Face it, Blu-Ray is needed

I could go on and on about this, but I'll keep it short:

PS3?: Terrible. Graphics don't make a game, and i could care less about graphics

Blu-ray?: DEFENENTLY not needed. Once again, I don't care about graphics

Wii success?: WILL keep on flying off the shelfs. The best games are coming out this year

END: Blu-ray is not needed, PS3 is bad, Wii will keep on dominating

Nfanboy said:
I could go on and on about this, but I'll keep it short:

PS3?: Terrible. Graphics don't make a game, and i could care less about graphics

Blu-ray?: DEFENENTLY not needed. Once again, I don't care about graphics

Wii success?: WILL keep on flying off the shelfs. The best games are coming out this year

END: Blu-ray is not needed, PS3 is bad, Wii will keep on dominating

I can agree on some of it, but part where you said graphics dont matter....pffftffs?!?!?! Come on, what if wii was stuck on PSX graphics would you play it even though it was a next-gen? Of course you wouldnt!!
O.K., and about the blu-ray< all their doing is leveling up, doing new stuff, even though what they're doing is wrong, because the way their selling, whooooo....... that is just bad, bad, BAD!!! But anyways, their just getting started, its only been 6months since the system came out! Who knows whats going to happen next year, so its best for us to wait next year 08, then start talking about this blu-ray crap!!

(Oh, you got to admit that blu-ray is actually beating HD-DVD to the Punch and Microsoft is thinking of leaving HD-DVD for Blu-ray! So you know what, i aint got nothing else to say, but to wait, you can say whatever you want about blu-ray being bad and all for the PS3, but what if the PS3 somehow or someway starts selling, well not this year, but next year, or the year after it, thats all im saying!!! After all, we both have our own opinions!)

Eh they will probably be needed for 'Convenience' (or however its spelled). But they arent needed for the game to be there. Itll definitly help the Ps3 with its games, but its not going to make it any more special in the sales department. Im not worried bout it since the Wii wont have graphics that need 20gbs of space :p

My two cents..

Everyone makes valid points. A good game is a good game regardless of the graphics or the storage size. However, taking the same good game and vamping the graphics is a definite plus. That's why people have been wishing for Squaresoft to remake Final Fantasy VII for years.

What it really comes down to is how much time developers are willing to put into these games. Making a great game out of 1s and 0s may not take much time at all, but no one would play it. However making a game with all the thrills and fancy graphics with no fun factor won't get any buyers either. It's the ability of balancing these two attributes that makes games into the classics they are.

There is no doubt in my mind that PS3 has the POTENTIAL of being the best of the bunch, but its games suffer in their inability to produce quality stories and memorable characters. It's like the movie industry wasting all their money in special effects and forgetting about the plot (Spider-man 3 anyone?).

For some of you who argue that Sony has not been able to successfully push a media format (Betamax, Minidisc, Memory stick), while I certainly agree, Nintendo hasn't been doing well either with its last couple endeavors (N64, Gamecube). While some people would say Nintendo is learning from their mistakes with the Wii, you could say that Sony is learning from their mistakes with Blueray. Every industry makes mistakes.. maybe this is the year they all figure out what the hell is going wrong.

I own a Wii. The last system I ever owned was the SNES. My cousins owned the PSX and the PS2, so I never had to go out of my way to buy it. Point is, while I hope everyday for the Wii to have a bright future, it's not going to stop me from appreciating what other industries have to offer. I have friends who have PS3s and XBox 360s, and I fully expect to be able to play the next Final Fantasy or Halo 3 when they come out.

Last edited:
When the big 42 inch flat TVs came out, did the majority of the human race buy them in the first year? No. The first 5 years? No. However the opposite for the I-Pod. Some technology takes off day one, despite the cost, other technology drags, and finally some technology goes the way of Beta Max. Only time will tell if Blue Ray is here to stay. I personally say we'll have a clear picture by 2009.

Dear lord, I take a break and all the kid fanboys flyout of the closet. Like a fly on a hot turd, they gather.

threadcrappingje4.jpg

Many of you cant seem to realize that the gaming industry NEEDs bigger storage mediums, just as consoles now NEED hard dives inside them. That NEED is based off the idea of .. PROGRESSION.

