DS Lite

phimuajedi69

WiiChat Member
May 9, 2006
NC/SC, US
The DS Lite will make its debut in North America on June 11. [UPDATE] The unit will be priced at $129.99, the same price as the current DS, not $149 as previously reported. (GameSpot regrets the error.) Though the DS Lite has been released in white and two shades of blue in Japan, the handheld will only be available in "polar white" for the US launch. This doesn't necessarily mean it will be long until DS Lite owners get the blues--Japan's DS Lite launch was also restricted to one color, with the blue hues following one week later.

Couldn't find exact details to quote, but this is supposed to include brighter screens, longer battery life, is smaller and a sleeker design (thought it was a foldable ipod the first time i saw it...)

I saw it at IGN the other day. I was going to get my me and my son both a DS soon and im glad this thing is coming out. Looks very cool especially with the phantom hourglass and the new Super Mario Bros.

sorry, couldn't find a good one yesterday, here is a simple one that shows the new look, i'll see if i can find some size comparisons. it is supposed to launch in the us in white only (just like japan) with the other two colors (light and dark blue) coming soon thereafter.

Edit: Just found news that a black version has been announced for japan, can't find any good pics yet though

the fourth picture is another nice innovation, its a plug for the gba slot so its not open collecting dust if there is not a game in there, it can be seen in place in the side shots.

the last one reminded me of a couple other things they fixed:
1. the volume slider is supposed to work better now (if you have the original you know what i'm talking about, i could only get about three volume levels out of it: off, too quiet to hear, and loud)
2. the power button is now on the side(see next post for pic) and doesn't turn the unit off at the slightest touch (had that problem a couple times too when my thumb slipped past the d-pad)

Attachments

• dslite_screen001.jpg
    dslite_screen001.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 229
  • dsl2_screen001.jpg
    dsl2_screen001.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 233
  • dsl2_screen003.jpg
    dsl2_screen003.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 235
  • dsl2_screen004.jpg
    dsl2_screen004.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 232
  • nintendo_ds_lite_top_bottom.jpg
    nintendo_ds_lite_top_bottom.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
More Pics

shots of the power button, now it slides (something like on the psp i'm hoping)

regretably with the smaller size the gba cartridges now stick out, so remove it when your done playing and put the plug back in if it bothers you....

Attachments

• DSC03539.jpg
    DSC03539.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC03544.jpg
    DSC03544.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC03505.jpg
    DSC03505.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
size comparisons

so the ds gets smaller and the stylus gets bigger

Attachments

• DSC03496.jpg
    DSC03496.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC03499.jpg
    DSC03499.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC03500.jpg
    DSC03500.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC03498.jpg
    DSC03498.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC03520.jpg
    DSC03520.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
screen comparisons

so the ds lite has four levels of brightness, and no off, instead of off and on

the first pic shows the lowest level for lite vs the ds off, then the lowest level vs ds on (which looks about the same)....from there the pics step up the brightness of the lite, simply incredible

Attachments

• DSC03526.jpg
    DSC03526.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC03521.jpg
    DSC03521.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC03522.jpg
    DSC03522.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC03523.jpg
    DSC03523.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC03524.jpg
    DSC03524.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
i'm getting one just based on my want for Mario and Luigi's sequal..any details on a new gameboy though?

you guys....IMPORT!! all japan releases have 4 languages and all ds(s) are made to play ALL games...i.e. jap imports on amer. and vise versa...mine is coming in the mail in two days =] google im only paying about 35 more than what the release is here and im getting it a month early =]

Wow what a difference in the 2 handhelds. The DS lite really looks great and obviously not as bulky.

Amazing

simply the greatest re-release ever. its like a whole new system, you see things you didnt see before with the screen, its tv quiality in your hand...id say its clearer and brighter than psp hands down..
www.lik-sang.com (if im allowed to post links) i ordered mine on a friday and got it tuesday...how sweet..im gonna buy some gba games to see what they look like too...and movies...aahhh movies are gonna look great on it..15 hrs max battery life i read with the light on brightest...

nullkid said:
simply the greatest re-release ever. its like a whole new system, you see things you didnt see before with the screen, its tv quiality in your hand...id say its clearer and brighter than psp hands down..
www.lik-sang.com (if im allowed to post links) i ordered mine on a friday and got it tuesday...how sweet..im gonna buy some gba games to see what they look like too...and movies...aahhh movies are gonna look great on it..15 hrs max battery life i read with the light on brightest...

I would have to admit that when I played the original DS the graphics looked good when you were able to see them. The DS Lite will fix that problem and may even make me buy one. When is that release date or has it come out already?

Back