are usually computer created or recorded beforehand, and since IMAX is meant for the 3D experience, they do more of surround recording, and the audio systems used for IMAX theatres are high end, expensive, audio systems, but saying that non-IMAX theatres do not run off of true surround is incorrect, some time ago, I had a tour of a movie theatre for a cub scout outing, at the end of the tour, the person who hosted the touring gave out clippings of the discontinued films they played, and in the audio strip on the side of the filmstrip seemed to have 6 different lines, one per audio channel, they were thin, but I saw 6 different lines, and I don't think they would join them into 2 stereo lines and back into their separate channels, same thing goes for media with surround encoding, if you use stereo cabling, yes, I agree, the decoder would have to decypher what audio goes to what channel, but for HDMI, fiber optic, coax, etc., I highly doubt that it will break down the 6 or so channels down to 2, then back to 6 or so after the decoding, unless you have any proof that says otherwise, that is what I will believe

90% of all movie sound you hear in the final cut is NOT recorded on set. The sound from the machines on the set, the hum from lights, background noise, director directions, etc, all make the majority of sound recorded on a movie set usable only as a guide. Most of your sound is done in a sound studio where they can control the environment and then in post they will add enhancement to the sound, add in the music score, the effects, the ADR, and then do a final multi track mix utilizing computers and surround sound encoders to achieve the surround sound you hear. Just because an IMAX theater has more input/outputs for audio doesn't make it better for surround sound. It just means they have more separation for the equipment usually do to the large auditorium size and/or the equipment used.

gamechaser001 said:
Ok, yes, the sounds you hear in some movies are usually computer created or recorded beforehand, and since IMAX is meant for the 3D experience, they do more of surround recording, and the audio systems used for IMAX theatres are high end, expensive, audio systems, but saying that non-IMAX theatres do not run off of true surround is incorrect, some time ago, I had a tour of a movie theatre for a cub scout outing, at the end of the tour, the person who hosted the touring gave out clippings of the discontinued films they played, and in the audio strip on the side of the filmstrip seemed to have 6 different lines, one per audio channel, they were thin, but I saw 6 different lines, and I don't think they would join them into 2 stereo lines and back into their separate channels, same thing goes for media with surround encoding, if you use stereo cabling, yes, I agree, the decoder would have to decypher what audio goes to what channel, but for HDMI, fiber optic, coax, etc., I highly doubt that it will break down the 6 or so channels down to 2, then back to 6 or so after the decoding, unless you have any proof that says otherwise, that is what I will believe

my point isnt that the 6 lines of audio arnt there.. my point is it is digitally enhanced.. they a couple pieces of audio and move it around to give you the illusion of being in the middle of the action... in 5.1 there is 6 lines of code but its from the same 2 sources broken up and moved around some sound lowered some raised some eliminated some singled out... all to give you that effect... but be composite hdmi coax fiber its the same code for 5.1 7.1 pretty much anything your system supports..

there are a few surround formats that wont support composite but thats just because they have such complex codes... to decode it with composite would be about impossibal, most movies arnt even in these kinds of format and the surround systems that play them are thousands of dollars.. but still its just an effect of moving sound... they just spent more time on it

hmm easy way to explain would be the surround sound is the internet... you can use a modem using 2 wires, or a broadband using 6... its still get you to the same place does the same thing... ones just faster at it.. but the end result is the same... the quality will sound better on one then the other but thats just because there are more sources to get to one place.. but its still going to the same place...

Joshieca said:
90% of all movie sound you hear in the final cut is NOT recorded on set. The sound from the machines on the set, the hum from lights, background noise, director directions, etc, all make the majority of sound recorded on a movie set usable only as a guide. Most of your sound is done in a sound studio where they can control the environment and then in post they will add enhancement to the sound, add in the music score, the effects, the ADR, and then do a final multi track mix utilizing computers and surround sound encoders to achieve the surround sound you hear. Just because an IMAX theater has more input/outputs for audio doesn't make it better for surround sound. It just means they have more separation for the equipment usually do to the large auditorium size and/or the equipment used.

pretty much right on a set "inside" normally they would only keep subject speach... just the people talking and add anything else later.. you might get someone watching t.v. or a phone ringing but that would be about it, and alot of times thats added in too..lol you dont know how hard it is to answer a phone thats pretending to ring till you try it..

but when there is an outside shot they usually will keep a 2nd audio for background noise cars,construction etc. just to keep it lifelike... it would be hard to add that in later when you see a guy in the background with a jackhammer... they add just about everything else though and will manipulate that sound to give you the surround sound effect....

in any film though they do use 2 maybe 3 mics for this process because some audio might be better than others, and they need to interlace atleast the 2 tracks to get the stereo sound.. that can be as little as a mic per person.. one person talks it comes out the right side louder... the other person the left side louder...
then the 3rd mic might be used for backgorund noise which they will raise and lower certain elements to make it more real.. increase the sound of a car passing by... then move it from one side to the other of the surround board... to make it feel like it just passed you in your living room its just manipulated...

but when it comes to imax.. i mean real imax not just spider man 2 in imax theater... which is a normal film just adapted to fit the imax screen... something like the educational stuff, i got to do nascar racing for a week.. and they acctually had multiple cameras and mics everyware.. they all went to the same controll booth, thats why its so expensive its pretty much filming 3 or 4 movies at once and getting 1 large finnished project.. when you hear the car race around the track its acctually passing about 6 guys holding mics so it is the same as if you were right there in the car... only time ive ever seen that done crazy process but very cool... but unless you've seen an imax film.. real one.. its kinda hard to explain, most of them end up being documentarys and such not high end films but educational, and entertaining. giving you the feeling of being right there because you pretty much are with the sound and video they get with one shot..

hope that helps explain it a bit better spent more than a few years in film and t.v. production school and i still am lost most of the time.. ha ha

Last edited:
my point isnt that the 6 lines of audio arnt there.. my point is it is digitally enhanced.. they a couple pieces of audio and move it around to give you the illusion of being in the middle of the action... in 5.1 there is 6 lines of code but its from the same 2 sources broken up and moved around some sound lowered some raised some eliminated some singled out... all to give you that effect... but be composite hdmi coax fiber its the same code for 5.1 7.1 pretty much anything your system supports..

there are a few surround formats that wont support composite but thats just because they have such complex codes... to decode it with composite would be about impossibal, most movies arnt even in these kinds of format and the surround systems that play them are thousands of dollars.. but still its just an effect of moving sound... they just spent more time on it

hmm easy way to explain would be the surround sound is the internet... you can use a modem using 2 wires, or a broadband using 6... its still get you to the same place does the same thing... ones just faster at it.. but the end result is the same... the quality will sound better on one then the other but thats just because there are more sources to get to one place.. but its still going to the same place...
two things

1. How do you expect me to take you seriously when you can't even spell impossible correctly? I can tell that it isn't chat slang, it's just a plain misspelling, now listen, I misspell too, a lot of people do, but it was appearent at just a glance that you misspelled twice, if you have to, try using Microsoft Word and look for the red lines, sorry if that came out rude, I didn't mean to be, just saying that people aren't going to take you seriously when you do

2. You still aren't showing me proof, a simple link is all i'm asking for, here's how I see it, if you can't find anything to back you up, you might as well not know what you are talking about

Back