Right now developers are restricted and held back by the storage mediums they use. Developers sit around in a meeting and describe the best game they want to make and then when they get to making that a reality, they are FORCED to take out some of those great things because they cant fit them onto a disc.

Thats reality folks. Developers who take pride in their work are artists. What do you think would happen if you gave a famous director like Ridley Scott or George Lucas a small handy camcorder with minidv film? Those directors wouldnt be able to do jack **** compared to what they are capable of doing.
Now give them 35-mm film and a motion camera to use it. What do you think would happen? Star wars would happen.. Gladiator would happen. Give a developer a 4gig dvd and then give that developer a 50gig blue ray. YOU TELL ME WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. Yeah, use your heads folks. Its not about graphics, its about potential. Bigger diskspace means more gameplay types, more features, more content, bigger worlds, more voices/sounds/sfx, it means new gameplay.

New technology was always apart from the consumer, but thats chaning. There is no excuse for something like the Wii to still be running off a 700mhz processor (gamecube was 500mhz) while the rest of gaming is running off of Gigahertz. There is no excuse but to save money and make a bigger profit. I dont hate the wii, but I find it funny that people dont even know when they are getting shafted.

Those who have the power for good and choose not to use it are the same as those who use the power for bad. In this case, companies have the ability to make gaming bigger and better. Lift those restrictions, those limits and you will find that your favorite style of play can be made better. You dont need better graphics to make a good game, BUT you expect progression. We are a creature of progression, it is expected for there to be improvments, not stagnation.

Blue ray was needed for the console market.

Another reason why? Take a guess at how much piracy is going on today? Ill make it easy for you. ALOTOFPIRACYISGOINGON!!! Piracy was why a lot of PC game developers looked to the Console market. The console market isnt safe from piracy either. One search on the internetweb will show you this. I can play games before they are even out free.

Why blue ray prevents piracy? You go ahead and download a game over 20gigs and tell me how that works out. Lets face it, developers said they want to protect their games. They also said they would LOVE to use up all those 50gigs. Go ahead and download that 50gigabyte game. It will hurt piracy.

Blue ray IS needed. Just as hard drives are needed in consoles, just as rumble+motion sensing or wireless is needed. JUST AS internet play is needed. Progression is an expectation, deny that expectation and you might as well say your happy with playing with sticks and a dead dog.

Read what the DEVELOPERS are saying, not what you wish to believe. Kill your damn bias and get real. Blue ray, as a large medium of storage, IS needed.

Finally, Blue ray isnt Sony. Blue Ray is:
Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment

Thats 18 out of 180 companies that know that we NEED it.

While you kids think that Betamax was a failure, you FAIL to realize that though it did not take off in the consumer market, it effected and was successful within the FILM production market. YEAH thats right, Hollywood... movies.. television.. professionals used it to MAKE movies. Its tech is still seen today. I would know, I work in the FILM INDUSTRY. Betamax wasnt a failure in reality. Its used today while VHS? well we know the story.

Face it, some of you dont know ****.

Who here, besides Shift, can say what DVD and UMD stand for?

Who thought it meant Digital Video Disc? I know someone did.

And good for you!

Robin_Good_are_you_one_350o.jpg

Many of you cant seem to realize that the gaming industry NEEDs bigger storage mediums, just as consoles now NEED hard dives inside them. That NEED is based off the idea of .. PROGRESSION.

No they don't. If they needed them, the game industry wouldnt be making games right now, they would all be sitting around twiddling their thumbs saying "where is blu ray? we need blu-ray!!!"

But they aren't, and they wont. So see the difference between NEEDS and WANTS.

Right now developers are restricted and held back by the storage mediums they use. Developers sit around in a meeting and describe the best game they want to make and then when they get to making that a reality, they are FORCED to take out some of those great things because they cant fit them onto a disc.

