DVD Article

camcool21

WiiChat Member
Feb 13, 2007
Monday, November 13, 2006
Nintendo to Enable DVD Functionality in Future Wii Console

Sonic today announced that Nintendo has chosen Sonic CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator to bring high-quality DVD movie viewing to a future version of the company?s Wii gaming console.

Nintendo plans to release this version of Wii in the latter half of 2007.

Based on the same technology trusted by Hollywood studios, CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator is a software-based DVD playback engine that delivers broad playback compatibility on a variety of platforms. The technology offers high picture quality and supports all standard video and audio formats offered in the DVD specification, as well as advanced functions such as anamorphic widescreen video, motion menus, and multiple video angles.

that article came from here http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=18966
does this mean the wii will be able to play DVD's?

Last edited:
'Nintendo plans to release this version of Wii in the latter half of 2007.'

Bullshit, that's too sudden for them to be making decisions like that, if they had interests in putting a dvd feature in there they would have made it in the first place.

I'd say thats BS. Nintendo would not make new versions of the Wii period. Let alone make it less than a year after launch of the original.

I already have a dvd player in my room, my wii is a GAMES console, and I want to keep it that way, if a dvd version was released it would not sell particularly well as the majority of people already have a dvd player and will feel that the price mark up on the dvd wii will not be worth it.

Who said anything about a hardware revision? "software-based DVD playback engine"

Flagel said:
I already have a dvd player in my room, my wii is a GAMES console, and I want to keep it that way, if a dvd version was released it would not sell particularly well as the majority of people already have a dvd player and will feel that the price mark up on the dvd wii will not be worth it.

I think the same way. Why do nintendo need a dvd player inside it when most people have a normal dvd player. It is a games console and nintendo should keep it that way and save money for better things than a dvd compatible wii.:)

Back