dvds and cds

pogohead

WiiChat Member
May 18, 2007
This may sound daft but why doesn't the Wii play dvds and cds? The technologies there so why not? And is there anyway it can happen? :)

No and Yes.
It can if they release an update. Though that statment hasn't been confirmed I think a software update will do it

I cant remember off hand where i read it (might have been ONM), but i remember something along the lines of wii's made after July-August 2007 will be able to play DVD's.

Unfortunately i can remember the same article also saying that while it is a software upgrade, its more than a normal firmware update so they wouldn't be able to release the upgrade for download.

If anyone wants to look through their back issues of ONM and confirm this then that would be cool.

I hope its a free upgrade since I've paid the same as everyone else! Oh well, hope it works out for us, kids can have dvd upstairs then :)

WII60 I value your opinion but all the hassle with switching scartleads is annoying for some people if they use everything on one TV,

It's more conveniant since it's all in 1 system

Technically nothing but if I can have my console do both I can give my dvd player to my daughter without having to shell out for another. Plus it saves space :wink:

true, i do use my xbox 360 as a dvd player upstairs. i'm deffinatly not dying to have a second one for my wii.

You can get cheap dvd players for about £20-30 now

I agree, all it takes is a swithing box, & yes, dvds players a dirt cheap now. But, I like minimal in our bedroom, it looks smart to just have the TV, Wii showing, instead of a DVD player, Digi Box and any other equipment, plus, if you have kids its easy for them to use... & I know dvd players are easy, but at the end of the day, its all convenience & minimal space these days, especially in bedrooms.

smilinmonki666 said:
I agree, all it takes is a swithing box, & yes, dvds players a dirt cheap now. But, I like minimal in our bedroom, it looks smart to just have the TV, Wii showing, instead of a DVD player, Digi Box and any other equipment, plus, if you have kids its easy for them to use... & I know dvd players are easy, but at the end of the day, its all convenience & minimal space these days, especially in bedrooms.

Well said :)

but it would be cool if u they get the wii to play dvd because i don't have one

TwilightSword said:
but it would be cool if u they get the wii to play dvd because i don't have one

If you can hold out for DVD until the Wii is released with the update, then do so... defo recommended. I'm supprised you don't have one. each to there own! hehe :D

Smilinmonki666

Last edited:
Back