DragonBall MMO game to be made in Korea, Japanese protest!

Shiftfallout

shiftfallout.com
Mar 9, 2007
Hollywood
Dragon Ball is a famous Japanese comic and has numerous fanatic fans. The Japanese gamers expressed extreme fury at the fact that Korea is developing an online game based on Dragon Ball which is a proud to Japanese people.

They complained it is unacceptable that such a highly-acclaimed national comic would be developed into an online game by Korea other than Japan itself. It also implies that BANDAI confessed that it is incapable of developing online games.

Several furious Japanese gamers posted in a gaming forum that sooner or later the Japanese game industry will be finished if Japan continues to give up valuable franchises to other countries without reserve.

However, in the past the Japanese gamers didnt show much concern on this sort of phenomenon. Why they reacted so fiercely on the Dragon Ball issue? Maybe this is a real blow to their pride to the local Japanese games and their longstanding confidence is shaken.

20070405190613361yh3.jpg

Interesting bit I found. I loved the Dragon Ball saga personally, however i too think it was a bad movie to have korea develope the MMO. Korean MMOs tend to be really.. crappy... in my opinion, often using recycled features such as minimalistic character selections, lots of grind and very little focus on anything else. The japanese have proven they can create good MMORPGs, FF11 for example, and they have the abilities to make great console games, so there is no excuse to give a cultural franchise to another nation. Also considering, theres not a lot of love between the two countries as some of their resentments from past wars still linger.

Thoughts?

They lost out on a lot of money indeed. Here's Dragonball - possibly the biggest manga/anime ever next to DBZ - and they're giving it up to another country. They could've made a fortune over this. I'd pay any price to play it. XP I don't blame them for protesting.

i believe the mmo combines both dragonball and dragon ball z into one dragon ball game. Unfortunately it looks like they gave korea the rights for both to combine them.

I think this sucks for them, but then again if I were Japanese I could care less. I hate MMORPGs and I doubt this game would change that.

Woot just Dragon ball
They need to make one where you can play as any type of anime character

Back