Face it, Blu-Ray is needed

mushroomedmario said:
are you kidding me? you incredibly missed his point! Super Mario World is still being played today over the only two decent games for ps3

Thank you for being a rational, intelligent person unlike some around here........

For those who didn't get it, let me try to explain.

I'm older than most who use this forum. I've seen this cycle happen time and time again. Developers cry out for bigger / faster / more powerful machines so that they can fulfil their vision of the perfect game. They blind us with statistics of how much better their games are than anything that has come before, but the same catalogue of poorly thought out tat is always released.

Great games do not need huge storage, they need great developers and designers with great vision.

So, as a direct answer to the original proposition, no Blu-ray isn't NEEDED.

captainff said:
Thank you for being a rational, intelligent person unlike some around here........

I'm older than most who use this forum. I've seen this cycle happen time and time again. Developers cry out for bigger / faster / more powerful machines so that they can fulfil their vision of the perfect game. They blind us with statistics of how much better their games are than anything that has come before, but the same catalogue of poorly thought out tat is always released.

Great games do not need huge storage, they need great developers and designers with great vision.

I think i was being pretty rational.

Let me try to explain as well, you have no case and it will be thrown out of court.

Ok gramps, youve seen this cycle eh? Was that when the CD era first apeard and the games had a hard time using the 3D aspect with good controls? Yea i believe so. You may be older than me, which is great cause you probably looked at a PS1 and thought "Nintendo?" but i do have things older than me. I may not have lived it but i can still relive it.

Sega Saturn was cool, it was fun but it didnt have many great games. SNES did. It may have been 2D but the people making the 2D games were like "****, we got to make this game really freakin good." The people who were on the 3D side said "Well, make it look good, as long as we do that it should sell."

This is no joke. I prefer Super Metriod over Metriod Prime. Why? I think it was the best. I feel they worked harder on that then they did the GC one. When something is 2D and small, you have to, i mean have to, make it good. Being around for a while you would know, like me, Nintendo is just full of crap. I dont care if the Wii uses DS carts, the games they are making now pale incomparison to the QUALITY of the PS and Xbox games.

An example, so you dont think i like hardcore killer games only. When the N64 and PS first came out, I wanted a N64. I thought the PS sucked. I hated it. Got both on christmas and i played N64 while my bro played PS. Super Mario 64 ok. I played the PS, my first game was Croc: Legend of the Gobos. I loved it. I started playing more PS games and thought "Wow, this rocks. I wonder why they dont make good games on the 64."

I don't think blu-ray is NEEDED. But its certainly desirable if you want to make games loaded with HD cut-scenes/movies and uncompressed high res textures... Mega CD was great for this back in the day - it truly proved that movies & cut scenes in games made a truly immersive experience... Or was it a big crock of sh*t?! The latter I think...

As for blu ray not being enough for MGS4 - Sounds like bullsh*t. The latest most powerful games console and technology isn't enough for your game?! wtf? sounds like the problem is with the developer not being able to properly utilize current technology to create a product relevent to our time...

I could say that there is a game I can imagine where you actually plug your brain into the computer and play matrix style - but the technology isn't good enough for it yet. Big deal - that would (hypothetically) mean I am a moron (as a games developer) because I'm playing with ideas in the future and not developing games properly for the now... Hideo Kojima needs to go re-evaluate MGS4 and maybe just p*ss off and bring it out on the PS4 if the (current) next/new generation of consoles isn't good enough for him.

Last edited:
The PS3 is future proof in terms of blu-ray, storage and next next-gen games ~_o, it's just too soon imo to take full advantage of the system. wii and a 360 just offer a lot more at this point, although I do think the PS3 is a good system I just feel it's not fully realized this moment in time.

captainff said:

Yes :smilewinkgrin:

not on this gen of consoles

gamercon you didn't contradict anything captainff, just that YOU liked ps2 games and didn't get any of the good 64 games(besides mario 64)

edit: i owned both and i played 64 over ps everyday, the cds scratched easily and it didn't work half the time, and the games were way better for 64, the only good game i liked for ps was hockey and tony hawk games

Last edited:
captainff said:

Bravo.