Tough $hit if they can't fit it onto a disk, use 2 or 3 disks. If the features are worth keeping, they would find a way.
Thats reality folks. Developers who take pride in their work are artists. What do you think would happen if you gave a famous director like Ridley Scott or George Lucas a small handy camcorder with minidv film? Those directors wouldnt be able to do jack **** compared to what they are capable of doing.
Now give them 35-mm film and a motion camera to use it. What do you think would happen? Star wars would happen.. Gladiator would happen. Give a developer a 4gig dvd and then give that developer a 50gig blue ray. YOU TELL ME WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. Yeah, use your heads folks. Its not about graphics, its about potential. Bigger diskspace means more gameplay types, more features, more content, bigger worlds, more voices/sounds/sfx, it means new gameplay.

Zelda TP comes on a dvd, not a blu ray. but it is still a far superior game to anything on the PS3 despite all the blu ray bollocks.

Your reasoning is BIGGER DISK MEANS BETTER GAMES LOL. but if you really think thats true u r retarded

New technology was always apart from the consumer, but thats chaning. There is no excuse for something like the Wii to still be running off a 700mhz processor (gamecube was 500mhz) while the rest of gaming is running off of Gigahertz. There is no excuse but to save money and make a bigger profit. I dont hate the wii, but I find it funny that people dont even know when they are getting shafted.

Shafted? hellooo? you paid $600 for a wankstain console that is made by a company tha has a reputation for being least loyal to its fans that any other. I paid 160 quid for my wii u tell me who got shafted.
Those who have the power for good and choose not to use it are the same as those who use the power for bad. In this case, companies have the ability to make gaming bigger and better. Lift those restrictions, those limits and you will find that your favorite style of play can be made better. You dont need better graphics to make a good game, BUT you expect progression. We are a creature of progression, it is expected for there to be improvments, not stagnation.

Yeah good point, wait didnt sony forget somethin? Oh yeah rumble, something the N64 pioneered and has been the industry standard since. Sony is taking steps backward, not forward

Blue ray was needed for the console market.

Another reason why? Take a guess at how much piracy is going on today? Ill make it easy for you. ALOTOFPIRACYISGOINGON!!! Piracy was why a lot of PC game developers looked to the Console market. The console market isnt safe from piracy either. One search on the internetweb will show you this. I can play games before they are even out free.

Point me to a site where i can play games that aren't even out yet for free. They dont exist.

Why blue ray prevents piracy? You go ahead and download a game over 20gigs and tell me how that works out. Lets face it, developers said they want to protect their games. They also said they would LOVE to use up all those 50gigs. Go ahead and download that 50gigabyte game. It will hurt piracy.

bollocks piracy will always exist don't u think when people first got DVDs they were like' this is the end of piracy this new format is harder to piratise!"
Piracy will move on as the industry moves on, BTW it takes me about 12 hours to download a 20 gig file.....so whatever.

Read what the DEVELOPERS are saying, not what you wish to believe. Kill your damn bias and get real. Blue ray, as a large medium of storage, IS needed.

Finally, Blue ray isnt Sony. Blue Ray is:
Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment

Thats 18 out of 180 companies that know that we NEED it.

Right so %10............do you think that's a lot? how about the %90 of developers who think it's uneccasry? dumass.

While you kids think that Betamax was a failure, you FAIL to realize that though it did not take off in the consumer market, it effected and was successful within the FILM production market. YEAH thats right, Hollywood... movies.. television.. professionals used it to MAKE movies. Its tech is still seen today. I would know, I work in the FILM INDUSTRY. Betamax wasnt a failure in reality. Its used today while VHS? well we know the story.

Face it, some of you dont know ****.

WTF? now you are defending betamax? wtf IS BETA MAX? ive never even heard of it. But ive heard of VHS, in fact i probally have about 200 VHS taps in my house somewhere. Wonder who really won that fu<king race huh?

Shiftfallout said:
Congradulations, you can use the interwebnets!
Actually I went to college (before university) and have a;
HNC in Electronic & Audio Engineering,
and also a,
HND in Audio Engineering & Music Production
So I generally know something about electronic devices - and try to keep up to date on latest technological developments in the home-media market.

Your pissing me off and should be pissing yourself off cause your saying the most retarded ****.

SamuS said:
No they don't. If they needed them, the game industry wouldnt be making games right now, they would all be sitting around twiddling their thumbs saying "where is blu ray? we need blu-ray!!!"

