DVD movie technology to hit Wii late 2007

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
In a press release earlier today, Soni Solutions announced that their CinePlayer CE DVD Navigator application will be used to bring "high-quality DVD movie viewing to a future version" of Wii.

"To be involved in Nintendo's ground-breaking gaming console is extremely gratifying and a testament to the efficiency, flexibility and dependability of Sonic's technology," said Jim Taylor, senior vice president and general manager of Sonic's Advanced Technology Group. "Game consoles represent a fresh market and platform where we can introduce a new audience of potentially millions to the quality of our brand and the power of our digital media applications."

Scheduled to hit the stores late 2007.

Read the full press release here:
Sonic / About / Press / Nintendo Selects Sonic to Enable DVD Functionality in Future Version of Wii Console

So, this is software, right? That means we can probably spend some Wii Points and download the app and then be able to play DVDs, no?

hmmm sounds pretty cool...but i doubt I would use it due to the fact i dont watch movies often.

New console or software? You decide.

i0n said:

FTFA: "...bring high-quality DVD movie viewing to a future version of the company's Wii™ gaming console. Nintendo plans to release this version of Wii in the latter half of 2007."

Seems to me this means another console will be released with the functionality, but the article is too vague to be sure. Any other news would be nice

-Q

MetroidZ said:
so, is it possible just to do a firmware upgrade or would it be a different Wii, because the Wii games are on DVD already... hope so.
They don't say...the article was too vague to make any assumptions yet...we need more info

If this is hardware then it sucks. Its foiling the consumer. Do we have to buy another Wii in six-months time to get this? I hope not. Sure i dont care about the DS lite with its white case and slim design, thats cosmetic, but a DVD player?

It better be software. But you know it wont be. And thats how they will keep the price at US$250 by next fiscal year. While unDVD Wii drops to like $200.

I guess this annoys me because, as lame as this sounds, i dont own a DVD player. I don't own a PS2 or a an XBOX. I've got a 12"ibook, but the screen is tiny and the DVD player is lame. I sell my technology. I don't own the consoles i owned previously, the NES, SNES, 64 and GC are all gone. I am Original Gangta Big N from 92. Always have been. So, to me, the possibility of a DVD inside the Wii is awesome, and, they've got me. Tho, like always, i'll just have to sell my launch Wii second-hand, to get the new model.

Lame.

And one more thing, geez i love nintendo! They're so like, previously "oh, we're not in competition with those other guys who are trying to create like digital entertainment hubs for the lounge room", but then they're like going to add DVD?? WTF? I hear the Wii can't even play audio cd. My point is, i would absoluetly love it if my Nintendo was the digital entertainment hub of my lounge/bedroom. Its all i would have.

It makes so much sense: Wireless remote. TV. and a Wii. Always in power save.

To be honest i can see Nintendo going next level with joint-ventures with Apple e.g., itunes store WiiShop. Airport WiiTunes. Honesty i don't know why there ins't a Nintendo Store in every major city, just like Apple Store.

The Wii to me is like the first computer to come anywhere close to being a kind of future television. It gets the internet away from the desktop, away from a keyboard. It puts photos and video on your tv, i mean seriously, whenever you do that stuff you are huddling around some lame computer screen. And mainly, it gets the TV away from the TV. A computer is personal, its meant for one person. A TV is for like a whole family or a bunch of people.

Wii.

"C'mon, C'MON!!"

Last edited:
Well, since any DVD-ROM drive on a computer can play a DVD movie when coupled with the right software, I'm pretty confident that a software upgrade will be all that is needed...

One would think so, and FYI, IGN said that they are not sure if this is a software upgrade or not.

I would assume that it is Software for the sole reason that the Wii reads its data off DVDs. But perhaps there is a missing link in the system. If this were the case, mybe nintendo would make it possible to "upgrade" your hardware.

Still... for some reason I think this will just be software. Cause Im sure all it needs to do is decrypt the data on the DVD, and previously the wii can't do that because it costs too much in liscencing.

I think Nintendo is doing it this way because they are exploiting some loophole. For example, maybe if they realeased the wii with a dvd player, then they would have to pay royalties ro soemthing. But if they release it as an option later on, then they do not need to pay them... Just a thought!

Inspire said:
So, this is software, right? That means we can probably spend some Wii Points and download the app and then be able to play DVDs, no?

I just found an article on this, and apparently we won't have to buy a whole new Wii, like you said rather, we can use Wii Points to pay for the software online through the Wii browser and download the program which will allow DVD playback. When it comes out, I'll be sure to download it, even though it's not the first priority on my list. Enjoy:

Wii to Have DVD Playback - GamersMark

Back