Firmware Expandibility

eth123

WiiChat Member
Aug 1, 2006
I would like to say Hi. As I am new to this forum. It seemed like a good forum, so I decided to join. This is my first post and topic. Anyway. If you have an iPod and love the ability to try a different OS on it, you probably know about iPod Linux. A project that is basically a new OS for the iPod.

I was wondering, with the whole USB, flash card memory, and different disc sizes, would there be a chance to put other firmware on the Wii? I am sure someone will be trying to find a way to make their own software for it. Think of the possabilities. A new OS could use the USB ports for things like cameras, mice, and keyboards. It would be great to have the ability to experiment with different firmware. Who aggres?

They'll probably find a way (eventually) but as with the xbox, it might take a while.

All they have to do is hook up an external hard drive and run the software off of that. Because there are usb slots you could add a hub and then hook up keyboard and mouse and any other things you might like.

plz eth123 make some commens or introduce yourself before making a thread, anyway I think the firmware is just something stupid sony created

Sorry about this being my first post. I have read many topics and replied in my mind. I will be sure to add more comments and things soon. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

man dont worry about it , its not that big of a deal. and about your post i think eventually someone will come out with one.

Arcadium said:
plz eth123 make some commens or introduce yourself before making a thread, anyway I think the firmware is just something stupid sony created

LOL firmware is not made by sony or invented in anyway its hard coded software with in a device like a router or a nintendo ds it is not on a hard drive but rather contained with in a chip similar to a bios thats why you can reset a device like a router and it will go back to default settings because the firmware is hard coded to a chip although the firmware can sometimes be updated i'm pretty sure if you reset a device it will remove the update but thats not all devices

Ya. You can do it to a ds. Heck, they have Linux DS now. I don't wanna do it though for fear of messing it up! So chances are you will be able to, but I certainly wont be!

Back