EA Dethroned by Nintendo

sagema

3D Artist
Dec 5, 2006
NY
Wii Online Code
4496-9128-1304-3457
Many of you are aware that EA has pulled in over a billion dollars year on year, ranking them #1 for 5 solid years. Well those days are gone, Nintendo finally dethroned EA. EA makes an average of a new game every 3rd day of the year(around 180 per year). Activision, their closest competitor makes half that amount, most companies make 3-20 games a year. The days of flooding the market with more of the same hopefully will be at the bottom of the list.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180600.html

I'm not really sure how I feel about casual gaming taking over. I've always been a fan of the whole "hardcore gaming" kinda thing. Something about playing a game that makes my heart race as I fight through 20 people to secure an area and then fight some boss just seems a little more fun. I hope these sects of gaming will stay true and not fall victim to the "gaming on the run" attitude.

GThwaite said:
I'm not really sure how I feel about casual gaming taking over. I've always been a fan of the whole "hardcore gaming" kinda thing. Something about playing a game that makes my heart race as I fight through 20 people to secure an area and then fight some boss just seems a little more fun. I hope these sects of gaming will stay true and not fall victim to the "gaming on the run" attitude.
I think you will be alright. Just think about this, the more money Nintendo can squeeze out of the casual gamer's pockets the more it can invest (and create) more hardcore gamers like you. I see it as a win/win situation here. :)

KrisKhaos said:
I think you will be alright. Just think about this, the more money Nintendo can squeeze out of the casual gamer's pockets the more it can invest (and create) more hardcore gamers like you. I see it as a win/win situation here. :)

Yeah I know they will still have some good games. But there will be a noticeable change in the way games are made. These people don't care about you having fun, they want the money(however the two go hand in hand in most cases). But who has more money? Adults or kids who get their money through the adults. Adults (30+) are generally going to have a much different taste in games than a kid (ages 10-17) and young adults (18-25). However more companies, like EA, who commonly make games that we enjoy, are going to be replaced with some putt-putt game or golf game that your dad might like to play (I know some kids like to play golf games, but there are also kids who like to cut themselves). These things are said in the most general of sense so please don't post with your life story proving me wrong. And as for the guy who says EA puts out more of the same, I don't really know where you're coming from. I guess you want hits like Battlefield and NCAA to be replaced with mini games? Ok.....

KrisKhaos said:

that is so true, i never looked at it this way. but the thing is, WILL nintendo use it for the Wii in good ways like they are in mario galaxy, brawl and mario kart. ....or will it be $$$ for staff bonuses and raises.....or worse....more casual games

GThwaite said:

At one time i was proud to call myself a gamer and take the occasional snicker people would give, but now it seems everyone and their grandmother call themselves gamers.

EA has ruled the gaming industry in the USA with an iron fist of poor hiring standards, outsourcing that would make sweat shops look sane, and work hours of 80 hours a week, no days off for 2 months (destroying even the most hardcore employees). It has resulted in mass lay offs, lawsuits that violate even the most generous labor standards, and a brutal monopoly over their competition by flooding game shelves with more of their product than anyone else. I'm glad to see them off the top, and I hope those that replace them will be Microsoft, Konami, Capcom, Sony, and any other company that at leasts understands you can't get quality work with the whip.

Last edited:
lloyd_yayo said:
that is so true, i never looked at it this way. but the thing is, WILL nintendo use it for the Wii in good ways like they are in mario galaxy, brawl and mario kart. ....or will it be $$$ for staff bonuses and raises.....or worse....more casual games
Nintendo isn't new to this business like some (Ahem, Sony and Microsoft), and have had a track record of good customer relations since there first console debut. Matter's of fact it could be said that it was Nintendo's strong fan base that kept the GameCube boat afloat as it trailed along in 3rd place last-gen. Nintendo isn't going to forget about you.

With Nintendo christening more and more casual gamers before you know those casual gamers will become hooked and wanting more to satisfy there newly found game addiction. Soon you have a fresh new breed of hardcore gamers that too will expect some more serious games, and I don't see Nintendo wanting there freshly created monsters getting bored and running over to the other side to feed there cravings.

As far as Nintendo "dethroning" EA - more power to them. I'm not fond of EA's clone job of "MS's global conquest" of buying out everything that looks good attitude, and it's about time someone showed them up a little.

i bet its because of boogie. no offence to anyone who liked it, but it lost them money, in my opinion

sagema said:
EA has ruled the gaming industry in the USA with an iron fist of poor hiring standards, outsourcing that would make sweat shops look sane, and work hours of 80 hours a week, no days off for 2 months (destroying even the most hardcore employees). It has resulted in mass lay offs, lawsuits that violate even the most generous labor standards, and a brutal monopoly over their competition by flooding game shelves with more of their product than anyone else. I'm glad to see them off the top, and I hope those that replace them will be Microsoft, Konami, Capcom, Sony, and any other company that at leasts understands you can't get quality work with the whip.

I don't care about what they do in practice, I just want the good games. If they slip to "casual gaming" I'd have a problem with them. Otherwise they can keep expecting my dollar.

If Nintendo resorts to 100% casual games (well, maybe not 100% but pretty close to no good hardcore games), they'll lose my money and so far I've paid them a lot of money. I used to buy the portables without question - there were great games (I was younger then too) but with the DS and Wii; it seems brain training and puppies are taking over. I don't want to play simulated tennis - I can go outdoors to do that. I don't want to take care of a virtual dog. Four letters: S-P-C-A. I don't want to "train my brain". There's enough of that going on in school.

I just wish Nintendo would go back to the hardcore gamers.

I think the Wii is exactly what EA needed. Before all there games are cranked out, similar control schemes and graphics. Now they have to make something for the Wii that is unique, due to it's control and lack of graphic capabilities.

The games made for 360/PS3 won't easily convert. We will see unique games such as MySims made just for Nintendo. Existing games score higher with the unique use of a control scheme instead of more of the same 'ol same 'ol. For example, I found Harry Potter Wii excellent and it even scored higher than other consoles.

It's possible that having reduced graphics can help us. So far I have 4 EA games, and they are some of the better EA games I have owned.

Back