DVD patch

i didn't buy a Wii so that it will play movies.
i bought a Wii to play games.
if i want a DVD player, i'll use my DVD player.

honestly, like most mentioned, DVD players are dirt cheap now.
i have a JVC DVD player that's about 2-3 lbs that sits under my wii.

simple equation people:
DVD player = play DVD movies
Wii = play Wii/GC games

i would love however, to be able to play MP3s by plugging into the USB port.
lastly, i wouldn't want the DVD feature on my Wii anyway.
i don't want the optical laser to wear out quicker.
i would rather have the opitcal laser wear out playing games not my movies.

First time I ever heard of optical lasers wearing out. Do you have a source of information on this? Since all my years on computers since '91, never heard of this before.

Heh, I guess you've never had a PS2 and used it extensively for DVD's I know someone who works in Game and the amount of consoles they get in from people who's optical sensor has misaligned from DVD playback...luckily mine hasn't yet but I use a DVD player to play DVD's most of the time, shocking I know.

Source : Anecdotal

Even if the Wii could play DVDs - I would never use it for that. Seriously, if you don't have a DVD player already, I don't even know where to begin with a rant lol!

Haz said:
Even if the Wii could play DVDs - I would never use it for that. Seriously, if you don't have a DVD player already, I don't even know where to begin with a rant lol!

xbandaidx said:
First time I ever heard of optical lasers wearing out

I use to have a DVD player, an Emerson-branded Pioneer unit, and the DVD drive died like one month after the waranty expired. :(

Who would have thought that Pioneer would make such crappy products...

My mom use to have a Pioneer CD Player, and it lasted over 9 years...

Rebranded or not...it's still was a crappy unit. I'm just glad that I didn't pay for an overpriced Pioneer-branded unit.

After all, more often than not OEM==ODM in quality...

Last edited:
There is word going around that DVD Wii may never see the light of day. Even if it comes out in 2007, the market will be flooded with Wiis and I doubt that people will sell their Wiis for DVD playback. I would like for the Wii to be compatible with external HDDs or jump drives in order to store and play MP3s.

Master Foot said:
There is word going around that DVD Wii may never see the light of day. Even if it comes out in 2007, the market will be flooded with Wiis and I doubt that people will sell their Wiis for DVD playback. I would like for the Wii to be compatible with external HDDs or jump drives in order to store and play MP3s.

From what I heard, I don't know for sure because I don't have the game, you can use your own MP3 files during Excite Truck play. It would be nice to have that option for more games such as....Smash Bros.

Wiiaretheworld said:
Nintendo will most likely offer an HD DVD drive in about a year or two.

Ya, if they upgrade the Wii to output greater than 480p. . .otherwise it'd be pointless. This would definatley require a bigger processor and a large firmware upgrade. . .basically a new modle to support HD.

It'd be more likely that the Wii2 will be fully HD compliant.

who the heck watches dvd's with game systems? who really cares that the wii cant play dvds? they need to make a patch to something that people actually want. like how about giving more options on the miis? maybe give us more colors ? how about the ability to mix change colors?

csiguy4u said:
I'd rather have an upgrade so that the Wii could play MP3's via an external HD. That would be of more use than a 2nd DVD player.

Actually I was reading on http://digg.com somewhere that they have found an easy way to read any external hardrive and use it as a SD storage on the Wii. Basically you have an SD card in there. Then you take the card out or something while placing the USB Hardrive in and Vola...its reads the hardrive as an SD card. And you can put all the music and videos you want on it.

Then you can use programs like Video9 I believe or Video format converters for the Wii and use the external to play your whole media library from the Wii.

Pretty sweet eh

brejcha said:
Actually I was reading on http://digg.com somewhere that they have found an easy way to read any external hardrive and use it as a SD storage on the Wii. Basically you have an SD card in there. Then you take the card out or something while placing the USB Hardrive in and Vola...its reads the hardrive as an SD card. And you can put all the music and videos you want on it.

Then you can use programs like Video9 I believe or Video format converters for the Wii and use the external to play your whole media library from the Wii.

Pretty sweet eh

Ya, this was confirmed to be false.

http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/The_Wii_DOES_support_External_USB_Drives

Back