Experiencing Common Black-Screen Issue

AgentGibbs

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2013
Rhode Island
Hello,

I recently picked up my Nintendo Wii again to replay some old games. Shortly after, I came across an issue that, upon extensively searching the web, appears to be fairly common, albeit lacking unanimous solutions. Many individuals who experience the problem do so under different conditions, so I am going to be as detailed as possible. Please read everything before answering.

I turned on the Wii and immediately went into the settings to fix the internal clock, as it always seems to be slightly off. During this process, the screen went black for about two seconds and then returned. The audio remained stable, however.

I then played The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for just over an hour, and this same issue occurred approximately every fifteen minutes, and it was seemingly random. I doubt the game I played holds much importance, since the issue occurred at the Wii menu as well, but one or two threads in random forums had mention of worsened symptoms during Zelda.

Now, for some details...my Wii is connected via the official Nintendo component cable. Relevant Wii settings: it's set to 16:9, 480p (the only options are 480i and 480p). Note that many have claimed the issue does not occur when the setting is switched to 480i, and of course, when hooked up to composite instead of component (in which case you're forced to use 480i).

Obviously, I'm trying to keep the resolution at 480p and solve the problem, since it looks noticeably better. The issue could be due to a number of things. I came here in the hopes of finding an educated answer, hopefully by someone who experienced and solved a similar problem. I've seen the following one-line answers on random forums:
"It's your component cable."
"It's the TV."
"It's the Wii hardware. Send it in."
"It's the A/C adapter." / "You're not getting enough power to the Wii."
"It's the selector switch you're using."
"It's your A/V receiver."
etc...
While those are all certainly possibilities, none of the answers were further explained, and, quite frankly, it's a bit discouraging to see that the collection of answers given comprises the entire pool of possibiilities, haha.

Now I will explain my setup. The Wii is connected to an official Nintendo component cable, which is going to a 4-port selector switch from Monoprice. Another component cable is going from the output of the switch to the input of an A/V receiver (a Yamaha RX-A1020). Finally, an HDMI cable is going from the A/V receiver to my HDTV (Sony KDL-50R550A).

I can tell you what I know. It's not the monoprice switch, or at least it's highly doubtful. I've had a faulty switch (a Psyclone that was notorious for having issues) that basically lost signal whenever the screen produced high white levels. This issue affected EVERY system connected to the switch. The new box, however, works perfectly with every system BUT the Wii.

It could be the cable, but I don't believe this is the problem. Getting another cable is the most common solution I've seen, though. It works for some, not for others. Most people previously used third-party component cables and the official Nintendo cable remedied the situation. Others experienced the issue regardless of brand. Again, I have the official cable.

I suppose it *could* be the A/V receiver, but to clarify, it's only a few months old (the TV is BRAND NEW, only WEEKS old), and I BELIEVE I played Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the old TV, before I had to replace it. If this is true, then it rules out the A/V receiver.

The remainder are the strongest possibilities. Oh, I should add: the second most common answer given to people with my issue is that the TV has problems. In fact, there was an entire thread that consisted of people with the same issue who all had the same Sharp TVs.

My guess is that the problem might have something to do wieh either:

1) My new HDTv. It's a Sony, though, not a Sharp. Maybe it's trying to automatically detect Wii settings and failing? One thing I should mention is that, while my Wii is set to 16:9, 480P, my Sony TV says I'm in 4:3, STANDARD definition. Any ideas?

2) I suppose the fact that I have a component cable going to the receiver and an HDMI cable going to the TV would be a logical cause, since I'm forcing it to upscale, but wouldn't the other systems have the same issue? My 360 and PS3 work flawlessly. And this combination actually makes the picture less fuzzy. Besides, the one component slot on the TV is already being used, so hopefully that's not it. Thoughts?
I hope I narrowed it down enough for someone to help me come to a conclusion. Full points for a detailed answer!

To summarize:
-I lose signal every 15 minutes, but only for two seconds.
-I have component going to HDMI
-Some TV setting might have something to do with it.

I'd summarize more, but I don't want to encourage everyone against reading the entirety, haha. Thanks in advance. I know this is long, but I figured it was necessary in order to elicit responses relevant to my situation.

Edit: My A/V receiver has resolution set to auto. Might this be an issue that could be fixed by setting it to "through?" Also, could this be a lag issue? One that using Game Mode might fix? Just a few things that popped into my head. When I have time, I'll test it out if no one answers, haha.

Last edited:
Back