Don't expect Majora's Mask any time soon, if AT ALL! Same goes for Donkey Kong 64!

mushroomedmario said:
what? DK 64 owned, it's in my list of top 10 games i enjoyed

'we' care about dk 64 because it's awesome, you don't care about it cause your taste sucks
Nice reasoning.

It was just another generic 3D platformer with pointless collectathons and beyond basic level design. I have nothing against RARE or Donkey Kong, I just hate crappy games.

I'd imagine most of you were about 4 when you played it for the first time so that might be why you thought it was so good. To you basically anything with Donkey Kong in the title meant good.

Hell, when I was 4 I liked a couple of crappy games because I wasn't exposed to most games out there and I only like them now for nostalgia reasons, if even that.

Last edited:
XD375 said:
We can always pray that they add Expansion Pack compatibility in the future...

I guess the same would go for Controller Pack compatibility...

*looks at Castlevania*
They have a pretty big N64 catalogue to work from so i guess taking the extra time to add expansion pack games wont be a priority for a while, plus they havent even added N64 rumble support yet.

More important than DK64 though is Rogue Squadron, even though i think it was playable without the expansion pack i would rather have a version that was using it.

En4Neo said:
Nice reasoning.

It was just another generic 3D platformer with pointless collectathons and beyond basic level design. I have nothing against RARE or Donkey Kong, I just hate crappy games.

I'd imagine most of you were about 4 when you played it for the first time so that might be why you thought it was so good. To you basically anything with Donkey Kong in the title meant good.

Hell, when I was 4 I liked a couple of crappy games because I wasn't exposed to most games out there and I only like them now for nostalgia reasons, if even that.
well i just played it last year(At age 16,) and still thought it to be excellent...

i and a lot of reviewers seem to disagree with you, so you don't hate crappy games, you hate games that you think are crappy,

The expansion pack was because the N64 had very little memory to hold a game so large, technology has moved on a bit since the N64 ;)

I agree with mushroomedmario and elmo 999, I really enjoyed Donkey Kong 64. Luckily I can still play it on my N64.

first off, theres the issue with DK64 about rare owning the license. same with how everyone wants goldeneye. now that rare is owned by microsoft perhaps there culd be issues there. really though i dont think that an expansion pack can hurt emulation.

i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see dk64. one of the greats in gaming. MM i could care less about wurst zelda game ever, etc etc

Rare has already said on their own website that they are willing to release their old games on VC. It probably means Microsoft has plans for online Golden Eye with updated graphics. A similar effect was done with Castlevania SOTN (originally a PS1 exclusive). Microsoft could do this intentionally to harm Sony. I'm still astounded they grabbed Castlevania SOTN, it's currently one of Xbox Arcade's biggest downloads. A major loss for Sony.

Last edited:
lordrrr said:
first off, theres the issue with DK64 about rare owning the license. same with how everyone wants goldeneye. now that rare is owned by microsoft perhaps there culd be issues there. really though i dont think that an expansion pack can hurt emulation.

i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see dk64. one of the greats in gaming. MM i could care less about wurst zelda game ever, etc etc

DK 64 shouldn't be a problem, because Nintendo actually owns the rights to the series (that's why DKC can be on the VC). Other Rare games like Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, etc. are more complicated. Rare seems willing, but I believe it's up to Microsoft, since they now own Rare. Goldeneye is further complicated by the film license involved, so that's probably not going to happen.

XD375 said:
That's right!

I keep seeing people wondering where Majora's Mask is, yet anyone with brains needs to remember the fact that the Virtual Console N64 titles have no compatibility with the Expansion Pack! That means DK64, MM, and a lot of extra features in other games!

We can always pray that they add Expansion Pack compatibility in the future...

I guess the same would go for Controller Pack compatibility...

*looks at Castlevania*

I don't think you're thinking about this correctly...

The Wii simply emulates the N64 and other consoles, you don't necessarily need all these minor "paks" to play games. The Expansion Pak merely added more RAM to the consoles and the Controller Pak merely added memory. Are you trying to suggest that the Wii doesn't have 10's of times more RAM than the N64 (which it clearly does or it would be really embarrassing), or even the 256kb of memory the Controller Pak contained?

As for the Donkey Kong 64 argument, with it being property of Rare and all...it's a pretty good argument but people overlooked the facts that 1) Donkey Kong is essentially first the property of Nintendo, and 2) Donkey Kong Country was developed by Rare as well, and it's on the VC (as Napalmbrain has already pointed out). See his explanation as to why games like the other Rare games are more complicated, though.

Back