DS browser no longer being made?

NarutoRulz

WiiChat Member
Dec 30, 2007
Tennessee
I was told they stopped manufacturing the DS Opera browser for the DS lite (not sure about the original one). You can still get some copies out there, but for the most part, what is out there is all there is.

My question, is why? I know it was terribly slow and did not support flash, etc, but it was pretty good in it's own way.

My dilemna is this. I can still possibly seek one out on the net. But should I? Did they stop making this browser because they are making a better one? I"m looking all over the net for any rumors of a new browser being made and Im not getting anywhere. If I don't buy the old one, and they don't make a new one ... I'll have NO browser. And any is better than none. But if I buy it and it's lame, and then they come out with a nice new one, I'll be be ticked. Lol

Any news on this front?

I own it and it was a huge waste of money. It was way too slow and lacked alot of features. Save your money.

It's totally worth it. Let me tell you a story...

I went on a boating holiday for 2 weeks and we spent most of time in this little town called Thurne. Now, it was in the middle of nowhere, just a handful of houses and a country pub. I had been without the internet for a week and I knew my inbox would be bursting. Therefore, I set out on walk with Opera.

And miraculasly (sp?) I found a house with an extremely good signal. There were only 10, in the middle of nowhere, but despite this, there was one. And even though the browser was painfully slow, I got onto Gmail, and read some emails which changed my life. And I used eBuddy Mobile to chat to friends I hadn't seen in ages, it was so good.... to get some decent communication. Before this I had hated the browser. But from this day I have loved it. It's so easy to picky back from a point because people and so dumb to leave them unsecured.

My advice: Go for it. For emergenices. But if you have a UMPC, Phone, or Blackberry etc, dont get it, it just doesn't compare.

- James

It's definitely been discontinued. But you shouldn't expect flash or anything media oriented. Why wouldn't it be good for reading about your interests on the go?

Yea I have one but I honestly don't care weather they are still makeing them or not they weren't all that great. I still always hold one in my DS case but I never really use it other than a quick google search. A new one would be great if it worked at a decent speed.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
I own it and it was a huge waste of money. It was way too slow and lacked alot of features. Save your money.

I totally disagree, My DS opera Browser is as fast as my laptop which is pretty fast. It loads quickly for the things I need it to. When I'm in bed and too tired to get up and check the SSBB dojo update I grab my DS and check it within 1 minute. It sucks they are going to stop making them, I'm glad I got mine when I did. Personally (too the OPer), check around the internet to see if they are not making a new DS browser, if not, I suggest you get it.

it always kinda came off as crap to me. not that ive ever tried it out but i didnt want to spend 35 dollars on a ds browser. i mean the ds is not a powerful system so i just assumed the browser would be crappy and judging by this thread i was correct. but the psps browser is actually really good and supports flash etc. but thats off topic.

i dont think they will make a new browser for DS and if they did it wouldnt be much faster.

but if you dont have any other access to mobile internet (who doesnt now a days though? so many different affordable devices out there) then it's still a browser and it's better than nothing.

kurokaito said:
The browser was an awesome idea! I liked the way you could look at webpages!
Thats the entire point of a web browser...

To the OP:
The DS browser sucked in every way imaginable. The only good thing about it was the IDEA of a web browser on the DS. Nintendo even knew it sucked and didn't want reviews for it to release until a month after the browser was released (that didn't work).

I feel bad for anyone who wasted their money on it.

Back