DVD compatibility?

Trulen

Isn't here as much
Oct 28, 2006
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Yeah. Just wondering.

Even though it doesn't say it on the specs page in plain English...

I've done some searcing around, and so far, I find nothing on the subject.

I'm just wondering, you think the Wii will come with DVD compatibility?

EDIT: What the. After looking at a sticky I didn't see 'til now, I see that it won't. But may have an add-on.

Sorry for being a moron!

yeah i thought it was stupid it didnt have a dvd player feature :(, still getting my wii tho.. :p

What kid of cheap skate dosent have a dvd player/recorder

i have a dvd player just if the wii had a dvd playing capabilities it would take for one less box in my room heh

komio said:
i have a dvd player just if the wii had a dvd playing capabilities it would take for one less box in my room heh
Yeah, but does your set-up include a surround sound system or HD TV? If so, then Wii wouldn't have been a good DVD player anyway considering it doesn't have true Dolby Prologic 5.1, nor HDMI. I wouldn't have minded it, considering the wiimote is a remote after all, but my Xbox is better for that anyway.

Since Wii games are on DVDs, Nintendo could potentially send a firmware update to all Wiis, allowing for DVD playback, but that's highly unlikely, at least for quite some time.

Wilko21 said:
what is fireware?

its firmware, it is the software that the system uses and runs off of if im not mistaken, and they can upgrade it anytime if they find bugs or whatnot kinda like the psp did, they had firmware upgrades to use wma files and also use the internet if im not mistaken, but yeah

it will probably be updated at some point but in all fairness, most people have a dvd player as well as a console, by keeping it out its probably reducing the costs

Yes, my house has a dvd player.
Just not in my room.

I'm not going to go buy a dvd player to place in my room, because there's one just around the corner in the living room ;P

Just saying, because having dvd compatibility would be.. A convinience.

not to dissapointing...I mean just go buy a dvd player at some garage sale or some store!!!

Oh well its not like I expected nintendo to add on a ability to their console which has been shown by microsoft and sony that works and makes a lot of money Nintendo do things their own way nuf said and thats why I love em

America will not be seeing dvd compatibility for a little while from what I understand, but from what nintendo has announced is that the japanese version of the system will indeed play DVD's

It's not the Japanese version. It's one which will be released some time in 2007 in Japan. It'll be an upgraded version of the wii, not the version at launch and it will be unlikely to ever come to America, Europe or Australia.

Back