Dont buy that PlayStation

Dongo

Banned
May 18, 2007
Santa Rosa Cali
Wii Online Code
4367-1900-0326-5132
"Whether or not Sony was sincere in its claim that a supply crisis led it to cut its initial shipments ... there's little question that the corporation was successful in the arena of hype marketing. Lines of obsessed PlayStation fans were a news staple ..."

"Don't get me wrong; it's definitely the most powerful video-game machine on the planet right now. But that's not enough. ... There's just not much software available that can take advantage of it."

"Sony is also under the mistaken impression that including the ability to play ... movies is a huge selling point. ... I'd rather pay less and get a machine that just plays games instead."

Think they were talking about the PS3? Wrong, thats everything about the PS2 in the year 2000. Media was telling people what they thought about it, not being gamers or realizing this would indeffinitly make DVD's a must have, were only looking at the price and what they thought they didnt want. Now some form of video playback is a must. With reports like this, I believe the PS3 will have the same success.

http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/27/playstation_rant/index.html

In the first six months of each consoles release, the PS3 sold about as many as the 360 in its first six months. Hard to believe considering how "poorly" its selling, huh?

* Wii (2,470,000)
* PS2 (2,200,000)
* Xbox (1,900,000)
* GameCube (1,540,000)
* Xbox 360 (1,384,000)
* PS3 (1,271,000)

Also, japanese sales for last week:

- DS Lite: 163,785
- Wii: 52,544
- PSP: 34,433
- PS2: 10,414
- PS3: 8,839
- Xbox 360: 2,105
- Game Boy Micro: 408
- GBA SP: 343
- Gamecube: 315
- DS Phat: 39
- GBA: 18

And germany for April and in total since all consoles release:

Wii: 20,000
PS3: 16,000
360: 9,500

Xbox 360: 262,000
Wii: 222,000
PS3: 70,500

Just thought id get some numbers up and yes, BUY THAT PLAYSTATION! lolz

Last edited:
It is but think, no matter what when someone buys a PS3 they will have a blu-ray. With the 360 HD-DVD is optional. If it was already in it, HD-DVD's wouldve had a much better market share then they do now, a years worth. Blu-ray wouldnt have stood a chance, but thats microsofts mistake and sonys gain.

Brawny said:
going from gen 7->8 is different than 8->9

Blu-ray v. HD-DVD is different than DVD vs. VHS

Thats a grossly overexagerated and unrealistic comparision. He is not talking about the nes vs and the wii, or any other unit. This is the next generation, the direct sequel to the previous console tech. It order to for something to be next gen, it has to build off and surpass what the previous generation has done, not slightly, but drastically. And this is what we are noticing.

You cannot deny that history, and this is a topic of history, is a pattern. A pattern that often repeats itself. This is what the OP is pointing out.

Brawny said:
going from gen 7->8 is different than 8->9

Blu-ray v. HD-DVD is different than DVD vs. VHS

If I may quote Brawny, I see his point

The leap from VHS to DVD was amazing, skip tracks, no fuzzy picture when you pause and so on.

But now, (taking out the PS3), blu-ray and HD-DVD is just a better quality picture and sound experiance, so people are having difficulty accepting that a DVD player now costs about £25.00 and a blue-ray costs £1000.00, for not much gain (none if you don't have a HD Television).

So when PS3 came out with "blue-ray", the non-gamer isn't arsed as Blueray itself is too expensive to replace your exisiting DVD collection with.

When PS2 came out DVD players were still expensive so the two linked was a superb idea from Sony, but as time goes on, ALL electrical items decrease in value, as will Blue-ray and HDVD, so quoting Shiftfallout this is why history will repeat itself and Sony still could come up smelling of roses. I said could, not would mind.

Last edited:
umm that quote about saying ps3 selling about as many xbox 360's wtf the ps3 just came out though, the xbox 360 has been out for a while....and it still got smaller sales, wow

mushroomedmario said:
umm that quote about saying ps3 selling about as many xbox 360's wtf the ps3 just came out though, the xbox 360 has been out for a while....and it still got smaller sales, wow

Launch sales. Like movies are judged by how much they rake in for opening week, so too are consoles. So the PS3 has outsold the 360 within the few months of both of their releases. Make sense?

your thread makes me laugh
ps3 sells as much as 360?
360 is YEAR OLD
and ps3 still didnt manage to sell as much as it

hahhahahahahhaha

/fail

Sovieto said:
your thread makes me laugh
ps3 sells as much as 360?
360 is YEAR OLD
and ps3 still didnt manage to sell as much as it

hahhahahahahhaha

/fail

Well no, the OP wasnt clear. The 360 has overall sold more units than the PS3. In Japan the PS3 has overall outsold the 360. The 360 has not out sold the PS3 in terms of their launch periods. (some can argue it was a supply and demand issue, but either way the fact remains). As long as we accept the facts, we can take from it what we will. The 360 isnt a horrible system, neither is the PS3. We just have to keep it real.

PS: have you visitied starcraft2.com yet?

Fixed that, sorry about the confusion. The PS3 did not out sell the 360, only its initial release. I was anouyed that people always compared the PS3 to the 360 when ones been out longer, which is pretty stupid and of course one will be better with a year up.

Shiftfallout said:
Well no, the OP wasnt clear. The 360 has overall sold more units than the PS3. In Japan the PS3 has overall outsold the 360. The 360 has not out sold the PS3 in terms of their launch periods. (some can argue it was a supply and demand issue, but either way the fact remains). As long as we accept the facts, we can take from it what we will. The 360 isnt a horrible system, neither is the PS3. We just have to keep it real.

PS: have you visitied starcraft2.com yet?
yah okay (not sarcastic)

and yes, ive read nearly everything on there, i have a wallpaper up on my computer, and ive seen all the videos from there and ign =]

hehe. the japan sales r funny. DS is beating everything combined.. wierd o_O (not much for handhelds.. or anything really. xD)

First of all, the oinly thing those sales charts say is that 1) Microsoft is having trouble capturing the japanese market 2) PS3 is selling better than handhelds that have been out for several years 3) Yes it's selling poorly the PS2 sold nearly over 1 million units 4) the 360 is still higher in sales after being out for a year longer than the PS3 yet the PS3 sold less

So from that information we can gather that the Ps3 did better than the 360 from its initial release. If the Ps3 remains to sell consistently then in a years time it would have sold better than what the 360 did in its first year. Im not suprised, when Christmas comes around i expect the Ps3 to out-sell the 360 easily. The 360 just hasn't been in the market as long as Sony or Nintendo, therefor it doesnt have the fan base these companys have, so i dont expect the 360 to win the console wars.

Back