But they aren't, and they wont. So see the difference between NEEDS and WANTS.
Good one. Thats like saying "Im not going to work til i get a car." It would make it easier to get to work and expand your work radius, but your not going to sit around and do nothing cause you need MONEY FOR THE CAR. Just like they needed tech to improve before they could GET Blu-Ray.

Tough $hit if they can't fit it onto a disk, use 2 or 3 disks. If the features are worth keeping, they would find a way.

They would and they have. The problem is it results in a very linear game. You will be taking paths, a lot of them, and they want to avoid doing that.

Zelda TP comes on a dvd, not a blu ray. but it is still a far superior game to anything on the PS3 despite all the blu ray bollocks.

If that was a "Superior game" then any Zelda game released will be superior. It was a good twist to an old style. You did the same temples, same place (Hyrule), same characters, same story but now with a Star Wars 'Dark side'. It also fit on a GC disc. Its not like the map was huge anyways.

Anything on the PS3? Are you a psychic? Since even Nintendo will use Blu-Ray, i wouldnt say anything bad about it.

Your reasoning is BIGGER DISK MEANS BETTER GAMES LOL. but if you really think thats true u r retarded

Well no, the reason is bigger disc (with a 'c', 'k' is like floppy disk) means bigger games. Besides, whats your reasoning, bigger sales means better console? What happened to good games? I guess that doesnt matter anymore.

Shafted? hellooo? you paid $600 for a wankstain console that is made by a company tha has a reputation for being least loyal to its fans that any other. I paid 160 quid for my wii u tell me who got shafted.

How the **** is Sony known for being "Least loyal"?? They have year after year produced the best games the world has seen. What has Nintendo done? They sat on their fat ass's and was like "How can we trick them into giving us money?" What did you get with your Wii? Another ****ing GC. WOW! You sure got the better deal there. Why would i want a console thats improving? Thats retarded, i want a lazy company that dishes out mario games like a dog with diarrhea.

Yeah good point, wait didnt sony forget somethin? Oh yeah rumble, something the N64 pioneered and has been the industry standard since. Sony is taking steps backward, not forward

Well they got sued for using it, or they would have. And God of War 3 will have rumble.

Now you want to talk about industry standards. OK, lets. The N64 didnt even come with its full power. You had to buy an Expansion Pack to even play some of the games, most of them. To bad that idea didnt take off, i love buying add ons just to play a game. They used a stupidly small disc for the GC. It didnt matter though, the games they made werent very big anyways. Sucks, they missed another world changing development. Memory Cards used Blocks, how retarded is that. Once again, no dice. The controller has changed since day one. Even now they cant find a happy medium.

Nintendo is the standard for NOTHING anymore. Havent you noticed when they make a game, they dont compare it to mario? Probably cause they used him so much, no one cares anymore. Now games have to live up to PS standards. If you really think they will base a game off Super Mario Sunshine, u r reterded.

Point me to a site where i can play games that aren't even out yet for free. They dont exist.

I would but im not allowed to.

bollocks piracy will always exist don't u think when people first got DVDs they were like' this is the end of piracy this new format is harder to piratise!"
Piracy will move on as the industry moves on, BTW it takes me about 12 hours to download a 20 gig file.....so whatever.

Ok but how many people have Blu-ray drives in their comps? Not you, i know that much. So even if you did download the file, its useless in your hands, and millions of others as well. So someone, like you, downloads a new PS3 game but, whats this!? You dont have a Blu-Ray burner?? Well looks like your SOL, thus making pirating pointless for a while.

Right so %10............do you think that's a lot? how about the %90 of developers who think it's uneccasry? dumass.

Well for some reason people think the 2% backing HD-DVD's is enough for them to win so, yea i think thats a lot.

Find me a quote that says Blu-Ray is uneccasry. Not a media propaganda, but and actual person who matters.

WTF? now you are defending betamax? wtf IS BETA MAX? ive never even heard of it. But ive heard of VHS, in fact i probally have about 200 VHS taps in my house somewhere. Wonder who really won that fu<king race huh?
If its being used by film companies then i think Beta Max won. Whats that? No body even makes VHS tapes anymore? They still use Beta Max tech to make movies? SamuS needs to STFU? I agree as he really doesnt know anything at all.

Back