Dose the Nintendo Wii, have DVD capabilities.

Wiitendo

Banned
Jan 28, 2007
Mushroom kingdom :P
STOP

I know roumers have bin going up about a new Wii, or an up date on the Wii. (either ways i WILL get "it") What i am asking you guys is.... Is it possiable for someone to "download" DVD capabilities, now I know that the future is all gold and silver, Nintendo rules at life, and things are getting more advanced everyday and stuff, but im saying right now is it "possible" for someone to download DVD capabilites, I know the wii can take in a DVD i put one in my self, it did not read but it went in.

The Wii requires more than a software update to allow DVD playback ie. it needs new hardware.

This is subject is talked about way too much, a simple use of the search function would of answered your question.

Oh trust me I did, but you see I don't know a calculator from a cell phone lol :D I can't understand BXJDFL 34505056 prossesing hm T (7 gig) and all that stuff, I need it nice and easy. :idea:

I have seen someone post that it can play normal DVDs, but i just wanted it up straight.

Nope , no DVD without a hardware update. A DVD drive differs from CD drive by the laser it uses to read the disk. The laser has a much smaller spot, by about 150nm. So no, for DVD support there has to be a total hardware upgrade. Unless Nintendo isn't telling us something.

tank said:
Nope , no DVD without a hardware update. A DVD drive differs from CD drive by the laser it uses to read the disk. The laser has a much smaller spot, by about 150nm. So no, for DVD support there has to be a total hardware upgrade. Unless Nintendo isn't telling us something.

Your right about that the cd/dvd laser thing, but it's just that it can play Gamecube games, and they're minidvd's so the wii should have the hardware to read DVD-disks.. but to play it, that's another story.. maybe the wiisoftware/cpu/chipset has some sort of limitation that makes PLAYING the dvds impossible.. but no one knows yet.. Imo they have enough to get through with the online capabilities and other stuff that's not complete yet..but after that, maybe dvd-play....

A new Modchip allows you to play DVDs, meaning OMG Nintnedo could release a hard ware that allows you to play CD's and DVD. Hopefully by next Christmas they'll have one for like 20 bucks, but Im waiting for the Mod chip that lets you play Japanese games and allow you to download games from Japan (Virtual console games)

JerrodDRagon said:
A new Modchip allows you to play DVDs, meaning OMG Nintnedo could release a hard ware that allows you to play CD's and DVD. Hopefully by next Christmas they'll have one for like 20 bucks, but Im waiting for the Mod chip that lets you play Japanese games and allow you to download games from Japan (Virtual console games)

I dont see why you say that nintendo could just release a hardware upgrade.. you want people to mess inside the wii? a software upgrade i could see though.. but anyways, it sounds cool with that modchip matey, i think i gotta get one when, as you say when you can play the jap games and stuff ;)

It would need a slight hardware update but there have also been rumours going around that a usb dvd drive may be released for the wii's we all have now.

Back