First came the Wiimote, Then..

Bliss

WiiChat Member
Aug 28, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Looks like the future is here. A new developed brain-controlled headset is in the works. It works on 30 different brain waves. :lol: man this is gettin crazy!

headset.jpg

Just when the Wii is threatening to turn gamers into athletes, neuro-engineering company Emotiv has invented a way to play games without moving at all. The Epoc Neuro-headset is a device that you can strap to your head, like a bicycle helmet, and simply 'think' your way around a game, emoting, acting, and expressing in about 30 different ways, including pushing, winking, and appearing meditative.

The device, derived from EEGs in medical technology, works by detecting electrical signals in various parts of the brain and reproducing the symptoms of these signals in your avatar. "If you laughed or felt happy after killing a character in a game," explains Emotiv president Tan Le, "then your virtual buddy could admonish you for being callous." Not my virtual buddies.

For paralysed gamers, the Epoc obviously has huge potential, but I suspect it has a long way to go before it can realistically free the rest of us from our corporeal dependence on keyboards, mice, and highly ergonomic wireless controllers. The device will go on sale later this year, retailing at around £150.

SOURCE

where was the vid? i would like to see

yah for sure if ya stupid like i am. i wouldnt even know how to put it on

Lol, I saw the bit about the headset before I clicked on this thread and thought it was going to be about that wii helmet!

That's..wierd lol, hmmm.

well it would be inredibly hard to use. It would require 100% concentration to work. Imagine ur playing mario galaxy or summit and then the phone rings, suddenly you've jumped into a lava pit.

great this is all us americans need something to make us able to play games without any movement at all

dang man it'd be cool to try even though its hard.
first we had controllers, thats when we began to look funny.
then wii remotes, we began to move funny
now we will wear helmets, self explanatory.

This looks like a joke to me. Even if it is a serious attempt, just trying to picture some fat American sitting there plowing down a big mac while he winks his way through some game wearing that silly helmet is laughable. :lol:

For a paralyzed person, sure this a great step ahead. But I still doubt it's usefulness. There's too many movements for the head to simply give an entire layout for. Move head left to move left, right to move right, up/down, ect? The user is going to look like he's on [STRIKE]acid[/STRIKE] mushrooms half the time!

Back