Dvd's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miimaker2007

WiiChat Member
Feb 18, 2007
i really need to know if you can play DVD's on wii. I dont want to risk breaking my wii trying.:nonod:

right now you cant, a new wii is coming out in a few months with a DVD player included in it for a lil more moolah. also, its been rumered that nintendo will release an update around that time so that the original wiis without a DVD player that are out now can play DVDs.

Guitarsmasher108 said:
right now you cant, a new wii is coming out in a few months with a DVD player included in it for a lil more moolah. also, its been rumered that nintendo will release an update around that time so that the original wiis without a DVD player that are out now can play DVDs.
You will never be able to play DVD's on an original Wii, they read disks backwards. It's an ingenius way to prevent piracy. Besides, who doesn't have access to a DVD player already? I've already got a DVD player built into my TV, two more standard DVD players, and a DVD-Rom drive in my PC; I don't want to pay for any more frickin' DVD players. The fact that you obviously have DVDs to play in your Wii alone is proof that you can already play them, so what does it matter anyway?
:rolleyes:

Guitarsmasher108 said:
I think that rumor is not true...that would mean that it would already have a DVD player in it now...you cant download a DVD player

bigstrickler said:
I think that rumor is not true...that would mean that it would already have a DVD player in it now...you cant download a DVD player

You could "download a DVD" player if the machine had the ability to read DVD's (which it technically does) and the only limit was a firmware limit. In that case a download could update the firmware and solve the problem. It would also need to install CSS and you'd probably need to pay more since Nintendo would need to license the decoder software to have a legal DVD player. In fact, the rumor is that the company Nintendo hired to add DVD playback will provide a "software based" DVD solution. Story linked here.

But, if the Wii does something weird, like read DVD's backwards, then it might be more difficult to download a DVD player. I haven't read anything about this -- the only thing that I have heard is that the Wii spins in the correct direction but reads from the outside in, rather than the inside out, which would be easily correctable via software. The GC however, read in the opposite direction, but it didn't have a DVD drive.

Back