This is no joke. I prefer Super Metriod over Metriod Prime. Why? I think it was the best. I feel they worked harder on that then they did the GC one. When something is 2D and small, you have to, i mean have to, make it good. Being around for a while you would know, like me, Nintendo is just full of crap. I dont care if the Wii uses DS carts, the games they are making now pale incomparison to the QUALITY of the PS and Xbox games.

An example, so you dont think i like hardcore killer games only. When the N64 and PS first came out, I wanted a N64. I thought the PS sucked. I hated it. Got both on christmas and i played N64 while my bro played PS. Super Mario 64 ok. I played the PS, my first game was Croc: Legend of the Gobos. I loved it. I started playing more PS games and thought "Wow, this rocks. I wonder why they dont make good games on the 64."

Wrong, wrong ,wrong, Nintendo IS quality. Nintendo is the golden standard that other game are rated by
If you liked a game no one has ever heard of, over the legendary masterpiece Super Mario 64, a game that defined and set the standards of 3D platformers for years to come. Then you are just insane. Sorry but, if you cant appreciate the depth of games like goldeneye, Mario kart, TLOZ: Oricana of time and other Nintendo classics. then you are wrong, simple as.

Last edited:
true dat^^

obviously your not going to get our 100% support for blue-ray i've actually been quite open-minded to it, but as much as you ramble on about nothing, your arguements are weak

All you guys that are SO happy about Sony's future in the gaming market, and the potential success of Blu-ray and the PS3, think about this.

I seriously doubt the Sony Exec's are as optimistic as you Fan Boys, the Wii is litterally flying off the shelves, where as the Xbox 360 and PS3 are seeing low to slumping numbers in comparison to the Wii.

Bottom line, Sony's losing there ass on the PS3, and you have to see it from a business mans perspective, they dont care about guys fighting over there product on forums, and the fans "Brand Loyalty" infact, your loyalty is rediculous because seriously big companies dont give a rats ass about how dilligently you deffend there product, all they care about is MONEY!!

And as of right now the PS3 is not making the kinda money they wanted it too.

If you guys wanna talk about what technology is the next and which is better than the other, well just so you know, from a SONY, MICROSOFT, NINTENDO's (Big Businesses) point of view THE ONE THAT SELLS THE MOST UNITS IS THE BETTER MACHINE case in point: The more of a particular product there is floating around, the more support, attachments, software and the MOST important A FUTURE that particular machine has.

If i was a PS3 guy, i would be seriously worried about my shiny new console going the way of the 3DO the Neo Geo and the Jaguar game systems especially if HD-DVD wins out over Blue Ray just like VHS beat Betamax in the 80's, the PS3 is built on shaky ground right now.

The one that sells the most units has the best future PERIOD! All the crap that these Microsoft execs say about the Wii being inferior and for children and the console using technology that mimics there older systems, is a pathetic last ditch attempt to defame the Wii and hopefully kill there MASSIVE Sales.

Sony and Microsoft have gotten away from the general market, and bet all there money on the "hardcore online gamer" market, which isnt nearly as big as they thought or atleast nearly as big as the general market, and i bet the Wii is going to cause both Microsoft and Sony to completely re-tool there designing and marketing sectors of there company's.

You have to adapt or become extinct, and Nintendo just changed the future of gaming with there little cheesy, generic remote weather you like it or not.

Last edited:
Well online gaming is probably what the majority of the market look for, I see loads of complaints about the wii not having online features yet

Sigh... Let me remind all of you again. Most games don't even use of 50% of their storage capacity. This has been a fact since the SNES launched. HD graphics will need more space for textures, higher poly character models, and so forth. Even then most companies won't go near the limit of that format. Why?

