Final nail in Sony's coffin = Walmart

Shiftfallout said:
If you look at the lord of the rings trilogy, the bluray version is the only one that has all the extended features and specials.

According some analysis done at HD digest, the current catalog of reviews shows HD-DVD have a nearly 1.5:1 advantage on additional content. BD having about a 10-12% advantage on the audio component, HD-DVD having about the same advantage on the video component.

Part of the problem with BD has the been the so-so BD-Java API, it's been a moving target, many players missed the Profile 1.1 spec and the HD development system is much faster, less bug prone for development. HD (w/HDi) had a better minimum spec for their 1st gen players (and earlier HD-D movies use a much better CODEC though now BD has caught up in that capacity).

Shiftfallout said:
Sadly, people are being forced to get both bluray and HDdvd if they wish to enjoy the best films out there in high rez.

Agreed. That's why I have a UP5000 on order (though I might not be able to pass this deal up as a 2nd player). It offers Dolby True and DTS HD & Master decoding, 7.1 analog output, full interactivity with both formats, and an amazing Reon HQV upscaling processor.

Right now I want the remastered/reshot OST Trek, BSG and Pirates (x3) - that means supporting both formats!

Last edited:
When I watch my co workers eat one candy bar after another I question if they have any will power. You make it sound easy, but people look at me like a freak because I choose to avoid junk food. I'll have to argue they are addicted, and the way the corporations slant things people will continue down that path without even questioning why. There's no way such an insane system could last forever. I really feel they do it because they are conned into it, the same way a drug dealer gets people to buy drugs.

Much thanks to Spyro, I think I'm going to wade into Walmart tomorrow, see how things shake down. The Free 5 is still going for this through Feb, it's one of those choose one each from 5 groups, some are terrific (Full Metal Jacket) others not so much, but not aweful (just not on my "must have" for HD list).

~DT

sagema said:
When I watch my co workers eat one candy bar after another I question if they have any will power. You make it sound easy, but people look at me like a freak because I choose to avoid junk food.

I understand with was some kind of metaphor for "the evil corporate machine" or something, but we eat super healthy too, and the only comments I ever get are "OMG, I thought you were 10 years younger" :D

No transfats, no HFCS, low sugar, nothing processed, etc., and I feel great (and the food we make is tremendous).

Sweet, got to Wallymart about 8:40a, got in the line - about 20 people in front of me but most were buying the cheap notebook on sale. The line was SLOW. The guy in front on me said he saw about 10 on the DVD aisle up high in the overstock area, plus there were like 6 on a handtruck right at the counter. I felt like a Day of the Dead zombie w/o coffee, shuffling in line for consumer products...

$99 and I'm HD! Er, not sure about the dual format I had on order, seems pricey at this point, maybe I'll cancel and wait till after Christmas to worry about that. Picked up a copy of Transformers, since it's *the* HD-DVD exclusive this year (plus I dug on it).

I think I'm going to pickup a Gefen 4x1 Tv Switcher, pretty sweet auto-switching/remote 4 to 1 HDMI box that's pretty cheap (relative to most HMDI switchers).

Later, must code and/or sleep/watch Transformers ~

[DT] said:
Sweet, got to Wallymart about 8:40a, got in the line - about 20 people in front of me but most were buying the cheap notebook on sale. The line was SLOW. The guy in front on me said he saw about 10 on the DVD aisle up high in the overstock area, plus there were like 6 on a handtruck right at the counter. I felt like a Day of the Dead zombie w/o coffee, shuffling in line for consumer products...

$99 and I'm HD! Er, not sure about the dual format I had on order, seems pricey at this point, maybe I'll cancel and wait till after Christmas to worry about that. Picked up a copy of Transformers, since it's *the* HD-DVD exclusive this year (plus I dug on it).

I think I'm going to pickup a Gefen 4x1 Tv Switcher, pretty sweet auto-switching/remote 4 to 1 HDMI box that's pretty cheap (relative to most HMDI switchers).

Later, must code and/or sleep/watch Transformers ~

Any more?!! I really would love one but we dont have anywhere near that price in the UK.

Oh yeah, 5 free HD-D's too from a rebate/mail-in (hell, that makes the player basically free )

So you pick one from each group (some good stuff, and some so-so stuff):

Aeon Flux
Babel
The Italian Job

The Hulk
Pitch Black
The Thing

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Swordfish
Full Metal Jacket

Troy
The Frighteners
U2: Rattle and Hum

Black Rain
Darkman
Firewall

I'm thinking:

The Italian Job
The Thing
FMJ
Troy
Darkman

?

aeon flux / italian job (new or old??)
pitch black
Swordfish
U2 (to sell on ebay)
firewall

Damn .. i wish I lived over there :(

I just saw the commercial on TV, and later went to work. A lot of people plan on buying this for X-mas. Sony needs to do something about this soon. The price drew them in like moths to a flame. I personally will wait until the dust settles.

I would also like to thank Spyro from brining this deal to my attention. I am now the owner of a new HD-DVD player! :thumbsup:

Skippy said:
I would also like to thank Spyro from brining this deal to my attention. I am now the owner of a new HD-DVD player! :thumbsup:

*high five*

Pick any discs? I think the wifey snuck out to score me 300 too :yesnod:

BTW, I swapped the A2 over to HDMI after getting the component DRM screen "DRM blah blah, can't upconvert, switching to 480", fired Sleepy Hallow back up, and the upconverted SD-DVD PQ is really excellent. Maybe not quite the current gen chips, but very good (better than SD P-scan).

Moved the STB over to component till I score an HDMI switcher.

anyone else think that the format war will be of no consequence down the line because all hd media will be downloaded/streamed and stored on high capacity hard drives that connect seamlessly to your home media center?

lackluster dj said:
anyone else think that the format war will be of no consequence down the line because all hd media will be downloaded/streamed and stored on high capacity hard drives that connect seamlessly to your home media center?

I'd agree that at some point, buying shiny little disks will become obsolete - I think there's as much of a psychological impediment as there is a tech/bandwidth limitation. Funny you say this, as the wifey and I were talking about "I wonder what our child will be buying for movie content when they're our age" and the first thing I said was "no more physical media you go out and purchase, just massive bandwidth and some kind of localized storage".

Have you used the Netflix on demand? It's pretty decent, and with our plan it's like more than we can use (kind of older or 2nd tier titles, but it was fun during Halloween, free, cheesy horror flicks!!)

~DT

Back