Expansion bay, Excepting N64 games on the Wii. Rumor?

Explosive Smurf

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2006
I heard that there might be an expansion bay for the Wii that alows you to plug it into the wii consol and from thier you can plug regular N64 cartreges right into the wii.

rumor, or no rumor?

If it is'nt true it should be made. The main reason being that it proves that you own that game so you can download the same game off the internet for free and have it on your wii so you can play it whenever you want.

To be honest, i doubt it. Would be nice, but i dont think nintendo would let you play a game on the wii for free when they can charge £7 for it. Secondly, would there actually be anything on the N64 cartridge to let the wii know what game it is? (for the free download idea)

chessaholic said:
Secondly, would there actually be anything on the N64 cartridge to let the wii know what game it is? (for the free download idea)

I'm sure it would'nt be that hard for the wii to find out what game it is.

Yeah, my original thought was that all the consoles do is read the visual and sound data off it, even though some of those visuals actually have the name of the game on them, the console itself cant 'see' them. (am i making any sence?) Though now that i think about it, you can get smash bros melee trophies for having certain other games (pikmin i think?) so to a certain extent the console must know what you are playing. Even still- though i do love the idea- nintendo wouldn't i think give away games for free, and you would only be able to download games available to everyone else. i.e- you wont be able to download perfect dark because it wont be on the virtual console.

I was told perfect dark for the 64 was going to be availible as adownload; is this not true?

Dreammer

This is probably the most stupid thing I'we ever heard.... cmon guys there is a thing called a serial number on every n64 cart that would be used if there would be any kind of reload of a game you already own WICH THERE WILL NOT BE!!!!

Plus it goes to reason that people with N64 cartridges lying about will tend to have an N64 to play it on.
If I had an N64 and a Wii that could play N64 cartidges I'd play them on the N64 because of the controller. I love that controller...

Dreammer said:
I was told perfect dark for the 64 was going to be availible as adownload; is this not true?

Dreammer

As Rare is now owned by Microsoft, only a few 'characters' remain property of Nintendo (e.g. Donkey Kong). When Nintendo and Rare ended their contracts with each other, they looked at ownership and created a list of who would have the rights to what. Perfect Dark ended up with Rare, which allowed for Perfect Dark Zero to be released on the XBox 360. In short, Rare own all rights to perfect dark and so therefore it will not be released on the VC as Nintendo have no rights to use it.

The only way it could ever be released is if Nintendo where to talk to Microsoft about the sales issues. But this won't happen as the legal implications for one game are hardly worth it.

Back