First impressions of SMG?

Better than the one for n64, despite that being a classic and easily better then Sunshine.

It looks great, the music is great and its got a bit of challenges in it as well.
Loads of fun.

very very very fun..

i'm about 3 hours in, i have 10 stars and the game is just so vast its blowing my mind..

I intend to get all 121 stars, and i doubt the game will EVER get old between now and then..

I'm the kind of gamer who likes to take his time when playing a game and this game is perfect for that, i cant sit down for hours upon hours, i usually play in 90 min intervals.

you should definitely buy the game!!

there are endless possibilities in every level..when compared to SM64 i'd say its not as EPIC..but only because its different circumstances..you know?
im not taking anything away from the game its amazing, SM64 came out 11 years ago and its still fun to play today so i dont think anything will ever top SM64.

it beats out Sunshine though..just buy the game and you'll get it, theres too much to explain,.

tried it out at walmart.......and what an epic game....cant wait to get my own copy

My impressions: There are different areas in each galaxy, with INCREDIBLE graphics by the way, and the levels are quicker in a lot of cases than SM64, but IMO a lot more fun.

There are different puzzles to figure out, with some humorous scenes with the toads. :lol: It has a pretty interesting storyline and the bee suit is very creative.

Overall I'm very impressed with this and can't wait to get even more indulged. Any more questions, just PM or ask.

I am LOVING it!! Soooo much fun! I am trying to take my time and enjoy all of it, I don't want to rush through and have it be over! I have 17 stars right now.

I got the game today! I love this game. It was a bit overwhelming to me at first, had to get used to the kind of above camera angle and going around on the planets, but very cool. I like how characters talk to you in speech bubbles when you come near so you don't always have to press A to talk with them. The graphics make everything so lush and vibrant. So far each star mission has been unique and inventive, hope it keeps up. I want to play slowly through the game but it is hard to do! I really want to play straight through cause it is so much fun :lol:

Well...Don't ge me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but is anyone else finding it way too easy so far. I'm a Mario Sunshine apologist (I loved sunshine actually more than M64!) but I'm finding Galaxy to be almost no challenge 22 stars in. I would say of the 22 stars I've gotten 15 or more of them on the first try.

I'm not a "hardcore" single player gamer either...if I hit frustration points level after level in games I tend to end up never finishing them, but I've pretty muched breezed through over 20 stars. This isn't necessarily a complaint yet. The other thing is for as open of a game as it is, it's surprisingly linear...

Freaking Awesome game.

I've got 25 stars, and I'm just starting my third dome (of six).

Very original game play!

My big compliment for the game is that i think it's the first game I've gotten the completely NAILS the seemless integration of the Wiimote Nunchuck combination. Rather than making things more complicated with Wii-mote movements (like some of the shooters out there) it simply becomes an extension of the standard control set. Spin jumps, which took a tad bit of timing and perfection in previous game suddenly flow naturally from your play while any extensive use of motion is completely confined to levels that REQUIRE that type of control (like blooper surfing, etc).

Using the Wiimote for start bit collection and the spin jump you can still lounge back like you would with a standard game pad but actually still BENEFIT from the Wii controls. I would compare this extremely favorably to games like Red Steel that require you basically to sit up and maintain some sort of posuture to master movement. Gaming=Relaxation=Fun, which is what I hate about some Wii titles that just require TOO much work to be a 'lounge around' fun type game.

I really think this game was designed to showcase how natural the Wii Controls CAN be when integrated with game play properly. If this had been a launch title I think the Wii would be selling even MORE than it is now. I feel that some games like RED STEEL may have turned people off because of the less than fantastic implementation of the controls.

Last edited:
i agree that it is pretty easy so far, but its not a huge complaint. there have only been 2 stars that i have had mild difficulty with, the one where there were moving holes in the ground and the sticky situation sling pod one. i hope it gets a little harder, but if it doesnt then fine, ill just get our special character sooner. oh yeah!!!!!

ScuzzBuster said:
Well...Don't ge me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but is anyone else finding it way too easy so far. I'm a Mario Sunshine apologist (I loved sunshine actually more than M64!) but I'm finding Galaxy to be almost no challenge 22 stars in. I would say of the 22 stars I've gotten 15 or more of them on the first try.

I'm not a "hardcore" single player gamer either...if I hit frustration points level after level in games I tend to end up never finishing them, but I've pretty muched breezed through over 20 stars. This isn't necessarily a complaint yet. The other thing is for as open of a game as it is, it's surprisingly linear...

I agree, I'm on 16 stars and it has been somewhat easier and more predictable than previous titles. But I think this trend has been persisting with most of Nintendo's current gen releases (unfortunately). I was playing SM64 last week for a few days and found I died more often in that than SMG so far... but again 16 stars is obviously very early in the game. Some examples of the changes so far is the fact that jumping from tall heights doesn't hurt Mario like it used to; and performing wall jumps is much much easier. Nothing really to gripe about, but it makes completing levels a bit less risky and quicker.

The variety of things to do in the levels has trumped the games lack of difficulty for me though.

KyleForMe said:
I agree, I'm on 16 stars and it has been somewhat easier and more predictable than previous titles. But I think this trend has been persisting with most of Nintendo's current gen releases (unfortunately). I was playing SM64 last week for a few days and found I died more often in that than SMG so far... but again 16 stars is obviously very early in the game. Some examples of the changes so far is the fact that jumping from tall heights doesn't hurt Mario like it used to; and performing wall jumps is much much easier. Nothing really to gripe about, but it makes completing levels a bit less risky and quicker.

The variety of things to do in the levels has trumped the games lack of difficulty for me though.

Really?

I'm so used to the wall jump that I even not noticed :lol: I still use the old school form as I archived on SM64

This game is undoubtedly beautiful. The music, sound effects, graphics, control, there is too much to talk about. One thing that I love is when you play with another person, player 2 holds "A" and any interactive object or enemy that player 2's cross-hair star goes over will make a sound; IN TUNE WITH THE MUSIC PLAYING. It is just awesome to hear some of these fantastic songs and then slap the enemies and have it go together.

Everything is glowing from the different cosmic bodies, the music is amazing, and Mario is just zoomin' around with a comet tail of sparkles. Some of the level entrances are just amazing to watch, just mesmerizing. I've actually had to stop and restart a level just to watch Mario's entrance.

I've been playing with a friend, but he has gotten more play time in than me since I've had school since I got it and I let him play when I get home seeing as he has no Wii let alone the game.

This game is just awesome and it's definitely going to hold me a long time, but seeing as how I can't stop playing it, I may have beaten it several times and grown a bit tired of it by the time Brawl's launch date comes near. Then again, that's a few months of mastering Super Mario Galaxy; the beautiful sequel it is.

My friend is playing it now and is 57 stars in and is finding a certain level to be quite challenging. I'm sure you can expect the stars to get to the last Bowser not to difficult, but the remaining 60 or so could become a challenge.

Last edited:
Back