Final Smashes = Final Disappointment?

You can't really say they're easy to dodge until you actually play the game. It might look like it's easy on video but who knows what will happen in game play. It might look like it's easy one a 1vs1 but what about FFA?
I don't think final smash is the thing that separates SSBB from SSBM, it's just enhances game play. If you don't like items I can see why you don't like final smash, but other then that it's a fine addition. You can say the same thing about capsules, they're just like a powerful Pokeball, but that's what makes the game all more fun.

Douten said:
You can't really say they're easy to dodge until you actually play the game. It might look like it's easy on video but who knows what will happen in game play. It might look like it's easy one a 1vs1 but what about FFA?

Actually I think it'd be about the same, if not easier, in FFA because then everyone else's focus is on the person with the Final Smash.
Not to mention that there's a good chance that with 2 other targets, you might not even be the target of the FS.
Probably the most effective way to implement a FS would be in a 2v2 team battle, because then the team could work together to use the FS best.
Or maybe when one person has the FS in FFA, an opponent could sabotage another person into getting hit by the FS without getting hit themselves...
Still, I think its something that the game could do without. Just another bell/whistle.

You are right that I won't be able to say anything for sure until March 10, but just from what I've gleaned from animations/descriptions/etc. some FS's hardly seem worth the effort.

!S

flight1991 said:
i dont like foxes, or captin falcins, i think there just stupid for some reason, they could of done better, for foxs team, there could be like an air rade on the people, and Ctp. F could of beenmake him really fast, boost his attack and defence or somtin

:yesnod:

Um... Wouldn't
Captain Falcons be the same as Wario if they did what you suggested, and what could they have done better with Captain Falcon if not using his F-Zero vehicle? I agree about what you think they could have done with Foxes though.

OPer, What your saying is your opinion, and I respect your opinion. Personally I like FS's and will be using them frequently.

Vigilante said:
OPer, What your saying is your opinion, and I respect your opinion. Personally I like FS's and will be using them frequently.

Very true. I'm not trying to say that other people shouldn't use them, or even that I wouldn't use them. But just that I was disappointed in certain aspects of the Final Smash, and especially with certain characters Final Smash.

!S

Who plays 4 Stock FFA? 5 Stock FFA is where it's at, items on Very Low. Everyone knows that.

FLYNNN said:
Who plays 4 Stock FFA? 5 Stock FFA is where it's at, items on Very Low. Everyone knows that.

Better check up on your tourney rules sir, its been 4-stock FFA No Items

If I'm playing with friends though, I'm ok with farting around with Items... However 4 has always been about the right length of time for me.
!S

Yes, final smash is certainly something the game can do without. So could it do without its many other feature, but if we strip it all of its attraction (perhaps not towards you) then it'd be more a less another SSBM.

As far as FFA goes you can't be sure that the other people hit you towards the final smash, intentionally or not. It'll be specially true in stock matches.

I'm not saying that if a character uses a final smash someone's definitely getting hit, I see weak final smashes as well (DK's). But learning to use it in the right situation is the trick, so there's actually strategies in it. It forces you to learn what best fit the character's final smash (ie. stage, amount of player, etc.) so if the scenario isn't to your advantage instead of going for the smash ball you'd just hop around damage players and try to dodge a final smash. Keeping in mind the game as a whole is probably not balanced, I believe in tier, so weak and strong final smash should be expected.

I don't think final smash is a bad addition. I can sort of see where you are disappointed, were you expecting it to be a move that the character can use? like a limit of sort, that's what I gathered, not a bad idea. Or is it that one of the character you like have weak final smash?

Douten said:
I don't think final smash is a bad addition. I can sort of see where you are disappointed, were you expecting it to be a move that the character can use? like a limit of sort, that's what I gathered, not a bad idea. Or is it that one of the character you like have weak final smash?

I've been following Smash Dojo pretty regularly since the website came up, and so I knew exactly what the mechanics for Final Smashes would be once it was released, i.e. a big move that'll do a good deal of damage / finish off people with high amounts of damage.

But the effectiveness and how the mechanic would be worked into gameplay is what was disappointing.

For some, a super-buff is exactly what their final smash is- see
Jigglypuff's, or even Bowser's transformation to GigaBowser
and thats acceptable. But when the final smash is unoriginal, ineffective, or just plain weak is where I have an issue. Certain characters have a Kamehameha-style attack, or just explosions of damage...
But the "rain from the sky" FS's seem to be the weakest of the bunch. Sure you can get hit by them, but play against
Ness
Even once and I'm sure you'd be able to avoid it the next time.

But, yet again, this is all just speculation...
Maybe come March 10th you'll be reading a post entitled "OMG FINAL SMASHES ARE SO F#$%ING SWEET"
:crazy:

!S

Back