EA 2008 Wii Sports Games

FWELR

Bonds Passes Hank 8/7/07
Feb 17, 2007
California
Wii Online Code
5926-3597-6847-7270
k, just a brief summary of tidbits ive come across in the aftermath of E3 about wii sports from EA, ie Madden, Tiger Woods, etc.

Madden 08

first off, it will be online. secondly, there will be lobbies. thirdly, there will be no friend codes to speak of. this is all confirmed at a stage demo at E3 found here

IGN INTERVIEW
The Wii version will also offer a number of exciting exclusive features. One of those is our brand new Party Mode. We built this mode for those times when you have friends over and you want instant multiplayer action. We worked closely with our friends at Nintendo and have included full support to attach your own custom Mii to track your overall progress in the mode.
When first entering the Party Mode you have three distinct games areas: Play Now, Mini-Games and Trivia. All areas fully support four-player action. Once each player creates a profile with their Mii, it's off to gameplay where you can compete in 22 mini-games, a Trivia mode which will test your NFL knowledge or traditional Madden fans' favorite exhibition action. Each time you win or lose at party games it will raise or lower your Party Rating. The sheer number of multiplayer mini-games offered this year is staggering to say the least.

On the gameplay side you will see a number of those fun gestures return. We wanted to keep the controls fun and easy to remember so we remapped a lot of the difficult two handed gestures to simpler actions. The result has made the game a lot more responsive and fun to play.

sounds good to me. should be better than last year which was good.

TIGER WOODS 08

really haven't found too much about this yet, as to wheter its online or not, wheter you can choose your clubs, etc. here is a trailer, but this is probably designed for the 360 and PS3 rather than than wii.

NBA LIVE 08

excited about this. really excited. indept interview here which i will now quote:

In general, we'd compare this year's NBA Live offering to last year's Madden effort on Wii, as EA has a few solid ideas to work with, but it isn't necessarily as polished or in-depth as it could be. Don't get us wrong, NBA Live is a solid first basketball game on Wii, and if this early playthrough is any indication NBA should be more along the lines of Madden quality, and less along the lines of the lesser Tiger Woods effort, as it looks, plays, and acts like a true Wii conversion of an already booming franchise. Along with the other titles this year, NBA Live will include family play, full Mii integration, and a party mode for mini-game goodness.

seems natural, it is their first go at it. family play is here as well, and the miis are all over EA.

As for the general controls, NBA Live is pretty straightforward. Players take to the court with any of the officially licensed NBA teams, selecting a Mii to act as your team indicator and motion icon tabs (just like Madden), and jump into a more arcade-like NBA experience. On the court, simple gestures take over for timed button presses, so when you shoot a jumpshot you'll actually flick the Wii-mote up, and then forward to release the ball. Do this with the right timing, and your accuracy will be increased. In addition to the jumpshot players can pass left or right with a flick of the Wii-mote, press A for a quick-pass to the nearest open player, perform a crossover dribble by flicking the nunchuk, or slam dunk with a twist of the Wii-mote. On defense, it's the classic control swap between shooting and blocking, passing and stealing, and the like. Flick up and down to jump and swat at balls, and move side to side with the Wii-mote to attempt a sweeping steal. The general pass button is replaced by a player switch function, and the rest of the controls are yet to be determined for the final version.

Since the game is still in its preliminary state there are some things missing right now. From what we could tell there was no way to call plays, set up picks, do alley-oops, or perform speed boosts or spin moves, but we're sure all this will factor in with time. As for what's there, it's extremely rewarding even in its most basic state. Yes, all the motions in the game act exactly like a button press (you won't be missing shots because you're not "shooting" properly with the Wii-mote, something we can only dream about for Wii's later years…), but it's still a great feeling to do the motion, sink a three-point shot, and leave your hands up in the air to rub it in a little while playing a human rival. We did it… we loved it… guilty as charged.

gameplay almost sounds like NBA on NBC, if you remember that far back. i think they will add more stuff as time progresses, such as calling a play, for god's sake, wish i could play through a game without having do that. back on topic, it seems like most bugs will be fixed in time. and now to the really good news:

Where NBA Live 08 really sold us, however, was in the online portion of the package. Details are still pretty sparse due to the game's level of completion, but EA did share an interesting note with us. NBA Live 08 supports console vs. console play, which means up to eight players can go online and face off against each other. Since there are only two Wii systems connecting, EA treats it as a "team vs. team" situation, so you can play online with either one, two, three, or four controllers supported on each console. There were also rumblings that once connected, consoles could actually change players on each team; so you could go online with a group and then trade players pre-game and do a little mixed online competition. We'll wait to see that one in practice, but according to EA it's entirely plausible. Regardless, four-on-four online is confirmed, so get your teams ready, organize tournaments on the message boards, and kick a little ass via eight player online.

w00t!! :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

as much as 4v4! its like wireless LAN! granted, you can't as of yet, use more than 2 consoles, but there will be a menu like you were going to start an offline game beforehand, where you can flip-flop who can be on both sides. this is awesome!

FIFA 08

same as Madden, basically. online, Reggie confirms. long interview here and a quote about online:

We didn't get to try it out for ourselves, but FIFA 08 for Wii will make use of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for two-player head-to-head battles. Offline, this is a four-player compatible endeavor.

that's about all i can devote my attention to FIFA, never been that big on it.

