East vs. West Character debate: Goku vs. Superman

Bodine

Sonic expert
Jan 25, 2009
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
In an attempt to spice up the forums I'm trying to do something that might be fun, or atleast worth talking about. Every now and then I'll post a debate thread pitting a character from western comics, shows, games, ect. with one from the east that would fit it well. For the for the first debate, I decided to pit together two pop culture powerhouses.

Representing the east is non other than the classic hero, Goku from the Dragon Ball series.
i2mt6s.jpg

For the west is the superhero of superheroes, Superman from DC Comics, Superman.
qouc89.jpg

20gxh8m.jpg

So let's compare the two. I'll start with Goku.

Goku is of an alien race called the Sayians. The Sayians are naturally agressive fighters breed to be the strongest possible. And to put it shortly, Goku is the strongest of all the race. He was also the first to asscend to the legendary form the race is capable o transforming into, the Super Sayian. In His Super Sayian form, Gokus strength, speed, agility, etc. is multiplied by 50. When accending to a higher form, the amount it's multiplied doubles.

Now for Superman. Like Goku, Superman is a human-looking alien. His race is called the Kryptonians. Like the Sayians, the Kryptonians are far more powerful than humans. Kryptonians also are born with strange abilities, or super powers, like ice breath, heat vision, x-ray vision, flight, super strenth, and steel-strength skin. Superman does not have any other forms to transform into like Goku, but he may not need to. Goku has been seen struggleing with objects and training gear that ways a few tons, while Superman has been recorded lifting over 400 "quintillatons". That is quite a big gap, but in Gokus defense he only struggled with that weight while in his standard form.

My decission:
If you asked me like, a year ago I'd say Goku hands down. If you knew DBZ like I know DBZ you could see why. But over the year I've learned a lot about the man of steel that I had not recently known. I did not know just how close of a fight this could be. These are two fighters with god-like strength, it's not an easy choice. So my decission... is still Goku. Though it's never been officially recorded just how powerful he can be at his strongest, Goku has shown through action, not stats, what he's capable of. Superman is fierce, I mean FIERCE. But does he have the power to destroy an entire planet with ease? Maybe, maybe not, we don't know, he never has. But Goku has beaten people with that amount of energy. And even if Superman can, can he destroy entire galaxies with ease? Goku eventually becomes stronger than Broly, who CAN and HAS destroyed entire galaxys in the blink of an eye. So my pick, not an easy one though, goes to Goku, the lovable knuckle-headed hero.

But don't let my choice be what makes you choose, think for yourself. Discuss

Last edited:
Goku easily wins, how about the z warriors vs the justice league?

I think that battle would be a little one-sided. Characters like Batman or the Flash couldn't stand a chance against Piccolo or Vegeta. They wouldn't even last long against Krillin. But Superman or Captain Marvel could maybe go a few rounds with them.

Now for Superman. Like Goku, Superman is a human-looking alien. His race is called the Kryptonians. Like the Sayians, the Kryptonians are far more powerful than humans. Kryptonians also are born with strange abilities, or super powers, like ice breath, heat vision, x-ray vision, flight, super strenth, and steel-strength skin. Superman does not have any other forms to transform into like Goku, but he may not need to. Goku has been seen struggleing with objects and training gear that ways a few tons, while Superman has been recorded lifting over 400 "quintillatons". That is quite a big gap, but in Gokus defense he only struggled with that weight while in his standard form.

Slight error there (heres where i get nerdy)
Superman is only super human on Earth
Any Kriptonains that come to earth become super human
Something to do with our sun that he gets his power off

He also has a layer of invincibility round him (note his clothes never get torn).

The only thing he is weak to is Kriptionite

These two will probably never get into a fight anyway as Superman only fights when needed and for good (unless its that red Kriptionite then he just doscent care)
(IN B4 CLONES)

Good point, and I did not know that. So were the Kryptonians just like regular people back on their home planet?

Good point, and I did not know that. So were the Kryptonians just like regular people back on their home planet?

Yep
There planet was made of kriptonium
the people living there where immune to it, but Superman was sent to this planet as a baby so he didnt get the immunity to it

Superman 2 is a good point of reference.

Hm, I knew they weren't as "super" back home but I thought they could atleast fly.

So what is your analysis? On earth Superman, somewhere else Goku?

I will say this

The winner is dependent on the writer and i have better things to write

lol. Tough decision... It could go either way... Goku's not gonna beat Superman unless hes packin Kryptonite. And, though Superman may not have the power to destroy galaxies, you said something about over 400 quintillion? I think that would calculate somewhere around him being able to throw a planet... Which ive never seen Goku accomplish. Basically, if Goku has kryptonite, he wins, if not, Superman wins.

Also, @ Bodine, bc I am a stickler Broly fan i must correct you on this :) Goku never surpassed Broly; He was only able to beat him with the help of Gohan, Piccolo, Trunks, AND Vegeta's power combined with his, even in his super saiyan form... Second Coming he still needed Gohan, Goten, AND Trunks to beat him... In my opinion, Goku is overrated... Only fight he has ever really won by himself was against King Piccolo, and against Frieza. He couldnt beat cell, he couldnt beat Buu alone, and (for sake of arguement including the GT series) he couldnt beat Omega Shenron alone.

he couldnt beat cell because he couldnt even go super saiyan 2, he can go super saiyan 4 by the end of the series....

? Umm... No, he was super saiyan 2 when he was fighting Cell.

Lol I'll have to correct you this time Storm. The first time Goku transforms into SSJ2 is his fight with Vegeta during the Buu saga. He even says it was the first time he got to show off that transformation. He did transform into an accended sayian in the Perfect Cell saga, but noted the weakness of lack of speed while in that form and never used it, unfortunatly for Vegeta and Trunks they had to find out the hard way.

Really? But remember during his fight with majin Buu, he goes super saiyan, transforms again and tells Buu its kknown as an ascended saiyan, or a super saiyan 2, then goes SSJ3....

I couldve sworn he did go super saiyan 2 in Cell saga... Im pretty sure he did

Really? But remember during his fight with majin Buu, he goes super saiyan, transforms again and tells Buu its kknown as an ascended saiyan, or a super saiyan 2, then goes SSJ3....

I couldve sworn he did go super saiyan 2 in Cell saga... Im pretty sure he did

The explination to Buu is a well known miss-quote in the Funimation dub. The Japanese version he says something like, "I'm now a Super Saya-jin 2, it comes after the Super Super Saya-jin(Japanese name for accended sayain)."

Back