DVD Playback???

Im not bothered enough about dvd playback to buy another console , unless of course it has many new features , inc: more memory

The problem with adding DVD playback to existing Wii's is that there's no digital audio output. The best you could do would be Dolby Pro Logic II instead of full Dolby Digital or DTS.

I really don't think it matters to people. The wii is a great system to say the least but I doubt people are using it to replace their entire home entertainment system.

The only system out there that makes people do that is the 360 due to the large hard drive.

well, the DVD isnt going to be as good as the HD and Blue Ray anyways so whats the point.. By now everyone has DVD players anyways..

I would rather it be compatable to play 8-tracks.. with the numbchuck

I read somewhere that a Nintendo spokesperson said the Wii will need more than a firmware update to play DVD's... *goes off to find link*

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii <-- The last paragraph on Hardware.
A Nintendo spokesperson has announced that the company plans to release a version of the console with DVD-Video playback capabilities in 2007. Even though software will be used to enable DVD-Video functionality, it "requires more than a firmware upgrade" and cannot therefore be implemented through the WiiConnect24 network.

Last edited:
this is total rumor but theres a guy in these forums posting how his "wiikey" has enabled DVD playback and ive seen a few links on google as well, so its unlikely but possible a firmware update could enable DVD playback since the wii DOES have a DVD drive just not the "correct" software to decode movies

either way i have a dvd player in my PC,ps2 and just a DVD player dont really need another

Back