Error 51420...

Darkside7000

Luke Perry for President!
Dec 1, 2006
Australia
I just bought the Lan Adapter and can't get it working. I think it's a problem with the modem, as the XBOX360 ethernet cable doesn't work either (although it did a few months back, just stopped on day). My modem is connected to the computer through a USB cord. Is there any other way to hook up the Lan Adapter without plugging an ethernet cord into the modem. Stupid question, but i'm desperate.

OR is there anyway to find out whats wrong with my modem. I think it stopped working when our old computer stuffed up. Maybe not the right drivers?

This is the moderm I have: http://whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=h_view&model_id=278
Picture: http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/31619563-2-200-0.gif

My modem is connected to the computer through a USB cord. Is there any other way to hook up the Lan Adapter without plugging an ethernet cord into the modem. Stupid question, but i'm desperate.

nope.

OR is there anyway to find out whats wrong with my modem. I think it stopped working when our old computer stuffed up. Maybe not the right drivers?

you only need drivers when connecting via USB (as it seems you currently
are). how did you post this message? through the modem? if so, it's obviously
working!!

tbh, i'd connect via ethernet every time. it always seems more stable than
USB.

try connecting your modem/router to your PC via ethernet then re-boot the modem. once you have re-booted, go into it's configuration pages to see
if DHCP is enabled. DHCP is the service which allocates IP addresses to
pc's/consoles which are attached to the modem/router.

next, on the Wii, go into it's internet connection options and create a "new"
wired connection. leave all settings to obtain information automatically.

see if that works.

I had error 51420 when I bought the Datel Lan Adapter.
Make sure your sharing your internet connection with the local area connection.
and basically, dont use the ethernet cable that comes free.
when I had that plugged in, my computer didnt even recognise it was there.
But I used another cable, and it works.

btw you are plugging the ethernet cable from your wii to your computer and not from the wii directly to the modem arent you?

Error Codes 51420 - 51422

The Wii console is not able to connect to your wired router or modem.

1. Make sure that you are using the Wii LAN Adapter made by Nintendo (click here for a picture and connection steps). LAN adapters not made by Nintendo likely will not work with the Wii console.

2. Ensure that the Wii LAN Adapter setup is correct, and that the Wii LAN Adapter was connected with the console turned off. For step by step connection instructions, please click here.

3. Check to see if the ethernet cable you are using is not working properly, by connecting another ethernet cable from your router/modem to the Wii LAN Adapter. If the connection works using a different cable, then the problem was with the first cable.

4. If possible, try another Wii LAN Adapter. If you are unable to try another Wii LAN Adapter, or are still receiving this error code, please call 1-800-255-3700 for assistance.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/errors/51420-51422.jsp

"btw you are plugging the ethernet cable from your wii to your computer and not from the wii directly to the modem arent you?"

No... I was connecting it to the modem. Can you post some instructions on how the set-up should look please? Or post instructions to do it (or anyone for that matter).

I'm using the Datel Adapter BTW

darkside,

your modem appears to have "router" functionality...how
many LAN (ethernet) ports does it have?

have you tried completely shutting off the power to each
bit of equipment, then allowing the modem to power up
before attempting to power up your games consoles?

see if that solves anything.

failing that, have a look in modems configuration settings
to ensure DHCP is enabled.

1 ethernet port, 1 lan port. Thats all. And i've tried turning everything off.

How do I check the DHCP?

hi

in your original post, you gave a link to "whirlpool.net".
scroll to the bottom of the info page, it gives you 3 default IP options...see which one corresponds with your ISP.

alternatively, on your PC which is connected to the modem, click on start>run then type CMD into the run dialogue box and press "enter" to bring up the command prompt. at the prompt type IPCONFIG /ALL and press enter.

you will now see your IP information. have a look at the "default gateway" address, this is *usually* the LAN address of the device you're connecting too.

ok,

now you know how to get your IP details, do a screen dump
of them and post here.

we might be able to see if there are any conflicts or reasons
why the Wii won't connect.

when you do a screen dump, you will see a bunch of numbers
in hexadecimal format (a1:b2:c3:e4:f5:g6). this is your MAC
address, blank out those details as they could *potentially*
give away too much information, and although it's unlikely, a
hacker could spoof your MAC address and access your network
if wireless devices are involved.

Im thinkin to buy this wifi max but im a bit worried dat i will the same probs as u lot, i did have many probs wid my PSP wifi max, should i buy it?

Back