Dropped my wii

Frostman24

WiiChat Member
Mar 30, 2008
My brother dropped my wii. It still plays games, but turns itself off every hour or so. After investigating, I found out that it was overheating due to the cooling fan not working.

How do I fix this?

dedpoet777 said:
is it still under warranty?

Don't know how long nintendo's warranty is. I got my wii at launch, so my answer is probably no.

it is for 15 months. so, nope.

ok, well, im sure you can take it apart and try to replace the fan. whether you can find that exact fan is beyond me. i had to take my wii apart to fix it to play smash brothers. i didnt look at the fan, but id imagine it comes out. unless it is part of the case.

you do need a tri-wing screwdriver to get into the wii. it is like a phillips but nintendo specific.

id call nintendo and see if you can buy a fan from them, if you cannot find it on the net.

ive seen the usb fan attachment you can put on the back of it. im not sure if that would suffice to replace your fan or not, but it might be worth a shot if you cannot find any other way to fix it.

well you can buy another fan. Computer fans are pretty cheap. Maybe just glue it onto the vent and plug it in?

Edit: actually, I think there is USB fans for the wii. If there isn't, im sure an old USB fan would work. Just make sure it lines up with the vent.

Where could I get a tri-wing? I don't really thing that I need to replace the fan, it looks to me that it is just out of place.

I've been trying to take it about, but it's too hard without the tri-wing.

Frostman24 said:
Where could I get a tri-wing? I don't really thing that I need to replace the fan, it looks to me that it is just out of place.

I've been trying to take it about, but it's too hard without the tri-wing.

you may be able to get it from some game stores around you, but i doubt it. you can order it online. just type in " buy tri-wing" and you should find somewhere to buy it.

i would also watch this video on how to dissect it so you can find the screws.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc[/MEDIA]

Don't do anything to it yourself yet, call Nintendo first and ask if there are any options that they can help you with.

Back