EDTV component question

chocolatefrosty

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
southington connecticut
Wii Online Code
0990-1409-7025-8054
i was thinking about getting the component cables. this is the TV i have http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4217276

my question is it says its edtv ready, but i need a seperate reciever to get edtv signals, so do i need to buy something else along with the component cables, and if so, can some1 send me a link to what i need, thanks guys, cya around...
also heres another link , http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Emerson-EWL20S5
same model and all but one says hdtv ready and one says the edtv ready thing, hmmm what should i do>

Last edited:
Hey now!

I have a "20" HITECH square tube" Emerson built in 1987 that has side speakers and composite inputs with audio out AND a removable glass plate infront of the tube which I like to call the "wiimote shielding aparatice(sp?)"

Dont dis Emerson! ;)

well all i can tell u is that EDTVs give better displays from component cables then HDTVs ---from what i read on wikipedia.org--- but do not give 720p resolution, only 480i n 480p; especially made for that, nothing else.

Question: my question is it says its edtv ready, but i need a seperate reciever to get edtv signals, so do i need to buy something else along with the component cables.

Answer: The reciever is only use when you are trying to get HD/ED channels. The signal that is sent from the source is a digital signal and the reciever has to translated into ED signal that the TV will understand. When using the Wii with the compenent cables it will transmit the ED (480p) singal that the TV requires to display it. So in other words, all you would need is the compenent cable and your fine.

I case of fixed-resolution displays (such as an LCD screen), I believe an EDTV would actually be better than a HDTV if you're going to use it exclusively for the Wii. With component cables Wii outputs at 480p, which is standard EDTV resolution. On HDTVs the image needs to be scaled up to a higher resolution (most often 720p), which affects the image quality.

I haven't tried it, but I would think Wii games look best on 480p displays, that is, EDTVs.

EDTV 'Ready' means the TV is CAPABLE of displaying in 480p, but NOT CAPABLE of PRODUCING a 480p signal. An HD 'Ready' TV is capable of displaying 720p or 1080i, but not producing them.

So in short, if you connect the Wii with the component cables, your TV is capable of displaying the 480p signal.

@wiizard: an EDTV is NOT better than an HDTV even for exclusive 480p (Wii). At best, it's going to look the same on both. It will just display at the native resolution on the EDTV.

vulcanfk said:
@wiizard: an EDTV is NOT better than an HDTV even for exclusive 480p (Wii). At best, it's going to look the same on both. It will just display at the native resolution on the EDTV.

That's my point. The image should be clearer just because it's being displayed in its native resolution. To be displayed on a HDTV, it needs to be scaled up, which requires interpolation, and interpolation *does* affect picture clarity.

Back