Fanboyism... what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Shiftfallout

shiftfallout.com
Mar 9, 2007
Hollywood
HERES AN ARTICLE/BLOG FOUND ON GAMESPOT BY A USER THAT CLEARLY HAS A HEAD ON HIS SHOULDERS. I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GIVE IT A READ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fanboyism... what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

The Summer is upon us which means the "dry season" of actual video game releases but it also means the time when we get nothing but trailers and teasers for games coming out during the holiday season. What this really means is that this is the time when fanboys have a field day.

For the first time since I joined Gamespot back in 03 I actually took some time to check out the "System Wars" forum. I wasn't there because I actually have any kind of opinion I went to see what was going on. The "System Wars" forums scares me to be honest. It seems like the meeting place of the simple minded individual who must own a ton of stock in whatever company makes the console that they're extolling the virtues of while crushing all others. What? You mean that those people who ramble on and on about how much MS sucks or how Sony blew the PS3 launch or how the WII is just for kids don't own stock? You mean they gain nothing from crushing products they don't have? What?

I have used my columns in the past to talk about the market and such and while I don't want to continue with that theme I will at least one more time. Let me put this as simply as possible... every fanboy out there who talks about how great ______ console is benefits from the consoles that they go on and on about how much they suck.

Competition from other companies is what drives the video game industry whether they want to admit it or not. If it wasn't for the current crop of companies making consoles and games the video game industry would be crap. You think that having your console "win" the console war (whatever the hell that is) that the industry will be better?

Lets take this to a smaller scale and show you an example. Back in the day the NFL used to allow multiple developers to produce football games. Lately, only EA has been allowed to produce an NFL game. How's that turned out? There has been a lack of evolution in Madden ever since it got the exclusive liscense. Back when 2k Games and EA were making games they were constantly battling for your dollar. They had to outdo the other company so that you as the comsumer would buy their game. Now and I'm not here to bash EA, it seems like they've gotten lazy with Madden. I don't know for a fact that they're sitting around just saying "screw everyone, we're going totally half-@$$ is this year" but without someone else out there there has been no real incentive to innovate the series.

With that being said lets look at the big picture. If MS, Sony, or Nintendo were the only company out there producing consoles how many people think that Xbox Live would be as great as it is? How many people think Nintendo would have totally thought outside the box when they came up with the WII's control scheme? How many people think Sony would have designed the hardcore technological marvel that is the PS3? The answer is none of them! Each of these things that makes each console so different or innovative was born out of the idea of doing something different from the other guys! Without competition we might still just be playing the Super Nintendo for all we know.

Back in the day when Nintendo was king the innovation came in the form of games and not technology. It was the software companies trying to diferentiate themselves from other companies and we got some great games. The thing is that the softare part of the gaming industry will always have competition because there is a huge need for games but the consoles are expensive to develop and produce, not to mention that the console makers totally take a bath on profits for the first year or so until the consoles themselves become profitable.

So everytime someone talks about how much they hate MS and only own a PS3 or WII or whatever the hell they babble on about just remind them that if it wasn't for the other companies that apparently suck so much the industry would completely be in the toilet. Fanboyism doesn't do anyone any good. It is just a way to get simple minded people all worked up over nothing. If they think their ramblings on the forums have any real effect on the market and the industry they are just flat wrong. In fact they might be hurting the industry.

Look at certain video game franchises that have their hardcore fanboys. Naruto, Dragonball Z, and others have games constantly churned out that are complete and absolute garbage because the developers know that their fanboys are so enraptured with the franchise that they'll shell out their money for substandard titles. If thats the case then what is out there to prevent the console makers from doing the same thing? What if they knew that they had this loyal fanboy fanbase that they could just churn out crap and it would get bought?

So in closing, the fanboys need to tone it down and take a second to think about what they're actually trying to accomplish by crushing the other console makers. And if you take the time to think about it and can't come up with answer allow me to answer the question for you: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I think Sony will still make great consoles if Nintendo and Microsoft were out, just might be a lot more expensive.

before any wii fanboys post here, just use this comment i have prerendered for you.

soz? this still dosent change the FACT that ps3 and 360 (just graphics, AND TAHTS ALL!) still suxors and wii is the best and will win 4ever

great article.

LOL, not quite the reception I envisioned when I opened the thread.