It still takes time and money to fill anything to capacity. I wish more game companies were like Blizzard, Square, but they aren't. Most will give us Tony Hawk Pro Skater with 25%-50% of the format filled up. What was wrong with mutliple CDs like FF7? We not only got a game on 3 CDs, it was also only $40. If the companies can't move forward enough in standards, then giving them 1 terabyte is a total waste of money.

Gamers are craving more and to give more you need more. A game quality isn't defined by storage, but it can hinder a developers vision if they find they have to cut and remove things. Therefore, since BR is used for gaming in the PS3, it must be a welcome addition and something devs dont have to worry about.

Also, a failure of any console is a backhand to the consumer. We need Sony to survive to keep the great products coming.

Edit- Regarding multiple discs...that is fine and most don't have issues with that. It can take away from the experience having to replace discs at an intense moment, etc. It can also prove a problem in vast worlds in which you constantly roam about, like GTA, Crackdown, etc., if they reached those limits.

Last edited:
Sony will survive they were a fortune 500 company looong before the Play Station (Which by the way sony was developing a CD rom for Nintendo, and had a falling out with nintendo which resulted in the Play Station) all this would mean is that Sony would get out of the gaming market.

Anyone who thinks that Nintendo will not develop some sort of online gaming has little faith. Nintendo has been in the gaming market longer than any of the companies out now, they know what they have to do to make EVERYONE happy.

Last edited:

SHHTOP!

Hold on a second!

GAMERCON...... PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY

You've totally contradicted yourself...

GamerCon said:
Sega Saturn was cool, it was fun but it didnt have many great games. SNES did. It may have been 2D but the people making the 2D games were like "****, we got to make this game really freakin good." The people who were on the 3D side said "Well, make it look good, as long as we do that it should sell."

This is no joke. I prefer Super Metriod over Metriod Prime. Why? I think it was the best. I feel they worked harder on that then they did the GC one. When something is 2D and small, you have to, i mean have to, make it good.
You started by saying the developers all wanted blu-ray because of the possibilities it opened up in terms of game quality, then you say that smaller/ slower systems force them to work harder to create top notch content.......

I really don't want to argue over this..... if new technology was never developed we would all still be playing on ZX80's, not a good place to be...... it's just that I am fed up with the assertion that the gaming world will be a fantastic place because of the advent of blu-ray storage. Fantastic games have appeared on all systems in all generations...... they are not exclusive to one developer, one publisher, or one manufacturer. Games like SMW continue to be fantastic games because of their design. Rubbish games have appeared on all systems in all generations too, probably more dross than gems if we were to tally it up. Storage size is not the most important thing for making a great game. Talent is!

Yes I own, or have owned, every Nintendo console and handheld, but I also have owned ones by Sega and Sony, and a number of PC's, a Spectrum, a BBCB and an Amstrad(although the Xbox has never appealed to me). However I am not a fanboy. I am happy for you,or anyone else, to own whichever gaming system suits your needs and tastes. It makes not the slightest difference to me how you get your gaming thrills.
GamerCon said:
Ok gramps, youve seen this cycle eh? Was that when the CD era first apeard and the games had a hard time using the 3D aspect with good controls? Yea i believe so. You may be older than me, which is great cause you probably looked at a PS1 and thought "Nintendo?" but i do have things older than me. I may not have lived it but i can still relive it.
Oh, and about my age....... If I was a grandfather my daughter's boyfriend would be in jail right now.........

But I think you missed the point again. Being able to play on the machines is different from being there at the time, and reading article after article from developers saying they 'need more power' or 'need bigger storage'. As I said this has all happened before - not just the consoles but the developer comments. Next time around, assuming that there is another generation of consoles, there will be almost identical comments made by developers..... and there will be forums that you post on where threads like this exist. I wonder which side of the argument you will take then?

Back