NHL 08

not on wii, nor is 2K8 :cryin:

MLB 08 The Show

Play Station exclsive, however rumors are that MLB 2K8 coming. it has not been officially announced yet. will continue to follow this.

well there you go. i didn't include Bowling, only 29.99 w00t! or Mario and Sonic or Mario Strikers: Charged which I'm all looking forward to, because they're not EA licensed. anyway, hope this helps somebody as it did me, and if you'd like to, leave a little rep.:wink:

Last edited:
vagrant said:
If you are new to EA sports games, then you don't deserve to breath oxygen.

Yeah, it's pretty uncommon for a gamer to not know about EA Sports. Anyway, I will probably get Mario and Sonic, but if I had to stick with EA, then I'd pick MLB 08 The Show.

I'm really excited to see what they do with Fifa '08 on Wii. Always been a huge soccer/fifa fan

I can't wait for madden and nba live!

p.s. I would give you rep but it says I have to wait.

bumping a few week old thread on madden but i didnt want to start a new one

i just reserved my copy of madden at gamestop today. i was going to purchase 2007 but they said it comes out august 15th. therefore i might as well wait a few days and go pick up 2008 right?

j-e-t-s jets jets jets!

i cant wait to play! its going to be extremely wierd on the wii since i have yet to play any sports games (minus wiisports) and im used to ps2 and xbox

im extremely anxious

The_Loose_Cannon said:
bumping a few week old thread on madden but i didnt want to start a new one

i just reserved my copy of madden at gamestop today. i was going to purchase 2007 but they said it comes out august 15th. therefore i might as well wait a few days and go pick up 2008 right?

j-e-t-s jets jets jets!

i cant wait to play! its going to be extremely wierd on the wii since i have yet to play any sports games (minus wiisports) and im used to ps2 and xbox

im extremely anxious
Believe it or not, you will probably be playing like a pro within the first game or two because the controls work very well on Madden 07'; 08' should be better! The controls actually feel very real, except for kicking which you have to do with your arm in a swinging motion as if it were your leg. It works though!

woah it comes out august 14th? hmm i dind't know another online game is coming so soon

i'm goign to get this, which is odd cause mushroomedmario dosn't do sports...

except anything mario related

mushroomedmario said:
woah it comes out august 14th? hmm i dind't know another online game is coming so soon

i'm goign to get this, which is odd cause mushroomedmario dosn't do sports...

except anything mario related

yeah thats what i said i cant believe it comes out over the summer. it seems like madden 07 just came out! :yikes: but like i said i might as well stick it out and wait till it comes out.....it was either that or chicken shoot with the wiiblaster LMAO! that was awefully tempting you know. but seeing as how id be the only ass playing it and my bf hanging his head in shame with a video camera in hand (because you know that stupidity would make its away to youtube), id get a game we'll both play. madden 08 it is :)

WiiBad said:
Believe it or not, you will probably be playing like a pro within the first game or two because the controls work very well on Madden 07'; 08' should be better! The controls actually feel very real, except for kicking which you have to do with your arm in a swinging motion as if it were your leg. It works though!

wow thats not what gamestop told me. i think they were idiots but one kid kept flirting with me. he gave me credit for games that didnt work LMAO. i went in trading my PSP (got 200$ all together with the system and about 5 games plus 5 DVDs also the 1G memory card and the one 32MB one that came with it not bad IMO but i think he messed up lol) thats how you know he was way too flirty (tried to ring up the pro stick duo adapter lmao it was funny. he didnt realize that it CAME with it! gave me 5$ for it! lmfao idiot)

anyways enough side bar conversation, the other kid that was there said that the gameplay was awkward. i think they were sony fanboys though. they really didnt know much about the wii......didnt know about the xbox 360 either since apparently one kid was telling me about his "red ring of death" and endedup bringing the system with him.

oh well, im sure ill like it. im very anxious and i like how interactive the wii is. itll be fun virtually kicking a football since im too spaztic to kick one in real life (charlie brown = me)

Well the controls are definitely good, trust me. Very real feeling stiff arm, the passing is almost the best part except for running is flat out fun, and even the juke is pretty neat. I was competitive right from the start for the first time ever on a football game, usually it takes hours to get the controls down. Plus 08' is supposed to have a mode for people who don't usually play games, but this is hardly needed for 07' and most likely for young kids. I'm passing on 08' after getting 07' for like $29, and walmart still has it for that if you wanna save some cash. 08' has online, but it sounds like it won't be all that good the first time around for Wii. Anyway, just some thoughts for you.

WiiBad said:
Well the controls are definitely good, trust me. Very real feeling stiff arm, the passing is almost the best part except for running is flat out fun, and even the juke is pretty neat. I was competitive right from the start for the first time ever on a football game, usually it takes hours to get the controls down. Plus 08' is supposed to have a mode for people who don't usually play games, but this is hardly needed for 07' and most likely for young kids. I'm passing on 08' after getting 07' for like $29, and walmart still has it for that if you wanna save some cash. 08' has online, but it sounds like it won't be all that good the first time around for Wii. Anyway, just some thoughts for you.

very cool man! i just hope i remember to use the wiimote straps for once otherwise that wiimote is spiraling right into my tv :sick:

i found 07 for 17.99$ used at gamestop. i thought about snagging it but then asked about when madden 08 is comming out so like i siad id rather hold off and wait for 08 if its only in a week or 2.

and i already bought the game. i traded in my games, got an extra 20% towards reserves and paid in full for the game. ended up like owing 30 cents or something lol. later traded in the rest for cash value. :)

i cant wait till it comes out!

Back