How old is that? I think i remember it from a while ago when I still frequented the forum.

Nice article.

Just for sovieto....here's some rep shift.

soz? this still dosent change the FACT that ps3 and 360 (just graphics, AND TAHTS ALL!) still suxors and wii is the best and will win 4ever.

:lol: No I don't really think that, don't flame me. :scared:

Wiily Good said:
soz? this still dosent change the FACT that ps3 and 360 (just graphics, AND TAHTS ALL!) still suxors and wii is the best and will win 4ever.

Flame on!
torch.jpg

Wiily Good said:

JUst STFU! You're not helping the situation.

:lol: joke

:lol: Like Gameron says :lol:

True that!! :)

crap.........DP.......sorry. I like the article a lot though.

Edit: Response to below: Tails is right.

Last edited:
Nice article.
Fanboism serves more of the company of what they support more than it does for themselves. But if there were no fanboism, I think both would benefit quite well (the customer and the company). I doubt thats ever going to happen though. There will always be "that other one."

Fanboyism doesnt always come in Negative ways. The term 'Fanboy' means a person who likes one thing over another. So Shift, you could be a Ps3 Fanboy.. but thats not saying that your spammy and offensive like some of the people on Wiichat.

Theres just different degrees of Fanboyism on Wiichat..

Examples:

Wii&Ps3 - Ps3 Super Flamomatic If you dont like Ps3 your nobody.

Shiftallout - Ps3 Super giveinfo but doesnt uusally try to be offensive in his posts or flamma.

Sovieto - Xbox360 fanboy that surely likes Xbox360 more but does not hate the other consoles and doesnt try to proove that Xbox is best all the time.

Bunch of people - Wii fanboys who are 100% sure everythings inferior..

and so on..

Last edited:
So..whys it in the PS3 section anyway? It seems to cover all three consoles, but I'm just wondering why here.

Also its a great article and all, but it sure as hell wont stop people...most people who are "Fanboys" (Which is such an over used term now that its seriously lost its meaning..I mean cmon, anyone can be a fanboy, doesnt mean you push your console/whatever on others, just means your a fan of something...) will just assume this is another flaming thread to which (I mean no offense to this Shift) Shift will just logicly argue with them with these facts from here and these figures from there until it all comes down to name calling...

I generaly think just ignoring the (god that word again) "Fanboys" is the best route to take rather than fueling them...nothing will stop them at the end of the day, so why bother trying?

This post made more sense in my head anyway.

Jay61 said:
So..whys it in the PS3 section anyway? It seems to cover all three consoles, but I'm just wondering why here.

Also its a great article and all, but it sure as hell wont stop people...most people who are "Fanboys" (Which is such an over used term now that its seriously lost its meaning..I mean cmon, anyone can be a fanboy, doesnt mean you push your console/whatever on others, just means your a fan of something...) will just assume this is another flaming thread to which (I mean no offense to this Shift) Shift will just logicly argue with them with these facts from here and these figures from there until it all comes down to name calling...

I generaly think just ignoring the (god that word again) "Fanboys" is the best route to take rather than fueling them...nothing will stop them at the end of the day, so why bother trying?

This post made more sense in my head anyway.

Thats why i post here about once a week (sometimes close to a month now). Posts here are usually close to useless now, or trying to pwn another console or flame.

Wll, theres no real need to cut down...I just ignore people...its not too hard.

Or sometimes if I'm in a good mood I imaging they said something else :lol:

Erm..yeah but thats just my way of dealing with 'em.

PtonJalken said:
Fanboyism doesnt always come in Negative ways. The term 'Fanboy' means a person who likes one thing over another. So Shift, you could be a Ps3 Fanboy.. but thats not saying that your spammy and offensive like some of the people on Wiichat.

Theres just different degrees of Fanboyism on Wiichat..

Examples:

Wii&Ps3 - Ps3 Super Flamomatic If you dont like Ps3 your nobody.

Shiftallout - Ps3 Super giveinfo but doesnt uusally try to be offensive in his posts or flamma.

Sovieto - Xbox360 fanboy that surely likes Xbox360 more but does not hate the other consoles and doesnt try to proove that Xbox is best all the time.

Bunch of people - Wii fanboys who are 100% sure everythings inferior..

and so on..

Nice im at the top of the foodchain :smilewinkgrin:

Back