Easy kids game to play in the car?

jweaks

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City
We're getting my 5 and 7 year olds a Wii from Christmas. But, after opening presents Christmas morning, we leave for a 9 hour car drive. They're gonna be excited about getting the Wii, but sure seems cruel to not get to play it (they've played on their cousin's Wii several times so are familiar with it).
I have a portable DVD player with video in, so thought I'd set it up for them to play around with in the car some on the ride.
So, I'd like one of the games they get to be one that is possible to play sitting down in the seat... more button work than flinging the remote around.
Suggestions?
What about the New Super Mario World?

What about those downloadable minigames... that a good option? Suggestions there?

(I thought of getting a Gamecube game but then I'd need to get controllers, and memory card, sheesh).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Mario Kart Wii: just get as many Gamecube controllers or Classic controllers as needed and they'll be fine. no motion needed with those control schemes. (SSBB doesn't use motion at all)

The new wii super mario brothers is fun but wii is not really meant to be a sit down thing. It's more for exercise and moving around. Plus where would you put the sensor bar.

not everything needs motion though. also, if you use a Classic Controller a sensor bar isn't even needed(even for when you turn on the system)

trust me, i play sitting down, all the time.

Yes but not all games support classic. New super mario does not even support classic controller.

true, but does it require lots of motion? nope, nothing more then a couple small shakes.

lots of games require very little motion. for example Zelda Twilight Princess. just flicking your wrist for sword moves and pointing at the screen for the Bow&Arrow(which can be nullified with the Hawkeye&Bow combo)

and you don't need to be standing to play lots of games. if it doesn't require a Wii Fit board, then most likely you can play sitting down.

another thing is you don't need a sensor bar unless you have to point at the screen. you can use a Classic Controller for the main Wii menu, then unplug it if the game doesn't support it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to get a title that was able to use in the car using the WiiMotes. (I hesitate to confuse them with additional controllers.).
Is the new SMB a possibility? What about Wii MarioKart?

(I realize playing in the car is not ideal... just trying to be empathetic to my 5 and 7 year olds).

well Mario Kart with just the Wiimotes requires motion, and a car ride is definitely not a place for motion games. if your not willing to by a Gamecube or Classic controller, then you really cut the choices down to mostly plain old VC or Wiiware games.

i think mario kart and the ssbb is a good choice but not much motion at all and in a car theres plenty of room.

i play the new super bros wii game it dosen't use a whole lot motion just enough for a car & you dont even need the sensor bar on to play it just to start it

What if you get in a terrible car accident. Then you lose the car and the wii.

AND DID I MENTION YOU LOSE THE WII!!!!!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

What if you get in a terrible car accident. Then you lose the car and the wii.

AND DID I MENTION YOU LOSE THE WII!!!!!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

the last thing you would give a **** about would be the wii what bout the kids plus xbox360 is better i didnt even want the wii.

I have just realized that karaoke games are perfect, too. I just bought Disney's SingIt (please send me special prayers, hehe), and I think I'll give the new SMB a try as well.
Thanks, all.

super smash brother brawl is a good option ther is nothing that involves standing plus u can play on wifi with people around the world

Back