Dolby Pro Logic II question

Justinyoung

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2006
yes, the wii supports DPL2. but, i have an AV receiver that only supports DPL 1 and not 2, and its the Denon AVR-2800. But, since the Wii is DPL2 compatible, does that mean i can still get the 5.1 surround? does the Wii already decode the 5.1 signal and feed it into the AV receiver in stereo cables?

it will still work for ya dolby has been pretty good at backwards compatability... no the wii doesnt decode it your surround sound system does... wii just has the capability to send Dolby Pro II code in the stereo signal for your reciever to decode... thats how dolby works... the acctual decoding is done in your surround system

wezeles said:
it will still work for ya dolby has been pretty good at backwards compatability... no the wii doesnt decode it your surround sound system does... wii just has the capability to send Dolby Pro II code in the stereo signal for your reciever to decode... thats how dolby works... the acctual decoding is done in your surround system
umm, so i only get the DPL 1 technology right? DPL1 is 4.0 and DPL2 is 5.1, but i'm still not sure which one im going to get

correct your system will decode the DPL II as DPL I .. so its not the best sound you can get outta it.. you can find decent surround sound systems cheep these days i got just an RCA system in my bedroom like 120 bucks at wallmart with the 5 speakers and sub... does all the major surround formats...

okay, thanks man. yeah, but my AV receiver is for my whole family, and i'm too poor for even the cheaper ones :mad2:

just keep your eyes peeled... you can find them dirt cheep these days not top of the line but still an upgrade... its addicting stuff once you get into it...

yeah, AV receivers have been getting real cheap now, i saw one at fry's electronics for like 124 bucks with component switching, DDEX, DTS-ES, DPL2x, and everything. only 124 bucks. but i have other stuff to buy, so i have to work with this old AVR-2800. if only the Wii could do optical Dolby Dig.

its not a movie its a video game..lol untill they up the graphics and stuff not worth it to up the sound...
i was tempted to buy a 9.1 system i saw on sale but whats the point everything changes so quick and its not even standard yet, by the time it is it will be obsolete... i just have a simulated 9.1 system with an extra board running off my 7.1 right now... now if nintendo stays on top and makes all this money.. i deffinatley want the next system to be more powerful... support all formats of surround and better graphics... right now everything is so up in the air with t.v. formats,surround formats, and the types of cables that run them all...i wont waste money buying anything yet anyways till i see a standard of some sort

Back