DS won't work on my router whats wrong?

JLU51396

WiiChat Member
Jul 3, 2007
I try to connect my DS to the online wifi section of my games and when I search for an access point it finds my wireless router and it has a good signal but when I test the connection the signal dissappears and it says connection failed, whats wrong and if my DS isn't working does that mean my Wii won't work?

Things to check.......

You have the correct passkey

Your router is on WEP security, not WPA or WPA2.

I'm not sure what a passkey is, and yes my router is on WEP security, but does it matter if my router is set on G-only or does it have to be set on Mixed?

Your pc is attatched to the same router? The passkey(encryption key) is the same one needed for your pc to access the service, unless your security is switched off (bad idea)....... You will need to manually enter this on your DS.

Mixed or g only? Mine is g only although many people find that only mixed works for them.

If you look here there is some help from nintendo for connecting your DS..... Hope that I got the country right!

I already tried Nintendo.com and it didn't really help much, How would i change my router from G only to mixed? If my DS doesn't work does that mean the Wii won't work either?

So you said you are scanning for an access point? If it is Your router you can reset it or set it up by going to your local host and logging in to the router to set it up. If it isn't even your router the router most likely is setup to block outside traffic. It can use more than just WEP/WPA there is the trusty MAC address filtering which will prevent access to the router on a hardware level. A "Media Access Code" is a hardware level code assigned to identify the object to services, such as a router and other computers. There are also manual ways, such as only having the WiFi on when it is to be used, instead of all the time.

So, if you were to connect to your neighbors router I would get buddy buddy with them and ask nicely. Of course you have to find who has the said router in the first place.

But if it is your router (which it seems unlikely that it is) than you should already know how to access it and change the settings, unless someone else in your family bought it and set it up. If so, tell us the name of the brand of the router and we can help more.

Umbrous said:
So you said you are scanning for an access point? If it is Your router you can reset it or set it up by going to your local host and logging in to the router to set it up. If it isn't even your router the router most likely is setup to block outside traffic. It can use more than just WEP/WPA there is the trusty MAC address filtering which will prevent access to the router on a hardware level. A "Media Access Code" is a hardware level code assigned to identify the object to services, such as a router and other computers. There are also manual ways, such as only having the WiFi on when it is to be used, instead of all the time.

So, if you were to connect to your neighbors router I would get buddy buddy with them and ask nicely. Of course you have to find who has the said router in the first place.

But if it is your router (which it seems unlikely that it is) than you should already know how to access it and change the settings, unless someone else in your family bought it and set it up. If so, tell us the name of the brand of the router and we can help more.

Yeah my dad set it up and made it where you have to put in a WEP password thing and he forgot the password so is there anyway I could change it if that is the problem? It's a Linksys Wireless-G broadband 2.4 GHz 802.11.g version 6 router, model number: WRT54G

Yes, there should be a pin hole on the back of the router, or where ever, that you can hold for at least 10 seconds and return the router to its factory defaults.

Than you can login again with the default login name and password and set it back up.

Back