Faster? WIFI vs. LAN adapter

courtwshr1

WiiChat Member
Dec 30, 2007
I have a wireless network in my home, but my Wii sits right next to my router. I've already configured the Wifi...which works - but from my brief experience browsing the Wii Shop Channel and system updates, it seems VERY slow (1 full minute to load a page of news, for example). Can anyone tell me if I will get faster speeds with a USB LAN adapter plugged directly in to my router? Obviously the $20 would be well spent if I get faster speeds. Thanks.

yea, it all dpends on your internet speed at your home pretty much.

i honestly do not think that it makes a big difference but my wii sits pretty far from my wifi and i have used both and i have to say the wireless is faster...go figure that one...

Thanks for the responses - it seems Wifi is just as fast as LAN, but does what I described sound appropriate. Loading a page of news ~ 1min. System update ~ 5-7 mins (first time). Loading Wii Shop Virtual Console pages ~ 20-30seconds. Is that about right? Will I still be able to play Internet multiplayer games? I have broadband cable internet and theoretically should not have a speed problem.

I have a wireless n router with upto 300mbps and it sits in the room next to the wii and my internets very fast. keep in mind that having a strong internet connection wont change the fact that it has a 802.11g wireless card 54mbps max.
i recommend the lan adapter ull never lose connection.

Wired is faster, definitely.

Max rating for wireless is 54Mbps and Cat 5e is 100Mbps, and wireless, in reality, will rarely get close to that. To much packet interruption, interference, and data loss with wireless in comparison to wired. 90% throughput for wired compared to about half that for wireless.

I've considered getting a lan adapter to for this reason, despite haven't a rather strong wireless connection.

Likewise I don't think you will gain much, the LAN will be able to through put faster 100Mbps compared to 54 Mbps for Wifi but the amount of information transferred to the Wii is neglagable the speed of download will have more to do with internet traffic and your broadband speed.
I find WiFi ok for all but high res Video as long as you have a good conection e.g no wall or other structures between the Wifi router and the reciving PC/Console

fistpittingnork said:
Wired is faster, definitely.

Max rating for wireless is 54Mbps and Cat 5e is 100Mbps, and wireless, in reality, will rarely get close to that. To much packet interruption, interference, and data loss with wireless in comparison to wired. 90% throughput for wired compared to about half that for wireless.

I've considered getting a lan adapter to for this reason, despite haven't a rather strong wireless connection.

Oh, like mentioned above me, I should also state that this is dependent on so many different variables. So understand I was speaking in theory.

In your case, it almost sounds like your best bet is just at least give it a try, you could probably expect at least the same performance. $30 isn't pocket change, but it wouldn't be much of a lost investment if you saw no difference in speeds.

i think wifi would be faster, but many times it doesnt make difference, if u have a good connection

Back